Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 am

The Worst Witch, by Jill Murphy.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 pm

The Worst Witch Strikes Again, by Jill Murphy.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Whispered Words, written and drawn by Takashi Ikeda.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends, written by Yomi Hirasaka and drawn by Itachi.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:56 am

Scarweather, by Anthony Rolls.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:19 am

Fight for a Throne, by Christopher Duffy, an new account of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion ending with the battle of Culloden. Excellent book, full of details and insights, with first-hand reference material to add to the drama.
Fiction-wise, Brothers in Blood, by Simon Scarrow, Roman Britain, legionaries, Brits etc.
Also, the Grantchester stories by James Runcie, a 1950s' vicar cum sleuth story. Very much along the lines of Poirot, Marple etc.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Murder in the Museum, by John Rowland.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Tue May 30, 2017 10:15 am

Still on the history of the '45, a study of the Jacobite rebellion (Bonnie Prince Charles, Duke of Cumberland and Culloden) and jolly riveting it is too.
I've discovered that, following the Prince's retreat back to Scotland following an 'invasion' of England, the Duke pursued him and, en route, camped his army in my home town of Macclesfield. The Duke himself stayed at a certain house before moving on.
That house, afterwards re-named Cumberland House, was the doctor's surgery where I and my family visited for years! A handsome, Georgian-style building, set high up in what was once the old town on the hill, and it is still there, though now converted to apartments.
Quite amazing to think that my mother and I used to call in to a house made famous in history by rather infamous events as they unfolded.
Always something to learn.

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 am

Ann Cleeves - The Crow Trap. Writer of TV's Vera and Shetland. Excellent book, kept me guessing to the very end. I met her recently and bought the book which she kindly autographed for me.
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 am

Geo3rge wrote:Ann Cleeves - The Crow Trap. Writer of TV's Vera and Shetland. Excellent book, kept me guessing to the very end. I met her recently and bought the book which she kindly autographed for me.

I have thought about buying Vera on DVD. I've never seen it as I don't watch television broadcasts, but it sounds like a good detective series :)
Glad you enjoyed your book, mate :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Recently read two books by Greg Bear - Eon and The Forge of God. The latter, in particular, about the destruction of Earth by an alien civilisation, through causing enormous, core and crust-rending movements, is brilliantly written and conveys a scale and scope provoking awe and horror. A frightening and compulsive read.
Normally, I read very little sci-if work. These two have been great books. So much so, I've just started a third by the same author, Hull Zero Three.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Glad you're enjoying your science-fiction, Steve :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks, Kev. I went through a period in my thirties with Asimov, Clarke etc and enjoyed their works, then it all seemed to drop away in favour of history. Glad I've put a toe or two at least back over the threshold.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Re-reading the trilogy by CS Lewis set on other worlds as well as Earth. I first read these in 1987 and was mesmerised by them. Having just read again 'Out of the Silent Planet', I've begun the second volume: 'Perelandra'. Lewis's descriptive and philosophical powers are wonderful.
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:23 am

Where is the time going? In a month it will be September and the steady incline slope towards autumn and then winter. Plenty of reading, Bernard Cornwell's Sharp (Trafalgar), Dorothy Sayers' Nine Tailors, final book in CS Lewis's fictional trilogy, That Hideous Strength and a Greg Bear book that, surprisingly, I just couldn't get into and returned to the library. Lindsey Davies-Master and God. Should keep me going for a while.
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 am

Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:55 pm

The Lost Special, by Arthur Conan Doyle.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Just finished a time novel by Margery Allingham. ‘Black Dudley’.
Fine as it went, but terribly dated in its depiction of characters, all rather stereotypical and containing expressions and vocabulary clearly of the 1920s (novel was written in 1929). I found it OKish and went through to the end, but I kept comparing it with PD James and Ruth Rendell, who seem to create atmosphere, location, mystery and drama much better.

Each to his/her own, I think. Some early novels have been very good indeed. Not sure if I will read more of this writer, but it may well be that, as this was her first novel in the Albert Campion series, things will improve, so I’m game to try...
Geo3rge

Postby TigerJack » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 am

The Cleric Quintet , G'Day
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby KevLa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Verdict of Twelve, by Raymond Postgate.
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to General Off-topic