Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Sleepless nights

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Sleepless nights

Postby Geo3rge » Wed May 13, 2015 2:45 am

If you've read any of my posts in the 'What are you smoking now?' thread, you'll have picked up that I have been having an issue with sleeping. As a result of a medical condition that has arisen in the last few months, I am woken regularly in the early hours and simply have to get up to alleviate the condition. I've been making tea and lighting pipes, reading and doing work.
This opportunity to be able to do workloads in the early hours is useful but I wouldn't recommend it long term. However, it has meant that I can sit and write or design for a while in the quiet moments and I've been able to get through a lot of important stuff as a result. Up this morning at 3am, yesterday at 2am until 4.30am, going back to bed, bizarrely, just as dawn is breaking. I feel like Dracula.
Still the hours are being well spent and if I drop off sometime during the day when I sit down I don't feel guilty.
Right now it is so quiet and I am about to do some sketches for two projects recently requested of me. I'll smoke my pipe in peace and sip my tea and then perhaps climb the stairs for a couple of hopeful hours of that elusive sleep.
Goodnight all.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Sleepless nights

Postby Terrier » Wed May 13, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm the same way George.

I often get up at 4am and sit on my porch and watch the sun come up while having a smoke. Those are the smokes I enjoy the most. If I do go back to bed. I sleep like a baby. Go figure. I hate to say it, but I think it is part of the aging process.

I generally only work from November to May as my wife is a professor and she got tired of me only having 2 weeks off in the summer when I worked for the phone company. So now I drive a delivery van. I have a good arrangement with the company I am with to only drive in winter, and fill in the summer when I am around. But I get up at 5 am for the job so it's difficult to break out of that routine. It's like coming to a speeding halt.

We leave on our annual RV (I think you say Caravan) trip on Monday. We both lose all our connection to "normal" time when we are traveling. I have gotten up at 3 am and unhooked the van and taken off in my pajamas to the next stop while my wife sleeps in the back. Sometimes I just get up at night and have a smoke by the fire (bear spray always nearby). Maybe some coffee.

Don't fight it. Enjoy it. The birds are at their best when the sun comes up.
Terrier

Postby Geo3rge » Thu May 14, 2015 8:42 am

Good to see another night bird, Terrier! I'm glad I'm not the only one. And, yes, the birds are at their best at that time. I even noticed a bat this week; normally I see them at dusk, but obviously they must hunt throughout the night long so it was good to see one just as the sun was coming up. Presumably he then headed off to his roosting site shortly afterwards.
Enjoy those tranquil moments and mind the bears!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Terrier » Thu May 14, 2015 12:39 pm

I have a black bear living in the woods behind my house that most nights will leave a nice pile of poop in my back yard. It's like he is purposely trying to tick me off. Haven't seen him yet. Never crossed paths with a Grizzly, though I have hiked in their territory many times out West. Now had I been on this trip I might have soiled my pants.

https://youtu.be/Ql1sFFddm_M

Paul
Terrier

Postby KevinM » Thu May 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Steve, as long as you feel rested enough to function in a happy, healthy manner, then I guess its something one must live with. I too am having more difficulties falling asleep in general, and now wake up way too early from time to time for some silly thing like going to the bathroom, or even a numb or sore limb or joint from laying wrong causing me to wake up. I follow the general rule that if I wake up and feel refreshed, I just stay up. Especially if only an hour or so from when the alarm is set. When I go back to sleep to get that additional hour or so, I then seem to wake up feeling worse. Definitely affecting more and more with age.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Terrier » Thu May 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah, best to get up when you wake up especially if you have had a good night's sleep. The body knows what it is doing
Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat May 16, 2015 8:14 am

4 am here right now. Just woke up. Raining lightly. Had some coffee, now heaeding out to the porch to have a bowl of OGS and watch then dawn break.

Perfect

Paul
Terrier

Postby ccapipedream » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 am

Well I seem to suffer from another form of sleepless night. I have 3 children: 6 years old, 4 years, and 2 years old. My 4 year old (almost without fail and always happy) seems to wake up at 4:30 am.

So I am now losing hope. Perhaps when they finally start to sleep in l will be ready to go at 4:30!
ccapipedream

Postby Terrier » Sun May 17, 2015 1:44 pm

I know it's a long way off for you (but sooner than you think), but one day you will have the absolute joy of watching then go through the same thing with their kids.

Paul
Terrier

Postby PipeStoke » Mon May 18, 2015 9:37 am

I'm differently conditioned for sleep.

It's not that I wake up at night, but that I tend towards staying up late - doing work, reading, listening to music and smoking a few pipes along the way. I've always been a night owl and when I was a kid I'd sit up or lie awake until 4am, reading and with a bit of music playing. My parents gave up on forcing me to go to sleep as they both have the same tendencies.

