Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Cobs?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Cobs?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:25 pm

A pipe associate here in the U.K. has a box of unused Missouri Meerscahums dating from the 1930s.
Just over thirty of these cobs lie unmolested and unsmoked in their original package and they hold a special place of honour in his collection.
I have three of the much, much newer cobs, including two Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentlemen. I occasionally fill up and light up and quite enjoy the experience, though I must admit that they are not regular go-to pipes.
The Country Gentlemen models are robust and smooth-surfaced enough to create a pleasing 'feel' whilst holding and, yes, they give a good smoke. The soft, chewy bits can be an issue, but are, in fact, very comfortable to grip.
A UK TV programme, on the subject of train travel and hosted by an ex-Member of Parliament (The Hon. Michael Portillo) who has a passion for railways, was shown earlier this year as he travelled in the USA and it featured the MM company. A very interesting episode, though the host didn't appear with one of the pipes, I'm afraid. It would have been nice to see him sampling some of the products.
Anyone here have a special place for these pipes? I find them likeable and, if it is not too controversial to say, a little eccentric in a whimsical sort of way. Good, cool smokes and something different from a briar, ordinary Meerschaum or metal system pipe.

Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Cobs?

Postby KevLa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm a big fan of corn cobs, especially the ones with a rough, natural finish; those seem to "breathe," and help keep the bowl cool :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I use mine for aromatics as they burn a bit cooler than a briar .To me anyway they don't do well with virginias or virginia based mixtures .
The black stemmed cobs such as the Shire are not as brittle in the mouth and vulcanite stems can be bought from MM .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Listener666 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Yep........... I like cobs. I regularly bypass scores of briars to smoke form a cob. I like the Acorn, Marcus and Little Devil Cutty. I have a couple of the large freehands but don't enjoy them as often. It also depends on the baccy for me, some I prefer in a briar....strangely, Haunted Bookshop and OJK.....which I thought would have been good in a cob.....oh well.
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion