Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

First Pipe?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

First Pipe?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Can you remember your very first pipe?
Mine was either a Falcon or an Alco, I think. It was around 1975 at the grand age of 19 years, or thereabouts. The reason I'm dithering with doubt is that it is over 40 years ago!
I can remember being excited at filling and lighting it; but also having nerves buying it as I seemed so young and naive at the time - not much has changed with the latter, I think.
The big problem, however, was that I couldn't get the pipe to remain alight. Goodness, it was difficult.

I persevered and managed to enjoy smoking it eventually. The beginning of a long love affair...
Tobacco was St. Bruno as it was a popular brand then, more widespread than now and I had plenty of opportunity to see pipe smokers and learn from them by watching.

I still love SB and the Falcon style.

How about your good selves? First pipe memories...
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: First Pipe?

Postby Nomad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 pm

My first pipe was probably a straight briar of some sort, bought about 35 years ago to try out pipe smoking. I didn't get it (didn't have a clue), decided not to bother and it disappeared. After that, a few years ago, I got a gourd calabash estate pipe for its non-canon associations with Sherlock Holmes, but didn't smoke it. A couple of years after that, I was reading a post on a bushcraft forum, where someone was listing his minimal kit, and he included a pipe and baccy. That kind of set me off and I decided to give pipe smoking another try, now aided with the plethora of information available these days. I went to the local B&M and got a Parker basket pipe (the straight apple I've referred to in my blending thread) and some Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, and finally got into it properly. It turned out that I didn't like the baccy, but I tried a few others before settling for the most part on SLF and Irish Flake. I don't smoke the calabash much, but it seems to be reserved for Irish Flake, probably because one flake will fit in the bowl while most of my pipes are a bit smaller.

So, my first pipe in terms of chronology probably barely lasted two bowls of unknown tobacco and fell by the wayside. The second was bought without ever intending to be smoked but sees occasional use. And the third one was the first bought with serious intent and still gets smoked plenty. I still see the Parker apple as my first pipe, even though it was actually the third.
Nomad

Postby Dodger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Can't remember when I bought my first pipe ,but I think my second was a Falcon bought in 68 .Age has affected my memory it seems .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby TigerJack » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 am

My first pipe was a homemade corn cob at the age of 13 , I am 57 you do the math . G'Day
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby ratatosk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 am

Dr. Grabow Duke billiard in late 1970. Absolute piece of shit that never got better before I finally threw it away a couple of years ago. I am mystified that people actually treasure these things, they were the lowest of the low by design,
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am

My first tobacco pipe is my Buckingham quarter-bent Dublin churchwarden. She is a present from my girlfriend of the time. I'm sure Esther would be happy to know of all the joy her gift has led me to in the years since we parted :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion