Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

How do you buy your tobacco?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

How do you buy your tobacco?

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:19 pm

I usually order online; it's simply quicker, easier and more convenient to do so. I used to visit the local tobacconist in Chester and I'm feeling a little guilty that I haven't been for a while, but busyness and business have preoccupied me for quite a few months now and I just haven't had the chance to take the car over, so armchair ordering has been the norm.
I do feel the need to go soon just to re-acquaint myself with the staff if nothing else.
When ordering online, I tend to buy a bulk amount, but UK prices being what they are, bulk means about half a dozen packs at the most. I'd love to buy a really good amount, but I no longer buy from abroad (used to love ordering from HU Tobaccos) owing to customs crackdowns and so it has to be home based.
Unless, of course, I make a trip into Europe and bring back stuff for my personal use, in which case I can be a little more generous to myself.
What about yourselves? Online, local tobacconist, supermarket...? Other means?
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: How do you buy your tobacco?

Postby Dodger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:59 pm

My regular Erinmore Flake I get locally ,most of the others on line ,and the occasional trip across the Channel .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Nomad » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Until recently, it has mostly been online. That came about because I developed a taste for Germain's SLF, which went through a period of being hard to find at times - many places would be out of stock, so I'd pounce on it when I found somewhere that had it, and buy several tins out of fear of it disappearing again. The other main tobaccos that I like (Irish Flake and Nightcap) are regular stock items, and I don't smoke them as much, so I would either pick up a tin at the B&M, or add a couple to an SLF order. I feel that I have a good stash of SLF now (in tins, mostly for aging), and haven't been trawling online as much.

My recent foray into blending has led me to visit the local B&M more often because they stock a few component tobaccos in bulk.
Nomad

Postby KevinP » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Online. There is a shop I can go to with some SG, GLP, C&D and others, but I would never go there looking for a specific blend though I usually pick up something. Anyway, I'm about to leave the country for a year so that won't even be an option.

Do miss the days when I'd stroll into Iwan Ries, hear 'Hi Kevin,' browse the large tobacco selection, fill my pipe and light it up in the store being buying it.
KevinP

Postby KevLa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am

Almost all online, these days.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion