Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

UK Forum data on pipe smokers

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

UK Forum data on pipe smokers

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am

I belong to another forum, the UK Pipe and Tobacco Club (UKPTC) on Facebook. Normally wary of the aforementioned institution, this is a ‘secret’ group, protecting members from those who may not be the genuine article.
The group has over 500 members at present.
The Moderator recently (ie last weekend) collated data from all members into age groups. The following was produced as a result:

18-24 6.9%
25-34 26.1%
35-44 23.8%
45-54 21.1%
55-64 13.2%
65+ 7.3%

What is very interesting is that the highest percentage category is in the 25-34 age group.
I’ve noticed quite a lot of recently new faces who are in the 18-24 group as well.

This is encouraging, considering pipe smokers are in a decided minority. It is refreshing to see new people being attracted to the pipe and continuing in the hobby. Of course, there are those who disappear as well and a pipe is not for everyone. Once tried, it may not catch on, but, nevertheless, I am very pleased to see these figures.
Equally interesting is the older category having a relatively low score. It may just be that older smokers are around but not members of a group, have no wish to join a membership or be unaware of forums, or simply not computer savvy? Any number of reasons, I suppose.

That’s one view of the UK pipe scene as it is at present.
What is it like elsewhere, I wonder?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: UK Forum data on pipe smokers

Postby KevLa » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

There'll be a LOT of pipe-smokers who don't (know how to) use FaceBook, though. I'm one, myself, and I'm only forty :)
I'm afraid that this is a view of that particular FaceBook club, not the U.K. pipe scene, Steve :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:27 pm

A good point, Kev. Appreciated. It is indeed a Facebook view in that sense, but these folk are in society at large and, as such, represent some part of the pipe smoking population in general?
It would be interesting, though perhaps logistically impossible, to conduct a national survey of pipe smokers. How it would be done is a different matter altogether!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 am

Oh, yes, they're out there, and I agree that that's good to know :)
As to a national survey, it seems ever more unlikely, doesn't it? :|
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion