Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Couple of books. First, a novel set in ancient Rome by UK author Lindsey Davies, 'The Ides of April'. A sort of whodunit, really. Entertaining, light and just the thing for whiling away a few moments. The second is a biography of Henri Nouwen, a Dutch theologian, priest and counsellor, who was a prolific author but who endured many difficult and personal inner issues alongside his outer famous and hectic life and career. It has been informative, challenging and inspirational. I'm nearly at the end of this and it goes back shortly to a friend who loaned it me. An excellent read, carried out in many short instalments.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:53 am

The Iron Horse, the fourth volume in The Railway Detective series, by Edward Marston.

These books are easily read, but not so easily enjoyed. A surprisingly poorly-written series thus far, in my humble opinion :(
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:07 am

I have read one of those Marston books. Quite enjoyable, though now I cannot remember the title (it was a library book going back a few year now). Pleasant and easy going. Very 'English' in character and could be set alongside the Christie work as typical of British crime drama. I enjoyed it. I finished the Ides of April last evening and now need to get a couple more books from the library.
However, just started reading 'Lamentations' by CJ Sansom, part of his Shardlake series set in the reign of Henry VIII. The whole series so far has been superb and this latest is no exception if the couple of chapters covered so far are anything to go by. Reading it on Kindle and it will be a favourite 'go to' read over the next couple of months.
G.
Geo3rge

Postby Falconeer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm working my way through Friedrich Engels' "The Condition of the Working Class in England" of 1845 - and finding it highly absorbing and interesting; it does make me ask how much has really changed since then - the long working hours and dangerous industry may have virtually gone, but I'm not convinced that basic attitudes of big business and what passes for government have really changed dramatically.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm

813, by Maurice Leblanc, an Arsene Lupin story.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Terrier » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Sioux Dawn by Terry C johnston. A historical novel set in post Civil War America, dealing with the clash of western and native american civilization, culminating the the Fetterman massacre.
Terrier

Postby aquaholic » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Just finished Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. Last book of the Century Trilogy
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Piperman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Alan Ford.
Igor Image - Pipe Dreamer
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:49 am

Probably because of all the Tudor references at the moment (Lamentations by CJSansom and the TV 'Wolf Hall'), I'm going back to a biography of Thomas More, one of the key figures of that period of our history. I began this book five years ago! I read small chunks but am determined to get there in the end. Fascinating insights into a lost world, really, and the events of those times have a direct influence on the nation as it is today. I should do more of this, getting to know my country's history better.
G.
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:08 am

Ruth Rendell-The Girl Next Door. Great read. With PDJames (recently passed away) these two ladies create gripping, atmospheric and brooding works that linger long after their books have been read, or re-read in my case.
As well as the above, still working my way through an interesting biography of Thomas More by Peter Ackroyd, one of whose other books, Dickens, was an equally informative and engaging read.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:33 pm

The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth - H. G. Wells
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ratatosk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:15 pm

For some months, I have been reading The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon and am about through page 1100 (of around 3800 as paginated on an ipad2). Interesting stuff, most of what I knew about Roman History was from having taken two years of Latin back when people did that and from a lifelong interest in military and naval history. Suffice it to say that I did not actually know that much.

This is somewhat difficult reading partly because the author assumes that the reader enjoyed a full blown classical education and is already familiar with the ancient names of odd little pieces of land, rivers, etc. in Europe and the Middle East that have long since been changed or lost altogether. And partly because it is written in 18th Century English that is understandable but a bit annoying.

Nonetheless, a worthwhile read if you are interested in ancient history and willing to undertake the slog.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Good to hear of this, Richard. I hope you get a lot from it. I have a copy here at home and have yet to begin it after having it for some ten years! Mind you, it is a large volume and a bit unwieldy to sit on one's lap. I loved Ancient Rome as a boy and youth and to this day still have a good interest in it, though reading is confined now to slimmer volumes mainly on individual battles or army organisation.
I've just finished this morning Lion's Gate by Steven Pressfield, the story, using quotes from actual combatants, of the Six Day War in Israel in May 1967. Superb writing, capturing all the various elements of war from a very down-to-earth perspective of the common soldier. I have also read other books by Pressfield, notably novels centred on the Greek Wars of ancient times with Persia and also the civil wars. His writing is mature, superbly composed and thrilling to read.

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 pm

The Monster in the Box, a crime thriller by Ruth Rendell.
She passed away a few days ago and, together with PD James, she represented, in my humble opinion, some of the finest British crime writing of the last few decades. It's strange how two such authors should have died within only a couple of months of each other.
Amongst other themes and interests, I love a good whodunnit and these two ladies seemed to sum up all that was best of the genre.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat May 09, 2015 5:00 am

Daggerspell, the first volume in The Deverry Cycle, by Katharine Kerr.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:40 am

The Man Who Laughs
Victor Hugo
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby cdgrph » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:29 am

I just finished "Fred Factor 2.0" and now I'm starting "The millionaire Map" by Jim Stovall. I also read my bible daily.
cdgrph

Postby KevLa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:10 am

The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:48 am

Just completed a book on the battle of Blenheim, 1705, by Charles Spencer (brother of Lady Diana).The Duke of Marlborough versus Louis XIV and the grab for Europe domination. This is a re-read, but as good as the first time round. Novels - just completed another PD James thriller.
Just begun a biography of Rembrandt by Simon Schama.

cdgrph wrote: I also read my bible daily.

Ditto, cd.
KevLa wrote:The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.

Never read this, Kev. Someone else recently recommended it, so perhaps next on my list? Let me know what you think of it...

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:29 am

Geo3rge wrote:
KevLa wrote:The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.

Never read this, Kev. Someone else recently recommended it, so perhaps next on my list? Let me know what you think of it...

Steve

It's a classic, mate! I recommend you give it a go. However, in my humble opinion, a superior anthropomorphic animal tale is Watership Down, by Richard Adams: one of my very favourite novels, and Martin Rosen's animated adaptation is one of my top ten favourite films.
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to General Off-topic