Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Tablet Glitch

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Tablet Glitch

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:12 am

My iPad has, without warning or reason, suddenly stopped dead, permanently, completely. I cannot get anything on it at all, not even switch-on. Friday evening it worked fine, Saturday morning it died. I'm taking it into the store soon but how frustrating, as it has been the main tech vehicle for me for the last two years or so and it has proven invaluable in all sorts of ways. I'll be writing stuff here on the laptop but the iPhone's screen is just too small to use comfortably.
I am hoping that all my photographs and contacts on it are not lost, Cloud means that most of them are on the phone, but it is still a bit of a pain. If the thing is completely lost, I'll make a decision re another one. But the added expense is something I could do without. C'est la vie?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Tablet Glitch

Postby Piperman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Steve, maybe it's only battery!?
Igor Image - Pipe Dreamer
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:34 pm

That sucks, Steve. But if it is the battery, you might get out fairly lightly- https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/battery-power/

Good luck.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks, Igor and Richard. I had a look at your link provided. The problem is that the whole device is stone cold dead. I can't switch it on, neither with holding the end button nor with the usual one and consequently I have no access to battery condition. So it will be off to the store sometime soon. I have a little extra funding coming my way soon, so a new pad is likely to be the outcome if nothing can be done.
Appreciate the advice!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 am

That's rough, my friend! I'm sure they design modern gadgets to pack up after next-to-no time :(
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Piperman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:45 am

Steve, my friend also have the same problem as you, and problem was - empty battery. He charged battery 2 days without ceasing, after that he leave iPad a couple of days switched off. After that he turned on iPad without a problem. Maybe is the same problem .....
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Tue May 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Good news! I had mentioned the problem to a friend here. Her husband had the same problem, as did a family friend. He contacted the local store. The proposed cost of help they would have given was astronomical. He got extra advice from elsewhere instead.
The answer - a simple re-boot.
Press both the round button on the face of the device and the end 0n/Off switch together and wait until the logo appears.
The result - the iPad came on as before and works fine now.
I just saved either the cost of 'repair' (believe it or not, £200 was quoted by the store, for diagnostics and repair I suppose) or that of a brand new device. I am rather relieved to say the least.
Just two questions - Do these devices crash more often than we think? Why?
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Piperman » Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Just two questions - Do these devices crash more often than we think? Why?
Steve

I think, Richard (ratatosk) know answer for that.... at least, he's software developer. :)
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Wed May 06, 2015 12:07 am

Igor, I am software developer who hates hardware because it breaks for no apparent reason. :D Anyway, a hard reset like you described can work, Steve, but there's no real way to tell whether there was a software problem or maybe just the switch got funky and was fixed by being held down for a prolonged time?

Overall, I'd say that "devices" are more reliable than they were a decade ago, but even Apple uses commodity components that will fail sooner than you might hope and their mobile device business model isn't based on simple repairs by users, so....
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Off-topic