Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Do We Have Any Bird Watchers, Birders or Twitchers Here?

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Re: Do We Have Any Bird Watchers, Birders or Twitchers Here?

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Taff wrote:Well you can pick up the camera I use on the bay now for less than a £100. To be honest, if you go down the photography route you're better off spending your pennies on the lenses rather than the body. For example, my DSLR has only 10.2MP (my HTC phone has 8MPs). However, unless you plan on printing bigger than A0, anything above 10MP becomes un noticeable, so don't be bedazzeled by a camera with over 20 MPs or whatever - keep the body simple and spend a little more on good quality glass - that's what'll make the difference in the end.

I'm sure that that is good advice Taff, thank you. I have a Sony compact camera at the moment which takes excellent photos. It's just this birding thing ....

I am sure that I can resist. I want to observe and study birds more than taking photos of them. I do keep a journal of birds seen - but as far as I am concerned, I can copy a photo from the internet of the birds that I have seen, to include in my log. The fact that it wasn't taken by myself doesn't really worry me.

My late father was a photographer - his obituary described him as a "photographer of international acclaim". Maybe that is what is pushing me away from photography. I remember the days before he had his dedicated "dark room". He would use the family bathroom for the day - black it out etc - which meant that we had to piss elsewhere for the day :)
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby RobD » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Yes, I am a birder . . . in the US. Have been for 40+ years. Since retirement 7 years ago I've really gotten into it. I go birding a couple of times a week, post my sightings on eBird and, in December I organize our local Christmas Bird Count. After I get my scope set up and my binoculars on, I always light up a bent with (usually) a Virginia flake. Right now, I'm working on a tin of McClellan Christmas Cheer, 2014 which I think is one of the better Xmas Cheer vintages . . . maybe on a par with 1994, 1997 or 2001. The bent pipe keeps the bowl out of my way when I'm using the optics.

I visited the UK a couple of years ago and hooked up with three people I found via the birding pal.org web site. Highly recommended. Birding with someone with local knowledge is extremely helpful. Also had a birding pal in Nova Scotia. I added dozens of birds to my life list and would have ID'd not nearly as many on my own. Here where I live in southern California, I've also guided a few birders who found me through the same site. Check it out.

How do you post pics to this site?

Thanks,
RobD

Postby CPWSolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:26 pm

I love watching the birds but purely as a person who likes wildlife.
I know the basic ones, and enjoy spotting them, but am far from a twitcher.
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag
CPWSolf
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RobD » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks for posting. I missed Wales last time around, but hope to visit one year soon.

RobD

P.S. Please inform em how to post images on this site. Tx
RobD

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Re pictures, this is the way I find for me at the moment:

Log onto Imgur, follow the instruction to browse an image from your computer, then upload that image from your computer onto Imgur.
Select the size - I find medium thumbnail is adequate.
Left click 'BB code' to copy. It should then briefly say "copied".
Exit Imgur.
Log onto TampandPuff.
Get onto the Post Reply box of your chosen topic and right click 'Paste'. The image should come up as a code and, by pressing 'Preview', you can see the picture and/or any text you typed.

Hope that's all clear. Others may have different methods, but this works for me.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby RobD » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks Steve. Now, I can't remember which image I wanted to post. But, I've saved your instructions and will try it next time around.

Rob
RobD

Postby RobD » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:27 am

Steve, I just successfully loaded an image to my "WANTED" posting about Peterson 9 BC. Thanks again. - Robd
RobD

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:19 am

Congratulations, Rob. It's always a relief to find something that works! I'm not great on tech stuff so if I can handle it anyone can!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Previous

Return to General Off-topic