Later on, when I arrived here in Australia, I took a corporate night shift job, managing European markets. I did that for 5 years but eventually realised that while I'm a night owl, there's a difference between having to be up all night and choosing to be up most of the night.

My wife and I have our own company now, working from home. I try not to do too many late nights but it tends to just happen a few times a week. I make the most of it. Work, music and pipes. They go together very well in a home office environment like that. Seeing the sun come up in the morning is wonderful and I do enjoy hearing the birds start up their infernal racket; we have a local flock of a couple of hundred cockatoos flying over the house about half an hour after sunrise. They then settle in one of the large gumtrees at the bottom of the garden and keep on going. I have learnt to enjoy that.

No bears though!
PipeStoke

Postby Terrier » Tue May 19, 2015 12:41 am

Don't you have those Tazmanian Devil things????? Aren't they worse? I've only seen them on Bugs Bunny, but they still look pretty mean ;) Wish i could drive my RV to Australia. I'm camping right now, near Lake Seneca in NY State. It's just sundown and I'm having a bowl of Dunhill 965 in a bent Savinelli. I'm stopping at a tobacco shop in West Seneca where they still make their own pipes. I'll post a picture if I buy one.

Paul
Terrier

Postby PipeStoke » Tue May 19, 2015 10:19 am

Terrier wrote:Don't you have those Tazmanian Devil things????? Aren't they worse? Paul

Haha, we're spared the Tasmanian Devils here on the mainland - I think. I'm in Victoria and I do not believe we have them around here. We have Wombats instead, which are sort of bear-like but sized like a staffy or some such - just much, much heavier built. They're pretty shy generally though so there's little to worry about from them. Having said that, if one's walking towards you, it's best to move away as they seem to be completely fearless if you're between them and their food and are able to cause some amount of damage.

Lake Seneca looks like a fantastic spot. I've never been to the US (it's on the list as 'would like to, can't afford to'). Please do post a photo if you buy a pipe. I'd love to see.

What we of course have in place of the bears is:

Snakes. Something like ten of the twenty most deadly snakes in the world live around here. I've only ever seen one and I don't know what it was. My wife tells a story of when she was a kid and her uncle was visiting and at some point came out of the bedroom saying 'I've caught yer Brown Snake' (Eastern Brown, second-most venomous snake in the world, apparently), dangling it from his hands and somehow assuming they were keeping one as a pet. My father in law responded with 'We don't . . . well, I suppose now we do' lol Bit of a risk trying to catch a wild one of those! That was actually in the house we live in now and I just checked under my chair.

All that said, there are very few incidents with snakes. I think it's 4-5 deaths a year from snake bites and that's when people get bitten further out in the bush.

In Australia, the most deadly animal is the same as in most countries: The Horse.
PipeStoke

Postby Geo3rge » Tue May 19, 2015 11:44 am

Do you have any issues with spiders in Australia? A relative of mine lives there and has mentioned them a couple of times. For me, not the thing to think about, I fear. The wildlife I notice in those early hours I'm awake is the hedgehog who plods along in search of food and happily munches his way through the cat food. And I can't envisage this little thing leaping on me in the dark at the back door as I'm smoking a pipe. If anything, it scuttles off to hide if I am too clumsy in my movements. A joy to watch it eating, though. I'm sure foxes come by, too.
The most dangerous snake we have here is the adder, but incidents are rare and I think I'm correct in saying its bite is not fatal, just nasty.
Geo3rge

Postby Terrier » Tue May 19, 2015 3:40 pm

i have always wanted to see a Hedgehog. Maybe I'll carve a hedghog pipe one day.

I have heard about those snakes in Australia. Not something i would want to bump into. They are big too. Such a different place.

Wombat. I had to Google that. I believe i dated one in College.

P
Terrier

Postby Geo3rge » Mon May 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Had a particularly poor night last night. Up at 1.45am, brewed some tea, lit a pipe and did some painting that is on my list of things to do. Managed a fair amount of it and felt good about that. Didn't feel good about getting into the chair (bed is just too uncomfortable given the condition I've got) for some sleep at 4am just as dawn was about to break and I could hear the first birds.
Still, the work, which had been a request from someone else and has been dragging its feet for a while, is now three-quarters' done and I can complete it this evening. I can even hand it over on Tuesday morning.
Terrier, managed to see the hedgehog again too, around 3am!
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Mon May 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Sorry to learn that you had such a poor night's sleep, mate, but glad you managed to find a silver lining :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon May 25, 2015 8:15 pm

KevLa wrote:Sorry to learn that you had such a poor night's sleep, mate, but glad you managed to find a silver lining :)

That's how I'm trying to take it, Kev!
Just about to begin the final bit of the painting. I can then walk the short distance tomorrow morning to hand it over. Very pleased it's done. This is number two of a series. Only ten more to go!!!!! There'll be an awful lot of pipe smoke puffed during this lot, I can tell you!
Steve
Geo3rge

Return to General Off-topic