Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Is it me?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Is it me?

Postby KevinM » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:49 pm

With weather beginning to warm up, I've been gravitating towards VA blends and cobs. They have just been the combo really scratching the itch lately, especially earlier in the day. I'm still enjoying lat blends in briars, but generally in the evening. Aromatics have fallen off the radar in entirety!!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Is it me?

Postby KevLa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:04 pm

I think a lot of us find our tastes changing as the day and/or year progresses, Kevin. I almost always find myself wanting a milder blend when I awake, and stronger through the day. Overall, dark Virginia seems to be what I'm drawn to most, nowadays :)
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Probably an age thing ,as your taste buds seem to change as you get older ,I rarely smoke latakias these days and cannot remember the last time I opened a tin .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:45 am

I think the replies have it in a nutshell. Tastes change as do our bodies. Whilst I've stuck faithfully to my St. Bruno for years, I've also noticed some differences in reverse - I'm getting a touch more Lat these days, though only a touch...love full Virginias. Never really done the aros, though.
S
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Could be weather, could be age. It could also be the fact I've been off the cigs for the past two months. I'm not complaining about the change and am enjoying the ride!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:29 pm

KevinM wrote:...I've been off the cigs for the past two months...

Excellent work, sir! Keep a strong pipe blend and a small pipe in your pocket, standing by, and don't be tempted to inhale, and you'll reap the rewards, I'm sure :D
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:54 am

KevLa wrote:
KevinM wrote:...I've been off the cigs for the past two months...

Excellent work, sir! Keep a strong pipe blend and a small pipe in your pocket, standing by, and don't be tempted to inhale, and you'll reap the rewards, I'm sure :D

hah, you just reminded me that as of February 1, I have not smoked a cigarette in four years. That's significant mainly because when you have forgotten to note how long you have been without a cig, you have actually quit rather than stopped. :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 am

Then chalk me in the stopped column!!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:00 am

Giving up an addictive drug habit is not a competition, it's a personal endeavour. "Stopped" and "quit" are just words. What matters is that the less tar in one's lungs, the better.
Keep it up, Kevin; you're doing great!
KevLa

Postby KevinM » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Very True Sir!! Stopped, quit, or simply on a sabbatical, I am just happy I am not indulging in that horrible aspect of tobacco enjoyment at the moment.

The main reason I want to be off the cigs is what I perceive to be the "dirty" aspect of that habit. I have always been a conscientious smoker with regards to others, as well as the environment. When I am at work in one of the few designated smoking areas and see tons of cigarette butts lying around on the ground within feet of a smokers can, I just shake my head in disbelief. How can individuals who are so persecuted and limited in society literally be so discourteous and lazy? Is it a dare to the establishment? At least my pipe smells better (IMO), I can easily tap the ash, place in my pocket, and move along. I don't have to leave a trail of nasty filters indicating I enjoyed my consumption of tobacco. From an environmental aspect, my footprint is much smaller to non-existent. And, I know longer have a smelly ashtray overflowing in my car, or at my house. I also never recall burning myself or clothing from any of my pipes the way I have done with cigs. I no longer frantically take stock of inventory to ensure I have a supply available for when I cannot get to a store, etc. Plus, the overall cost of my tobacco habit has gone down quite dramatically.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Good observations and points. People can be quite selfish and careless when they want to be. Once when I was a child, my father got into his car with me. As we did so, he pointed out the roadside by his neighbour's car; a huge mound of cigarette ends was there. The neighbour had simply dumped the car ashtray onto the road. It looked disgusting. I never forgot that. My dad was very conscientious about his smoking habit and deplored this selfish act.
A pipe seems to have minimal fuss when it comes to the footprints and is almost a self-contained disposable unit, it's just the ashes and dottle that need removing.
A good home supply of pipe tobacco is very comforting indeed. Those cigarette packs disappear alarmingly quickly. I can remember older relatives smoking 60 a day years ago when prices were so much cheaper, but the amount needed in a week sounds horrifying now. There must have been a frantic rush to get them in each day, or buy enough in bulk to last the week. No one could afford it here at that rate anyway.
So the pipe is really the best way to enjoy tobacco from cost and environment considerations, not to mention health. Taste, smell and enjoyment all perk up with the pipe, so I wish you every happiness with it, Kevin.
S
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 pm

I concur, my friends. There is no excuse for littering. And I am the only smoker, here at work, who does not have to take a turn emptying the manky fag-ends out of the bin :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby dissector » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 am

Great points,

I will only add that the art of pipe smoking is the most economical way to enjoy the tobacco (once we disregard the aspect of collecting pipes and other unusual artifacts, but that is a different story...). When I have a pipe I am forced to slow down and consider life and my day ahead of me.

D
dissector

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 am

Pipe tobacco is great value for money, even with our UK exhorbitant costs. 50g usually lasts me a week, though I have blends jarred that I dip into as well as my usual daily fayre.
The expensive part is indeed the pipes. But, as with any hobby or area of interest, you have to spend on it to get enjoyment from it.
Can't think of a better way of simple smoking pleasure.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:06 am

Good to 'see' you, D. :)
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion