Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Best time of day for a pipe?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Best time of day for a pipe?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Do you have a best time to smoke, or are all times best?

I enjoy a pipe at any time of the day, but perhaps the best moment is the first one in the mornings; nothing quite like that initial pipe to ease you into the rest of the day...
As I have ongoing sleep issues as well, I find a pipe in the early hours can be really enjoyable, though it tends to be about half a bowl then. A mug of tea as an accompaniment is perfect.

Outdoor smoking is my usual thing, so down on the allotment I always have at least one full bowl and usually begin another at some point. The back patio, weather permitting, is my preferred home base for a pipe.
At home, I find a bowl can last me half a day as I rarely sit down for a concentrated smoke. I usually smoke for a few minutes and then put it down, returning several times until finished.

The last one of the day, unless I’m up in the wee hours, is also a good one and if the weather is kind it can be a very pleasant few moments in the quiet of the late night.
What about your good selves?
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Best time of day for a pipe?

Postby Dodger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Post meal pipes are usually the best smokes for me ,the after breakfast pipe reassures me that I made it through another night :) ,which as I am reaching 3 score years and 10 rapidly is not to be taken for granted .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 am

Best pipe is generally the one I get to once I have dragged my ass out of bed in the morning, fed the cats, and am waiting for my wife to get home from work at the hospital (obviously, she works overnight). Nothing better than to sit there in my bathrobe drinking strong coffee and smoking some 5 year old Early Morning Pipe in a Dunhill that I would never take outside of my home for fear of loss or damage.

When I smoked cigarettes, I could not even get out of bed without 1 or 2 first, then I would smoke in my car on the way to my morning destination. Now, if I gather up late and miss my morning pipe, it's no big deal, I will just have a smoke later. That's been the case for going on 5 years now and I heavily smoked cigs for 45 years before, so it can be done.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Nomad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

In the evening for me, mainly because I don't have time in the morning (job to go to) or during the day (at work, and a pipe is too long for a smoke break). I sometimes have a pipe in the afternoon at the weekend, but it's not often.

For me, a pipe tends to be something that happens when I decide I'm going to sit down and do nothing much for an hour, and that tends to be more likely in the latter part of the evening.
Nomad

Postby Listener666 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am

Interesting thread........

I usually only smoke one (sometimes two bowls a day).....but usually really like the morning bowl to be a strong tasting Burley forward blend, before food, with a large cup of fresh ground black coffee.
Outside on the patio unless hurricane force winds....( I'm getting better at coping with pipes and gusts ;) ) or rain........inside the shed if needed or dark.

Interesting how people vary their pleasure..............
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby KevLa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:35 pm

The first pipe of the day is usually mild, but always much appreciated. The part-bowls during my three ten-minute breaks at work are great stress-relievers. A good, long smoke whilst reading makes the book better. A stiff, strong tobacco before bed, too!
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion