Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pipe Club of London Meet at Blakemar Briars

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Pipe Club of London Meet at Blakemar Briars

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I spent an enjoyable few hours today at Blakemar Briars in Northamptonshire, England. The venue is one of the last remaining pipe makers in the UK; possibly a handful might still be in operation? I stand corrected if anyone cares to do so...
As the journey each way is around 3 hours, I only get down about twice a year, but it is extremely enjoyable as I meet fellow club members and share a few pipes with them. Food is provided and the pipe workshop (in itself a treasure trove of machinery, briar stock, turned pipes and stems, plus boxes galore filled with every conceivable shape, size and colour) is simply lovely just to be in and relax.
This was a pre-arranged meeting on the club calendar and I aimed to get to it today on one of the very few free Saturdays i seem to get these days. Well worth the driving and seeing the English countryside and villages in the latter part of the first journey was a bonus.
Didn't buy much except some tobacco (I've often come away with one of the pipes - and excellent value they are - made by the proprietor, Mike Billington, but that didn't matter in the end. As a club member, I try to attend both of these scheduled meetings, even if it does involve a 300 mile round trip!

The sobering thought is that once this venue stops functioning, as it one day will, I am sure, there will be another empty space left in the tradition of pipe-making here. The traditional skills will be lost, I fear.
For the moment, I'm treasuring such places as much as possible.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion