Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

What are you reading?

Postby Legend » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:55 am

I'm a big-time reader, and I'm always interested in what others are reading. I just got done with Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Just started The Engineer Trilogy by K.J. Parker. I guess I'm on a British author kick. What are you other readers working on?
Legend

Re: What are you reading?

Postby BillConnelly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:59 am

Lets see, I just finished reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, which was dense and unreadable at times, but excellent at others. I'm currently reading Great Expectations, and I think I'll read Germs, Guns and Steel by Jared Diamond next.
My Blog About Booze http://www.billsbooze.com/
BillConnelly
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Legend » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:09 am

Cool-I like Dickens a lot. My next after the K.J. Parker will be Our Mutual Friend.
Legend

Postby CPWSolf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 am

The liar by stephen fry
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag
CPWSolf
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby DerikC » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Andre Gide's "The Immoralist"

I went into the library yesterday to return a past due book, but I really should have simply put it into a slot. I shouldn't be allowed in if I have a bag with me. I walked out with a book on Camus and Sartre's friendship, a book of Camus' plays, as well as "The Gay Science" and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Friedrich Nietzsche. I love reading with my pipe...but this damn cold wind is hampering my style.
"Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very early age." - Groucho Marx

Proud member of the Corncob Snob Society
DerikC

Postby ewlewis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Finsishing up "Under the Dome" by Stephen King, which a good read, but I abhor all the swearing and graphic nature of his style. I will probably never read him again. Next I will be reading some C.S. Lewis and possibly John Ortberg's "Faith and Doubt"
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby chiguire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:48 pm

On Ugliness by Umberto Eco
chiguire

Postby gnossos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 pm

On Ugliness is pretty fun! And I have a copy of The Immoralist around here somewhere... but right now I guess I'm reading Bernard Malamud's The Fixer. I just finished Take FIve by D. Keith Mano and I figure something a little more straightforward will fit the bill as a buffer.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby chaissac1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Douglas Adams--Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

I need some humour at this point in time...
Jim
chaissac1

Postby frumplestiltskin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 am

After a long string of classics (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar, The Grapes of Wrath), I'm reading a volume of Vonnegut's short fiction published posthumously, titled "Look at the Birdie". Smoking and reading are nearly inseparable for me.
frumplestiltskin

Postby Legend » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 am

ewlewis wrote:Finsishing up "Under the Dome" by Stephen King, which a good read, but I abhor all the swearing and graphic nature of his style. I will probably never read him again. Next I will be reading some C.S. Lewis and possibly John Ortberg's "Faith and Doubt"

Yes-S. King is a good author. He describes things and people so well. I recall reading "The Stand" while on a Navy deploment (nothing else to do on a ship after work is done), and I could see his character's attributes and such in some of my co-workers. All that aside, I must agree with you that he is rather crude and vulgar. That's the main reason I have not read him in awhile.
I have wanted to read some C.S. Lewis, especially the Theological stuff, which always interests me.
Legend

Postby BillConnelly » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42 am

frumplestiltskin wrote:After a long string of classics (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar, The Grapes of Wrath), I'm reading a volume of Vonnegut's short fiction published posthumously, titled "Look at the Birdie". Smoking and reading are nearly inseparable for me.

Oh, I love Vonnegut. I read everything of his I can get a hold of. In fact, I had a couple first editions at one point.
My Blog About Booze http://www.billsbooze.com/
BillConnelly
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby DerikC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:06 am

frumplestiltskin wrote:After a long string of classics (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar, The Grapes of Wrath), I'm reading a volume of Vonnegut's short fiction published posthumously, titled "Look at the Birdie". Smoking and reading are nearly inseparable for me.

You have no idea how much I sympathize with that last sentiment...

My favorite Vonnegut to date has to be "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater", of course I've yet to read Catch 22.

The Immoralist is pretty good, it's short too so it's not daunting. I'm waiting for the payoff and I think it will be a good one. Mostly because I think Gide was sort of a pre-existentialist existentialist. And they're just cool as hell.
"Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very early age." - Groucho Marx

DerikC

Postby ewlewis » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Catch 22 was written by Jos. Heller, not Vonnegut. Not that it really matters, i just wanted to point it out. And for the record I did not like Catch 22 one bit.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby gnossos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:14 pm

I didn't like Catch-22 the first time I read it, but I gave it another ago a few years later and thought it was great.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Legend » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Heller wrote a book based on the life of King David, I can't recall the title at the moment. It was really strange, and I could not get into it.
Legend

Postby gnossos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:03 pm

God Knows i believe. I haven't read it. I tried reading his short stories, meh. I think people tend to feel that Catch-22 was kind of a fluke and the rest of his stuff... eh. At least that's the impression I've gathered, though God Knows gets four stars on Amazon.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Legend » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Any Joseph Conrad fans out there?
Legend

Postby DerikC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 pm

ewlewis wrote:Catch 22 was written by Jos. Heller, not Vonnegut. Not that it really matters, i just wanted to point it out. And for the record I did not like Catch 22 one bit.

I said Catch 22, and was thinking Breakfast of Champions. I have no excuse for that thought process haha.

DerikC

Postby jms » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:45 am

After watching the movie Sideways the other night, I was prompted to go on a rampant search through the dustbin of older books I have and pull out all 713 pages of Alexis Lichine's Encyclopedia of Wines & Spirits (1973).

Excerpt:

"However they discovered it, the Persians evidently loved wine: according to Herodotus, all important matters were discussed twice in the councils of state- once when they were drinking, and again when they were sober."
---------
Jeff
jms
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Next

Return to General Off-topic