Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Saint Claude Or Bust

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Saint Claude Or Bust

Postby Dodger » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 pm

I have mentioned that I plan to tour France and perhaps Spain and Portugal by bicycle .
Today being fine I got on the bike for the first time in 5 years and took a short trip of 5 miles out then back .I stopped for a pipe at the halfway mark and thought I had done rather well ,on the way back there was a headwind all the way and I began to think it was not such a great idea after all .No after effects apart from feeling a little tired and slightly aching legs ,but that's to be expected .
Departure is going to be at the end of the month so I going to have to build up mileage rather quickly ,I would have started sooner but the weather has been bad all year .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Saint Claude Or Bust

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Hope it all works out fine, D. Looks like you might have to cram in a fair amount of training beforehand. And I can concur that the UK weather was abysmal until only recently. Good luck with it all. Do you aim to actually visit Saint Claude? I understand that the pipe business there isn't as it was. All the best.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Steve I am going to Saint Claude even if the pipe making has declined ,also going to try to get to Cogolin near St Tropez where Courrieu have a factory .I am not too worried about fitness as I am taking a year to do it and will get fitter as time passes .
It is pure coincidence of course that my route South covers Champagne ,Burgundy ,Beaujolais and the Rhone wine areas and route North Bordeaux :D
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Sat May 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Off tomorrow morning ,.
I am not fit enough ,the weather is not good enough ,but if I put it off much longer I may change my mind .I will post while away if I can find a Cybercafe .
Au revoir .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Bon voyage! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Bon courage!
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Piperman » Sat May 02, 2015 10:37 pm

God luck, Dodger! :)
Igor Image - Pipe Dreamer
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Terrier » Sun May 03, 2015 12:07 pm

I used to ride a round trip of 100 miles on Sunday for years, with a bunch of friends. Trained on shorter but faster rides 4 days a week after work. If you train in the worst possible conditions, riding in great weather will seem like a walk in the park. Not getting the weather you had hoped for when you arrive at your departure point won't spoil your trip. Like the Marines say, "If it ain't rainin', you ain't trainin'

P
Terrier

Postby Geo3rge » Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Good luck, Dodge. Hope you have a great experience. This is one of those 'once in a lifetime' moments. Trusting you will be safe along the way.
Bon Chance, Bon Voyage at Bon Esprit, avec Bonnes Pipes et Tabacs! I'm not sure if Sanju will agree with the French grammar here, but never mind!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Dodger » Thu May 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Bust .

Never made it out of the country .
The trailer was not up to it ,the spokes loosened and punctured the inside of the inner tube on one wheel ,and the other wheel looked like doing the same so both had to be fixed .
Two days after setting off again a tyre and tube blew so needed a new set .Two days after that the other tyre blew .
Even I can take a hint after being hit over the head and decided to call it off :roll:

I do not regret trying it ,and despite the bad things that happened had quite a good time and met some interesting people .As a city dweller for the last 40 years I had forgotten how friendly people in the countryside can be ,so it was worth the trip to be reminded of that .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Fri May 15, 2015 12:31 am

Good choice, Mr. Dodger. We 'Mericans would call that Three Strikes and I am convinced that if you keep trying to do something again at that point, catastrophe is the only possible outcome.

France will still be there next year and you could have another go then when the stars line up. In the interim, you might keep up with things according to where you planned to visit, the Frenchies have their hands full with assorted villains and it could be that you avoided misfortune well beyond replacing some "tyres." ;)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri May 15, 2015 6:50 am

Dodger wrote:Bust .

Never made it out of the country .
The trailer was not up to it ,the spokes loosened and punctured the inside of the inner tube on one wheel ,and the other wheel looked like doing the same so both had to be fixed .
Two days after setting off again a tyre and tube blew so needed a new set .Two days after that the other tyre blew .
Even I can take a hint after being hit over the head and decided to call it off :roll:

I do not regret trying it ,and despite the bad things that happened had quite a good time and met some interesting people .As a city dweller for the last 40 years I had forgotten how friendly people in the countryside can be ,so it was worth the trip to be reminded of that .

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan, but glad to hear you have found the silver lining. Nice one for trying, Dodge :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Also sorry the plan didn't work out for you, D. It may come around again, you never know. Sometimes those 'strikes' say a good deal, so perhaps it was all for the best right now. Good luck with any future plans. In the meantime, might I suggest you console yourself in a good drink and with an equally good pipe on the go?
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Dodger » Fri May 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks gents .

I consoled myself with a trip to Amsterdam ,a couple of pipeshops gone but the fantastic Hajenuis is still there and well worth a visit .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Regarding Saint Claude itself, which, I believe, was at one time a centre of excellence for pipe making, does anyone know what its present status is? Is pipe making still carried on there? What is the extent and reason of the decline?
It appeared at a certain stage in its history to hold almost legendary status, or did it? Perhaps I'm mistaken in my knowledge here.
Steve
Geo3rge

Return to General Off-topic