Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

How long does your tobacco last?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

How long does your tobacco last?

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 pm

I made a note last Tuesday as I opened a fresh pouch of St. Bruno Flake. I have smoked nothing else all week and I have noted that, with just enough left for tomorrow's pipes (Monday) the 50g pouch will have lasted exactly seven days.
That gives me a sharper indication both of consumption and expenditure, the latter being all important given the cost of tobacco here.
How about yourselves? How much do you get through in a week?
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: How long does your tobacco last?

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am

Very hard to say since I graze over multiple blends as a rule. But I smoke a lot of Royal Yacht and it looks like 150g per month is accounted for there. So maybe 450g/month?

500g of Hal O' The Wynd is $65.68 now, it was $66.57 in Sept 2015, so odd, yes? I think that it just reflects currency fluctuation as well as the flexible 100% markup at every distribution node with this stuff (same markup applies to clothing, furniture, jewelry, musical instruments, electronics, most consumer things).

Anyway, I was spending over $500/mo. back when I smoked cigarettes, so pipe tobacco is nothing. Purely a question of availability in the future and I am addressing that, but still not spending anywhere near as much as with cigs.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: How long does your tobacco last?

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:28 am

I had to either smile or cry at the cost you mentioned, Richard. 500g of Hal O' The Wynd here would cost us the equivalent of just over $175, or just under £140. If I smoke around 450g a month, it would be a considerable outlay. Hmmm...either I emigrate to the States or I cut back on my consumption.
Still, a pipe is with me for life, at least for the moment, so there's no avoiding a groaning wallet.
Enjoy your pipes today.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion