Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Opinel 6

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Opinel 6

Postby Dodger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 pm

I was cutting chips from a plug with my Swiss Army locknife down town ,when a friendly policeman told me that the blade was too big tp carry legally .So I looked online for a replacement and decided on an Opinel 6 ,which if you are not familiar with it is a wooden handled .single bladed lockable carbon knife that has been in production for 120 years .It was not that sharp coming out of the box .but is sharp enough for my purpose ,the blade is 8 cm and weighs 29 g .Best of all it was under £10 .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Opinel 6

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Appreciated, D. I've been wondering about a proper knife for cutting plugs but also general purpose. I will remember the name. Thanks.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Worth bearing in mind. Thanks, Dodger :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Nomad » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:35 pm

In the UK, I'd be cautious about what knife to carry. It's well worth consulting the current UK legislation on the subject. In short, there are three main categories...

• Stuff that's always illegal, like flick knives. They're defined as weapons - no other purpose than causing injury. Illegal to buy and sell as well as carry.
  • Stuff that is legal for everyday carry (EDC). Must not have a locking or fixed blade of any length - basically, only non-locking folding knives are allowed. Cutting edge must be less than 3". (Not blade length - the legislation says cutting edge.)
  • Stuff that is illegal but may have a defence in certain circumstances. Covers non-locking folders with cutting edge longer than 3", and locking or fixed blade knives with blades of any length.

Possible defences for having a non-EDC blade with you (concealed or not) in a public place are mainly...
Needed as part of your job (eg, chef, butcher, etc; tradesman's tools).
Part of national dress or costume, used in re-enactments/theatre, etc.
Used in conjunction with a hobby or pastime (eg, fishing, wood carving, bushcraft, camping, etc).

When carried, it should be because you are engaging in, or travelling to/from, your job, site of hobby, etc. So far as I'm aware, it is not a defence to constantly carry a non-EDC knife because you might need it for your job/costume/hobby. In other words, no carrying cooking knives to the pub of an evening on the offchance that you might get invited into the kitchen to chop up food, or no carrying a bushcraft knife because you might, on the spur of the moment, nip into the woods for an hour on the way home from work. If you carry a non-EDC, you must have demonstrable intent of defensible use.

Where this figures with pipe smoking is hard to say. It could be argued that a non-EDC blade is defensible if you carry (and smoke) plug tobacco. A potential problem with this is that not all police officers fully understand the law, such as in the cited example - the length of the blade was commented on, but not the fact that it locked, but both factors make it non-EDC. Having a non-EDC blade could get you into bother, the knife confiscated, or at least take up a load of your time. Whether or not anything occurs is basically down to the interpretation of the police officer concerned. In general, the more prudent option would be to have something that is EDC-compliant, like a non-locking Swiss army knife of conventional size (the standard ones have a cutting edge shorter than 3").

Regarding Opinels in particular, the smaller ones are non-EDC unless the locking collar is removed, and the larger ones are non-EDC whether the collar is fitted or not. After getting a No7 ages ago, I decided that I don't particularly like them for general purpose stuff, but it is excellent for cutting plug tobacco - the thin blade and tiny bevel at the edge makes it very good for slicing without separating the material unduly. I choose not to risk becoming a test case, however, so it stays at home (and I don't really smoke plug outside anyway).
Nomad

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Excellent and comprehensive information and advice. Well worth reading and saving.
The only knife I carry on me is a Rodgers Sheffield pipe knife; if I'm on the allotment it is invaluable for the pipe, but it's also come in handy for cutting soft stems on tomato plants and herbs!
Much appreciated.
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 pm

In my experience, very few policemen seem to know the law :(
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Nomad wrote:In the UK, I'd be cautious about what knife to carry. It's well worth consulting the current UK legislation on the subject. In short, there are three main categories...

• Stuff that's always illegal, like flick knives. They're defined as weapons - no other purpose than causing injury. Illegal to buy and sell as well as carry.
  • Stuff that is legal for everyday carry (EDC). Must not have a locking or fixed blade of any length - basically, only non-locking folding knives are allowed. Cutting edge must be less than 3". (Not blade length - the legislation says cutting edge.)
  • Stuff that is illegal but may have a defence in certain circumstances. Covers non-locking folders with cutting edge longer than 3", and locking or fixed blade knives with blades of any length.

Possible defences for having a non-EDC blade with you (concealed or not) in a public place are mainly...
Needed as part of your job (eg, chef, butcher, etc; tradesman's tools).
Part of national dress or costume, used in re-enactments/theatre, etc.
Used in conjunction with a hobby or pastime (eg, fishing, wood carving, bushcraft, camping, etc).

When carried, it should be because you are engaging in, or travelling to/from, your job, site of hobby, etc. So far as I'm aware, it is not a defence to constantly carry a non-EDC knife because you might need it for your job/costume/hobby. In other words, no carrying cooking knives to the pub of an evening on the offchance that you might get invited into the kitchen to chop up food, or no carrying a bushcraft knife because you might, on the spur of the moment, nip into the woods for an hour on the way home from work. If you carry a non-EDC, you must have demonstrable intent of defensible use.

Where this figures with pipe smoking is hard to say. It could be argued that a non-EDC blade is defensible if you carry (and smoke) plug tobacco. A potential problem with this is that not all police officers fully understand the law, such as in the cited example - the length of the blade was commented on, but not the fact that it locked, but both factors make it non-EDC. Having a non-EDC blade could get you into bother, the knife confiscated, or at least take up a load of your time. Whether or not anything occurs is basically down to the interpretation of the police officer concerned. In general, the more prudent option would be to have something that is EDC-compliant, like a non-locking Swiss army knife of conventional size (the standard ones have a cutting edge shorter than 3").

Regarding Opinels in particular, the smaller ones are non-EDC unless the locking collar is removed, and the larger ones are non-EDC whether the collar is fitted or not. After getting a No7 ages ago, I decided that I don't particularly like them for general purpose stuff, but it is excellent for cutting plug tobacco - the thin blade and tiny bevel at the edge makes it very good for slicing without separating the material unduly. I choose not to risk becoming a test case, however, so it stays at home (and I don't really smoke plug outside anyway).

Thanks for the post .
I think he was not too worried about it because of my age and grey hair ,so I will risk being stopped .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:46 am

Dodger by name, dodger by nature, eh! Haha! ;)
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:15 pm

KevLa wrote:Dodger by name, dodger by nature, eh! Haha! ;)

Don't know if I was born like it or acquired it :)
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Hahaha! :D
KevLa

Postby Nomad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Dodger wrote:Thanks for the post .
I think he was not too worried about it because of my age and grey hair ,so I will risk being stopped .

Entirely your choice, of course. I just wanted to point out that there is legislation which can be read, and that many people (including the police) aren't fully familiar with it. There have been stories of people who clearly aren't troublemaking youth (the main target of the legislation) landing in bother. Better, in my view, that whatever choice is made is an informed one.
Nomad

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Aaron,

I cannot answer your query re the Opinel as I don’t know anything about them.

I’m having some alert issues from the official forum about the subject matter so, if you do not mind, I will ask if the topics can be kept to pipes and tobaccos etc.
What the alert issue does is colour a particular post in red and then add a question mark to it for approval or disapproval.
I approved your initial post on this because it was related to the above subject of pipe knives.
What I suspect is that the system is detecting the word “knife” and raising a question over it.
The post has again reappeared in red and I will disapprove this; this hopefully will clear the air a little!

Hope that explains things!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Smitty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55 pm

I think the UK knife laws are ridiculous but with that said, Opinel makes good quality, affordable blades. Carbon steel so they're easy to sharpen but I would suggest a Morakniv "Eldris". Check about fixed blade laws but the blade is only two inches and it has a hefty rubberized grip for easy control while cutting plugs or ropes. They are also carbon steel but with a Scandivavian grind so to sharpen all you have to do is oil your stone and lay the bevel flat and go in circles. Easy peasy. They are also very affordable. It's the perfect tool for the job, IMO.

--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby Dodger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:41 pm

I have found that the Opinel fits nicely in the hand ,and purchased mine after reviewing Youtube .So far I have had no problems and expect it will outlast me .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion