Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Bowl size

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Bowl size

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:05 am

I have noticed that a lot of my older pipes have a much smaller bowl and mouthpiece size compared to the more modern ones. Apart from visual awareness and comparison, the modern ones sometimes have trouble fitting into the older racks, which clearly were made with smaller dimensions in mind.
Have members also found that modern pipes are tending to be larger, or is this just an idiosyncratic observation of mine?
I quite like a large pipe every now and then, though, on average, I tend to go for a medium bowl, if only for the fact that I can never actually smoke a full bowl of the former. In addition, as I clench a lot, the large pipes can weigh heavy on the teeth.
That's my thought for the day. Any from your good selves?

Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Bowl size

Postby KevLa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:52 am

I've noticed that the average American pipe seems to be larger-bowled than the average British pipe. Some of my Danish, and at least two of my Italian pipes have capacious bowls, too. I often relight them later, sometimes the following day :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Are they straight or bent Steve .
I find a bent pipe is easier to clench than a straight of the same weight .
I like a straight pipe that will hold one flake of Erinmore Flake and bents that hold a flake and a half .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 am

Most of the ones I'm thinking of are bent. Just a simple observation here. It's possible that the artisan movement in pipe making has gone for the larger size in recent years. I do enjoy straights as well, I need to add.
Hope your day goes well, all.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion