Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Favourite pipe makers?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Favourite pipe makers?

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:33 am

Do you have any favourite pipe makers whose work you have?
There are so many these days, it's hard to single them out without being unfair.

My own modest collection has some pipes by Ian Walker of Northern Briars, a couple by Chris Askwith and Mike Billington of Blakemar Briars, all UK makers.
From further afield, Sabina Santos of Portugal is a recent addition. And a lovely pipe, a Danish Bari, by the Nielsens of Faarborg, is a great little smoker.
The big names and factories predominate perhaps, and my Petersons, Savinellis, Stanwells etc are all there too and equally loved, but I do like a handmade pipe with its personal and unique character.
How about yourselves?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Favourite pipe makers?

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:44 am

My favourite pipe brand is the old Bjarne. I have nine of them, and they're champions, one and all :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevinM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:17 am

I'm partial to the Italian makers, with See Jacopo in the lead. But not by a wide margin. Neerup (Danish) and Savinelli are probably my favorite working pipes, and I've recently gotten into American maker Tim West.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Peterson ,BC and Dunhill in briar ,Tekin in meerschaum .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 am

Having indulged myself to excess over the past few years, my choices in order are Dunhill, Castello and Becker. They are all relatively expensive, well crafted, and use old wood, not much to say beyond that.

If we drop down one tier, then I think that Ashton is excellent. I only have one, but it's damn near Dunhill quality. Drop down another tier and I really like the lone Randy Wiley pipe that I own, great quality at a mid-range price.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Hermit » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 am

Mark Tinsky.
I just bought his Christmas pipe in blasted morta.
That makes twenty-five. :D
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby TigerJack » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Gary @ Marvic Pipes, G'Day Gents
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby George » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Out of my collection (40+pipes) I have a couple of old estate Oldenkotts, a couple of Savinelli, a Brebbia, and a couple of cheap £10 Stonehaven pipes and a couple of MM cobs, that smoke just great, and that I tend to smoke more than the rest of my collection. To be honest they smoke just as good as my Dunhills & Charatans.
Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
George

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Some recent discoveries include Sabina Santos from Portugal and Bruno Nuttens of France. Each has a distinct style and their pipes look quite enticing. I have one from Sabina but have yet to acquire from Bruno, though that may not take too long. It's good to explore these and other artisans and I hope that they can continue for a long time to come.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby mgtarheel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Steve, can you post a picture of your Sabina? Been thinking about getting one from her when she posts some more on her website. Mike
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
mgtarheel

Postby George » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I follow some of Sabna's work on a facebook pipe group. Her pipes are really nice (and that is not a euphemism for anything smutty). :D
Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
George

Postby KevinP » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 am

Jacono for me. I just put together a video guide to collecting his pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJDMg3AzeY
KevinP

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm

mgtarheel wrote:Steve, can you post a picture of your Sabina? Been thinking about getting one from her when she posts some more on her website. Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the request. I'd love to oblige, but tech problems with my old laptop and now a new one mean I cannot get images at the moment. If you are able to wait a wee bit longer, I will do my best to iron out these difficulties and then I can post a couple of images.
The one I have is a poker with a black, rusticated finish. Her recent work inspired by Danish design and technique also looks very good indeed.

All the best,
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:08 am

KevinP wrote:Jacono for me. I just put together a video guide to collecting his pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJDMg3AzeY

Great video, Kevin, I watched the entire thing and you have some wonderful pipes. I might try to track down a Jacono and give it a whirl.

btw, I know that you know this already, but for the benefit of any of our insular fellow Mericans who may watch the video and are wondering why the logo is an i instead of a j if the brand is Jacono in English, the 5 letters missing in Italian are J, K, W, X, and Y, so J becomes I. :ugeek:
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 am

Super video, Kevin. Your collection is impressive. What stood out are the quality of the pipes themselves, the fabulous designs, the beautiful grain and your sheer enthusiasm for them. A great promotion for Jacono.
As with Richard, I do not have these, but it is certainly worth looking at.
Appreciated your articulate, clear and infectious admiration for these superb pieces of work.
Enjoy them all.
Stev
Geo3rge

Postby KevinP » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 am

Thanks, all. Your kind words are important to me!
KevinP

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion