Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Illicit posts...ongoing

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Illicit posts...ongoing

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:34 pm

123 deleted today so far! I'm trying to understand (and failing) what kind of person would do this and why. Will simply keep on deleting until they tire out, hopefully.

Addendum - forgot those deleted this afternoon.
Grand total of 160 today!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Illicit posts...ongoing

Postby daveinlax » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Geo3rge wrote: I'm trying to understand (and failing) what kind of person would do this and why. Will simply keep on deleting until they tire out, hopefully.

LoL! It's not a person but a computer program that is mining data. It will not stop until stop until someone updates the software. :shock:
daveinlax

Postby KevLa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm

I don't see the mirth in this misunderstanding. Steve has been working hard to keep this forum from ending. Not all of us have an intimate knowledge of all things related to computing.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks Dave and Kev. I appreciate your concerns and information.

The problems here are:
A. I am the only Moderator in action on the site at present.
B. There is no way of contacting the original founder of T&P; various means have been used by many people, in the last couple of years. I simply don't know how to get hold of him or be sure that he is even still alive! It's a mystery and a problem and no-one has the means to get to the system and update it.
I am completely unsure what to do in this situation.

I very much appreciate your words, folks!
We shall press on!
Geo3rge

Postby Dodger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Hope it improves in the future .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Stuff like this is why I lost interest in being a Mod here. Eric went MIA some time back for whatever reason but is still the site owner and the only one who could really manage back end things like maintaining spam filtering. As I recall, Bob asked him about transferring ownership or otherwise delegating owner-level rights and never got a reply that I know of. So, the site is sort of like the Flying Dutchman, it may exist but nobody is at the wheel.

Just to help you guys understand how the antispam stuff works, you configure the site new member process to look up known spamhaus email addresses using one of many internet services that exist for this purpose, then kill the attempt if there is a match, so no posts. The list obviously changes by the minute, so if you lose access to the service for some reason, then you will fall behind pretty quickly and suffer accordingly. II's also possible that there is a new-ish exploit against the phpBB software that the site uses, if you do not keep that patched with current updates, same result.

So, I don't see this getting better unless Eric reappears and I'm actually surprised it isn't worse by now. The mystery is how the monthly hosting charges continue to be paid if Eric is no longer interested? The Members link shows he has not logged in since 15 Mar 2016 20:00, go figure....

Anyway, good luck to you Steve, I appreciate your efforts.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Now that is a polite, explanatory, helpful, and grown-up contribution. Nicely done, Richard, and thank you :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 pm

As with Kev, a most helpful and informative contribution. Very much appreciated, Richard. The process you describe seems terribly complicated to me, though I suspect once applied it would thereafter be straightforward(ish).
I, too, have wondered about who is paying for the charges. I wish Eric well wherever he is.

The spam seems to have died off for now, but that's no guarantee of anything. For the moment, business as usual.
Thanks, guys.
Great support.
Steve
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion