Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:42 pm

KevLa wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:...On a lighter note, taking a leaf out of Kevla's reading genre, I've been reading the Saga series, a 'comic-book' but extremely well-drawn and with a bit of a bite to it. Six books in the series, I think, and quite entertaining, if hard-edged...

Cool! I haven't read that one, (IDW's Transformers series being the only Western comics I read regularly,) but I've heard good things about it. I hope you enjoy it :)
Kev-La ;)

Yes, it's a bit of a rough ride reading at times, with some words and phrases that I'm either not used to or feel a touch uncomfortable with. I remind myself it's all in context and that if I were watching a modern film or drama I'm likely to catch the same kind of thing, so set the jaw and read on. The art work is extremely well done indeed and that's what drew me to it (no pun intended). I'll probably end up with the series, though it's expensive.
It has whetted my appetite for other art books. Just need to discover them...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:40 pm

Just about to start a massive volume on the Thirty Years War in Europe in the first part of the 1600s. Another complex, grim read no doubt, but useful to know why it happened and how it subsequently affected Europe well into our modern era. On a lighter note, a Whodunnit by a 1930s author whose name completely escapes me. The book is in the bag in the car and I can't for the life of me remember it. Never mind. Age again...
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:31 am

Three library books and I still haven't started them. Goodness knows how I'll get on with a new library (city central library) membership, in which I can take out 14 books at a time if I wish to. I'd never have the time to read them. Still, a library is a privilege and a great service, so I'm determined to use and support it.
Currently re-reading 'Tides of War' by Steven Pressfield, about the catastrophic invasion of Sicily by the Athenians and their ultimate demise as a major Mediterranean power. Fiction, based on the ancient histories.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:22 pm

I've just finished The Z Murders, by J. Jefferson Farjeon. A great mystery-thriller to help distract me from a dose of 'flu. :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Irminsul » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:02 am

Geo3rge wrote:Just about to start a massive volume on the Thirty Years War in Europe in the first part of the 1600s. Another complex, grim read no doubt, but useful to know why it happened and how it subsequently affected Europe well into our modern era. On a lighter note, a Whodunnit by a 1930s author whose name completely escapes me. The book is in the bag in the car and I can't for the life of me remember it. Never mind. Age again...
Steve

That was probably by a female historian named C. V. Wedgeworth or Wedgewood, or some name like that. It's a great book, but a lot of information to digest.

I just finished The Ghost On The Throne, by James Romm, a history of the wars among the Successors of Alexander the Great. I'm now starting another book by the same author, this is another history, Dying Every Day, about the Roman philosopher Seneca in the court of the Emperor Nero.
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Re-reading Tides of War by Steven Pressfield. Excellent, maturely-written book, fictional but using the ancient texts of Athens' invasion of Sicily.
Irminsul, have you read any of the Robert Harris books on Cicero? A wonderful series, full of drama, insight, pathos and intrigue. Great reads.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Irminsul » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:16 am

Geo3rge wrote:Re-reading Tides of War by Steven Pressfield. Excellent, maturely-written book, fictional but using the ancient texts of Athens' invasion of Sicily.
Irminsul, have you read any of the Robert Harris books on Cicero? A wonderful series, full of drama, insight, pathos and intrigue. Great reads.
Steve

No, I haven't George. Both the books I mentioned are histories, very well researched, analyzed and written. I tend towards history, not historical novels, although when I was young I very much enjoyed Mary Renault's The Last of the Wine, about Socrates and his circle. She is sadly forgotten nowadays. But thanks for the tip. I may give then a try.
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:58 pm

Murder of a Lady - A Scottish Mystery, by Anthony Wynne.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:14 pm

No. 6, written by Atsuko Asano and illustrated by Hinoki Kino.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:14 am

Britannia, by Simon Scarrow. Set in Ancient Rome days, a series of books following the adventures of two Roman soldiers who somehow survive against all the odds against barbarians, court intrigues and the vagaries of military life. Along the lines of Bernard Cornwall books, full of action and historical interest. Light but entertaining reading after the heavier and much more serious (and, on occasions, gloomier) books I've been lately reading.
Also, 'The Wounded Heart of Thomas Merton' by Robert Waldron, a study of Merton who was a well-known Trappist monk, philosopher and Religious writer. Interesting slant on his periods of depression and deeper moods. I found Merton's autobiography (Elected Silence for U.K. readers, Seven Storey Mountain for others) to be a wonderful read, well-written with passion and eloquence.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Sergeant Cluff Stands Firm, by Gil North.
Last edited by KevLa on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:07 pm

KevLa wrote:Sergeant Cluff Stands Firms, by Gil North.

Well, if that isn't a coincidence! I recently picked this up in Waterstones. Only read the first couple of pages so far, but it's good enough and will do for those winter evenings or a coffee out somewhere.
Part of an interesting selection of books by an author who seems to have been forgotten, except by us two at least!
Enjoy reading it, Kev.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Haha! You, too, Steve! :)
I've been collecting these British Library Crime Classics paperback editions for about a year, now. Some superb, old mysteries, ripe for rediscovery by readers new :)__,~
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:24 am

Another Brit Crime writer, Margery Allingham. Only just received an omnibus of three of her novels, and haven't begun yet but heard good things about her so I'm looking forward to getting started.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:39 am

I've recently been watching Peter Davison as Allingham's Campion :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Just received two new books, both by American author Nathaniel Philbrick. Bunker Hill (American Independence) and Last Stand (Custer), both factual accounts.
Bought for 1 penny each plus postage. Thick volumes, great bargain.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Attack on Titan, written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama.
KevLa

Postby Smitty » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 pm

"Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Just finished two books on Poirot by Christie, the second of which details the very last case. Having also seen the TV production of this with David Suchet, quite a poignant and rather sad affair.
Also, recently bought the latest Robert Harris book 'Conclave' and look forward to getting into this. I like Harris's work, particularly the Cicero series.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:41 pm

The Mysterious Affair at Styles, by Agatha Christie.
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to General Off-topic