Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby KevLa » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 pm

Geo3rge wrote:...PS Just started Lord of The Rings - again! Must be about the twelfth time now since I was a teenager! Always a good read, no matter how many times I've read it!

My favourite novel, as you know. It's about time I read it again. Hope you enjoy as much as all the other times :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:54 am

Maigret. I've read several books by the author Simenon and have enjoyed each of them. Just received in the post two more (very cheap - one cost just 1 penny on Amazon, plus postage - less than £3 in total) so I've got some nice reading matter in the next couple of months.
The recent UK production on Maigret was OK. I found the main character to be a bit flat, but further episodes might liven up a bit. My favoured version is Michael Gambon in the 1990s' series.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Finished 'Dictator' by Robert Harris yesterday. Rather sad that this excellent read is over. I've followed the main character, Cicero, through three books now and his tragic but inevitable end (all based on the factual histories saved and recorded down the ages) came suddenly and a little unexpectedly as the book came to a close.
A fine book, extremely well-written and a real eye-opener to politics and war in Ancient Rome. I cannot say that much has changed over the centuries, with shades of similar manoeuvring and corruption all too evident in our own day.
This was a worthy addition to my reading repertoire. Highly recommended.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby PipeStoke » Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 am

I'm currently (I found half an hour to start it today), re-reading Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses.

I first read it about fifteen years ago, and it left a reasonable impression on me. This time around, and at only forty pages in, I have to admit that I missed a lot in my first reading, not least how desperately evocative the writing is. It shouldn't surprise me as I've read a few books by Rushdie, but this is astonishing on every level.
PipeStoke

Postby Geo3rge » Wed May 25, 2016 2:25 pm

An eclectic clutch of books at the moment...The Roman Army on, well, the Roman Army...good bit of history and lots of illustrations as well.
Roseanna, by Swedish authors Sjowall and Wahloo (not sure how they are to be pronounced), a crime novel in the 1960s.
The Wierdstone of Brisinghamen by Alan Garner (first read over forty-five years ago and just as thrilling and entertaining now that in 60).
And, finally, a collection of sermons by Richard Sibbes, 16th century Puritan pastor and preacher.
If you ask me what links them all together...I just like them!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Goshawk Squadron , Derek Robinson, the story of RFC aviators in WW1. Rather raw and punchy; recommended by a pipe club acquaintance.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Kerfol, by Edith Wharton.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:35 am

Fatal Colours, by George Goodwin. The story of the events in English medieval history leading up to the Wars of the Roses and the Battle of Towton in 1461, the bloodiest battle on English soil, resulting in possibly 28,000 dead in one day. It changed the nature and course of the monarchy forever, as well as the perception of it by the populace. Fascinating, grim and highly educational.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Sherlock Holmes and the Lady in Black, by June Thomson.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Nearing the end of a biography of Thomas More, 16th century statesman, Chancellor of England etc who was martyred for his beliefs.
This has been the longest I've yet taken to finish a book; I began it FIVE years ago...unbelievable. Great book, just couldn't read long chunks of it until recently, when I've been putting on a spurt towards the finishing line. I'll be glad to get there, but, I must say, the race has been very rewarding and enlightening along the way.
Just seems a very long time since the starting line...
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Bakumanₒ, written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata.
I'm on Volume 7. It's great so far! :)
Last edited by KevLa on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 am

After five years - FIVE years - I've finished the biography of Thomas More, by Peter Ackroyd.
Quite why it took that long, I'll never know and, as I usually complete a book fairly rapidly these days, this one was read in three or four page bites until about a fortnight ago when I devoured chapters in one sitting.
Maybe there's a time and place for everything...glad I finished it at last and, summing up my experience, I've learned a great deal about the period, the society, education, religion, politics and law.
I'd say that this was a great book, but I'm very ashamed that I took so long to get through it.
I can now say I've read it, though...
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Still with historical reading material, this time 'The Kaiser's Battle', the account of the last big battle between the German and British armies, beginning in March 1918 in WW1. Only just started but very good so far in its discussion of the protagonists. I'm always staggered by the sheer numbers of combatants involved. We will never see that again, I hope, but the scale of these conflicts was stupendous.
Here's hoping I finish it quicker than the last one...
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Pardonable Lies, the third of The Maisie Dobbs Mysteries, by Jacqueline Winspear.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:21 am

The Flowers of Evil, written and illustrated by Shuzo Oshimi.
I received the complete series in the post, this morning, and I've already nearly finished reading Volume 1. So far, so wicked! :twisted:
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:31 am

Finished The Kaiser's Battle and now trying to finish a novel also set in WW1, Goshawk Squadron, Royal Flying Corps before it evolved into the Royal Air Force. In addition, Into The Fire, by Manda Scott, story linking 14th century and 21st century Orleans in France. Not far in yet so will not comment until later.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby ColoradoHusker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:44 am

Through the Eyes of a Lion by Levi Lusko. It will rock your world view.
ColoradoHusker

Postby KevLa » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:56 am

KevLa wrote:The Flowers of Evil, written and illustrated by Shuzo Oshimi.
I received the complete series in the post, this morning...

I ended up reading all eleven volumes in a day; couldn't "put it down!" :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Just begun a new book on WW1, on Passchendaele. Not easy going and it will be grim, but I always feel it's necessary and good to read these accounts, if only out of sheer respect for those involved. But, I know it will be a hard read. We will see.
On a lighter note, taking a leaf out of Kevla's reading genre, I've been reading the Saga series, a 'comic-book' but extremely well-drawn and with a bit of a bite to it. Six books in the series, I think, and quite entertaining, if hard-edged.
And, finally, a large tome on Theology, getting to grips with some aspects of faith and belief. Not at all dry; if anything, a bit too sketchy in parts, but once I've got through the first section, it settles down to meatier discussions.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Geo3rge wrote:...On a lighter note, taking a leaf out of Kevla's reading genre, I've been reading the Saga series, a 'comic-book' but extremely well-drawn and with a bit of a bite to it. Six books in the series, I think, and quite entertaining, if hard-edged...

Cool! I haven't read that one, (IDW's Transformers series being the only Western comics I read regularly,) but I've heard good things about it. I hope you enjoy it :)
Kev-La ;)
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to General Off-topic