Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Bad tasting dottle?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Bad tasting dottle?

Postby rusty » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

Hi guys,
My problem is if I fully fill a bowl by the time I'm half way down the taste gets unpleasant due to the moisture build up in the bowl and tobacco at the bottom of the bowl.
Am I forever doomed to only smoking half filled bowls to avoid this, or is there a way around it? Cheers all.
rusty

Re: Bad tasting dottle?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:11 pm

I find the same, which is why I rarely smoke a full bowlful with some pipes and blends.
Some factors can be considered; I make no pretense at them being cure-alls, just some thoughts in response!

Speed and rate of smoking - too quick and furious can create problems lower down. Try sipping slowly and regularly if you haven’t done this yet?
Ash - try emptying the ash from the top half, you may find the lower half burns better and a little drier. Too much ash might act as a lid, blocking the flame and not allowing the remaining shreds to breathe.
Type of tobacco. Some aromatics might be heavily cased and create a lot of ‘goo’ at the base. Try a non-aromatic for a change.
Size of bowl - I’ve found a large bowl can sometimes be problematic simply owing to size and capacity. The volume of tobacco can just be too much and the base sits there gathering all the moisture during the long smoke.
Weather, local conditions can also affect the performance. Damp conditions here always mean a lot of moisture, goo and so on with my pipes.
Change the pipe frequently. If it is oversmoked, it won’t have the chance to dry out in between smokes.

A few personal thoughts...good luck with the search for that perfect bowlful!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Good ideas from Steve, there.
I used to find PhiltPads helpful. Do you use a filter of any kind, Rusty?
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby rusty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for that there's a few things ringing true for me .
Iv recently started taking the ash off the top which really aids relighting and does help with the taste .
I'm probably guilty of over using my Alco bowls before resting and cleaning , and my work pipe which is a small bowl is definitely over used as I use it daily for work and might not be cleaned all week barring a quick wipe out and a pipe cleaner run through.
I sometimes use a charcoal filter in my big Ben but mostly not. I'm starting to think I'm just over using without resting properly between bowls as the big Ben is a nice taste as it's not used as much by far.
I'm going to do a major clean of all my bowls and rotate daily between them , ill let you know how I get on .
Thanks again.
rusty

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 am

I reckon that'll be it! :)
A lot of pipe-smokers seem to insist on cleaning and resting a pipe after every smoke, but I regularly smoke the same pipe around half-a-dozen times with no problem. More than that and they do need a proper clean and rest :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 am

I also do some back to back smokes in the same pipe as of late. No problem, but I would say lay it down for a day after that and also consider reaming now and then, that can make a huge difference in a pipe that has seen duty.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby rusty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for all your help, I'm happy now all is well and nothing regular cleaning and rotation couldn't handle.
I got lazy with making sure my work pipe was full and in my bag , it was getting abused, not any more,cheers again guys .
rusty

Postby KevLa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Your happiness is our happiness :)_,~
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion