Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Eclipse

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Eclipse

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:47 am

The promised eclipse is at this moment taking place. Owing to heavy cloud here, no direct light (or actual eclipse) can be seen, but the temperature has fallen quite noticeably and the air has taken on the colour of a rainstorm about to burst. There is also a rather strange sense of stillness as this phenomenon occurs. I have to leave the house shortly and driving will preoccupy me for a while, but it's good to be able to witness these things, if only partially.
Past events have made their impact on me, whether it be a bigger or redder-than-normal moon or a meteorite shower or an eclipse. I'm not an astronomer at all, just one of billions who find these things interesting and want to see them when they occur.
It always seems to bring everything into perspective that whilst we are getting on with our dealings here on this little planet, in the wider universe the 'rolling spheres' continue their inexorable journeys irrespective of us. A bit humbling, I'd say, but quite awe-inspiring too. There are things bigger than us, but I'm also grateful to be able to be aware of them and there is no diminution of our own worth and value either.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Eclipse

Postby Falconeer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 am

Pretty much the same here - we were only to get a partial eclipse this far south - but we've had torrential rain this last couple of days and woke up to more of the same plus 100% cloud cover. Slight fading of the already not very bright light, stillness and increased insect activity was all we got - but as you say a heightened awareness of massive things happening in our universe.

Naturally enough I viewed it smoking a Peterson 999 with St Bruno loaded!
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Re: Eclipse

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:54 pm

As I was driving to my destination earlier, I looked up and managed, just at the right moment, to see the disc of the moon moving away across the face of the sun, as the obscuring clouds parted sufficiently, but not completely, for me to see. It was a little moment of breathtaking awe, before I had to lower the eyes to the more immediate issue of negotiating a traffic roundabout. It was great to see this live show, if only for about three seconds.
Some videos of the Faroe Islands and Nortehrn Ireland show an almost total blackout, but here just a dark grey everywhere.
Couldn't smoke a pipe just then, but right now the St. Bruno is fired up in an Askwith!
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Off-topic