Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

No fuss for this one

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

No fuss for this one

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:52 am

I've been enjoyed smoking a plain, simple Zavvos pipe such a lot lately. It's been an everyday, all day pipe that delivers a great smoke every time.
So an experiment - I've decided to treat this one with the minimum fuss possible. Internal cleaning only, but the exterior can just be left to its own devices. I'm not going to polish, buff, remove stains or carbon from the rim. A ream every now and then but not fastidiously and if I drop it so be it.

I'm trying to catch something of the old way of smoking a pipe when some folk seemingly didn't smother their pipes with affection or care, just stuffed and smoked, day after day.
It will be interesting to see what it looks like with a few months' worth of heavy smoking and little cosmetic treatment.
As I say, internals certainly, but little else.

I won't be doing this with the rest of the collection. But I just fancied a less fussy approach and, having read about old timer smokers who just smoked and that was that, I'm adopting that approach with this one. It will probably look horrendous in time, but I think that's what I'm aiming for. A plain, workaday tool that does the job without being pampered.
It's already developing a nice black rim and I'm leaving it like that.

If this offends, apologies in advance.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: No fuss for this one

Postby KevLa » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:30 am

Seems like a good idea to me, and the results should be interesting. I often smoke a pipe a number of times before doing more than passing a pipe cleaner through her. I think you'll find most pipes are pretty forgiving :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:06 am

If you want the authenticity of the '20s, also refrain from using pipe cleaners. They were not commercially available until the 30s which is why Dunhill invented the Inner Tube around the end of WW1. Absent that, you were on your own and might have to run a wire down the stem and shank once it became blocked. That's still a good reason to retain the trim cuttings when you change guitar strings, they work quite well when things have gotten gummed up enough that pipe cleaners just bend. 8-)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby taharris » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:35 am

In my experience Briar pipes are a lot more forgiving than most think. I smoke the same pipe multiple times during a day before a quick wipe of the bowl and a bristle pipe cleaner through the stem.

I will then let the pipe dry out for a day or two before smoking it again.

Seems to work well for me anyway.

Todd
taharris

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:38 am

I think I will stick to the cleaners! No guitar and no strings...I've smoked this one every day so far and it certainly is getting a good black bowl and rim stain. Quite sticky, too, I've noticed. I'll carry one with it. Not the only one I smoke in a day, but it's certainly had far more attention than normal. One thing is for sure, it will be well and truly broken in.
I'm tempted to give the same treatment to an old straight billiard and see how that develops too.

Happy smoking all.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion