Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Happy July 4th

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Happy July 4th

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Though it means little over here as far as holiday or celebrations are concerned, I'm mindful of its importance and meaning to our members in the U.S.A., so...
Happy July 4th!
Hope the day goes well for you. I'm uncertain as to what actually happens in America on this day, but I'm fairly certain some celebrations will be undertaken!
In any event, I wish you a few good pipefuls today.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Happy July 4th

Postby ratatosk » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:53 am

Thanks, Steve. The 4th is quite important in US culture and involves parades, politicians out-gassing, and an enormous amount of fireworks. A century ago, the hostility towards Britain that lived on began to let go once we entered into WWI and became allies, now there is none. It's more like Bastille Day, Canada Day, Australia Day, etc., just noisier.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Happy July 4th

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:41 pm

In a much smaller and more parochial sense, it would be a little like our Guy Fawkes night, unique to the UK and which each year seems to get noisier and more aggressive in its explosions and detonations. I could do without it, I must admit, but not everyone feels that way. The burning of the 'Guy' - as in Guy or Guido Fawkes, who tried to blow up Parliament and the King, is still part of it, but mostly it's ever louder fireworks exploding midair now. When I was younger, we had just a few Catherine Wheels, sparklers and the odd rocket. Very tame.
I imagine it is not known outside the U.K. very much?
Hope the day went well.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Off-topic