Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you reading?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 am

The Worst Witch, by Jill Murphy.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 pm

The Worst Witch Strikes Again, by Jill Murphy.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Whispered Words, written and drawn by Takashi Ikeda.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends, written by Yomi Hirasaka and drawn by Itachi.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:56 am

Scarweather, by Anthony Rolls.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:19 am

Fight for a Throne, by Christopher Duffy, an new account of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion ending with the battle of Culloden. Excellent book, full of details and insights, with first-hand reference material to add to the drama.
Fiction-wise, Brothers in Blood, by Simon Scarrow, Roman Britain, legionaries, Brits etc.
Also, the Grantchester stories by James Runcie, a 1950s' vicar cum sleuth story. Very much along the lines of Poirot, Marple etc.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Murder in the Museum, by John Rowland.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Tue May 30, 2017 10:15 am

Still on the history of the '45, a study of the Jacobite rebellion (Bonnie Prince Charles, Duke of Cumberland and Culloden) and jolly riveting it is too.
I've discovered that, following the Prince's retreat back to Scotland following an 'invasion' of England, the Duke pursued him and, en route, camped his army in my home town of Macclesfield. The Duke himself stayed at a certain house before moving on.
That house, afterwards re-named Cumberland House, was the doctor's surgery where I and my family visited for years! A handsome, Georgian-style building, set high up in what was once the old town on the hill, and it is still there, though now converted to apartments.
Quite amazing to think that my mother and I used to call in to a house made famous in history by rather infamous events as they unfolded.
Always something to learn.

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 am

Ann Cleeves - The Crow Trap. Writer of TV's Vera and Shetland. Excellent book, kept me guessing to the very end. I met her recently and bought the book which she kindly autographed for me.
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 am

Geo3rge wrote:Ann Cleeves - The Crow Trap. Writer of TV's Vera and Shetland. Excellent book, kept me guessing to the very end. I met her recently and bought the book which she kindly autographed for me.

I have thought about buying Vera on DVD. I've never seen it as I don't watch television broadcasts, but it sounds like a good detective series :)
Glad you enjoyed your book, mate :)
KevLa

Previous

Return to General Off-topic