Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks, Kev. I have a copy in the bookshelf. It will be read sometime this year, guaranteed!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby CodgerBriar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:39 am

Huckleberry Finn. And Miles W Mathis' website re. art and history (the calculus and physics sections are over my head). Extremely perceptive and original thinker.
CodgerBriar

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:14 pm

Just finished a biography of Michelangelo and his Sistine Chapel ceiling paintings. Reading a book on Julian of Norwich, a thirteenth century anchoresss and visionary, a crime thriller by PD James and a book on an obscure eighteenth century battle called Poltava that changed the course of European history. Fairly eclectic mix there!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby custodian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Just started reading The Way of Zen by Alan Watts...
Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 pm

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

Looking for free/public domain stuff for the Kindle is leading me to some pretty offbeat material. :lol:
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby William » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Journey Into Fear by Eric Ambler. I like a spy novel sometimes.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby aquaholic » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 pm

I've been reading the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. On book 2 now

http://www.scottlynch.us/books.html
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Birds of a Feather, the second of The Maisie Dobbs Mysteries, by Jacqueline Winspear.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:58 am

Colin Dexter - Morse - the Chief Inspector from Oxford. A good read that keeps the pages turning.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby PipeStoke » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:45 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

Looking for free/public domain stuff for the Kindle is leading me to some pretty offbeat material. :lol:

The original Gothic novel. Very nice!

I read it some years ago and while I will not class it great literature, it does have a place in literary history for establishing, at least in English literature, a set of tropes which carry through to this day.

I'm reading King Jesus by Robert Graves.
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Colin Dexter - Morse - the Chief Inspector from Oxford. A good read that keeps the pages turning.
Steve

Ah, yes! Good mysteries, those. Which one? My favourite is The Wench is Dead :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:06 am

KevLa wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:Colin Dexter - Morse - the Chief Inspector from Oxford. A good read that keeps the pages turning.
Steve

Ah, yes! Good mysteries, those. Which one? My favourite is The Wench is Dead :)

The Dead of Jericho, Kev. Finished it in the early hours of this morning. A couple of years ago I managed to get a full boxed set for £10 from a local charity shop. Not bad for 13 books. I've just picked out The Wench is Dead for my next read - thanks for the recommendation.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:33 am

Geo3rge wrote:The Dead of Jericho, Kev. Finished it in the early hours of this morning. A couple of years ago I managed to get a full boxed set for £10 from a local charity shop. Not bad for 13 books. I've just picked out The Wench is Dead for my next read - thanks for the recommendation.
Steve

Yeah, The Dead of Jericho is a good one, and the first that was adapted for television. Are you not reading them in order then? :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:10 pm

KevLa wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:The Dead of Jericho, Kev. Finished it in the early hours of this morning. A couple of years ago I managed to get a full boxed set for £10 from a local charity shop. Not bad for 13 books. I've just picked out The Wench is Dead for my next read - thanks for the recommendation.
Steve

Yeah, The Dead of Jericho is a good one, and the first that was adapted for television. Are you not reading them in order then? :)

Short answer - no! Just dipping in wherever I fancy, Kev. Began 'The Wench is Dead' this morning. Already hooked into it and a very good read so far. See you soon, I hope.

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Fair enough, mate. Enjoy! And yeah, see you Tuesday, all being well :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:57 pm

For my birthday I received a book token from some friends, so this week I visited a local bookshop and bought 'Dictator', the third in the trilogy of Cicero and Ancient Rome, by Robert Harris.
Having devoured the first two, I was so excited to get this latest book. I love anything to with Ancient Rome, particularly in historical fiction (Simon Scarrow, Lindsay Davies, Steven Saylor etc) as well as historical fact and Mr. Harris does not disappoint. His writing is fast-flowing, powerful, descriptive, enticing, illuminating and captivating.
If the evidence from the first two novels in the series is anything to go by, this third and final one will be a page-turner without any doubt.
Good stuff!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby henrydex » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Geo3rge wrote:For my birthday I received a book token from some friends, so this week I visited a local bookshop and bought 'Dictator', the third in the trilogy of Cicero and Ancient Rome, by Robert Harris.
Having devoured the first two, I was so excited to get this latest book. I love anything to with Ancient Rome, particularly in historical fiction (Simon Scarrow, Lindsay Davies, Steven Saylor etc) as well as historical fact and Mr. Harris does not disappoint. His writing is fast-flowing, powerful, descriptive, enticing, illuminating and captivating.
If the evidence from the first two novels in the series is anything to go by, this third and final one will be a page-turner without any doubt.
Good stuff!
Steve

Have you read the emporer series by conn iggulden . I highly recommend them also he's written a great series about ghengis Khan . Same as you historical factual fiction is my mainstay
henrydex

Postby henrydex » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 pm

henrydex wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:For my birthday I received a book token from some friends, so this week I visited a local bookshop and bought 'Dictator', the third in the trilogy of Cicero and Ancient Rome, by Robert Harris.
Good stuff!
Steve

Have you read the emporer series by conn iggulden . I highly recommend them also he's written a great series about ghengis Khan . Same as you historical factual fiction is my mainstay

Sorry , forgot to mention Bernard cornwell, famous for his Sharpe novels but his series on ancient Briton and also Harlequin series are great historical novels , intelligent captivating writing
henrydex

Postby mgtarheel » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:22 pm

A funny little book called " The Dirigible Pirates " by Professor Stanwell Briar
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
mgtarheel

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:48 pm

henrydex wrote:
henrydex wrote:
Good stuff!
Steve

Sorry , forgot to mention Bernard cornwell, famous for his Sharpe novels but his series on ancient Briton and also Harlequin series are great historical novels , intelligent captivating writing

Thanks for that. I've read one of the Conn Iggulden books but can't remember which one! The information you give that Bernard Cornwell has written about ancient Britain is new to me and I'll definitely look this up!
Much appreciated!
Steve
PS Just started Lord of The Rings - again! Must be about the twelfth time now since I was a teenager! Always a good read, no matter how many times I've read it!
Geo3rge

PreviousNext

Return to General Off-topic