Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Disappointing pipes?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Disappointing pipes?

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Bought any pipes that disappointed?
You may have made an heroic attempt to like them or just smoke them but, somehow, they haven’t made the grade and have, instead, become a bit of a dead weight?
Or, they looked fine in the online catalogue but, once delivered, the reality was different?
And what about that pipe which gurgles incessantly or can’t take a pipe cleaner down the stem?

A fine looking pipe (ie in the catalogue photo) from a Greek maker (and I have a few other excellent pipes from him) proved very difficult to smoke as the stem was unnaturally bent at a peculiar angle; the draw was very restricted. And getting a cleaner down it proved absolutely impossible. Needless to say the offending briar has been confined to the back of the cupboard.
Another from a European maker has proven disappointing as it was just too small in every way, from bowl to length of stem. That’s my own fault. I didn’t check the dimensions when ordering.
And, thirdly, a secondhand briar proved to be useless from the start when I took my first puffs and clenched and bit through the mouthpiece which, I felt, had been restored a little too judiciously with buffing. After reporting the case, the sellers, who were polite but insistent, reported that their secondhands didn’t carry warranty. I got a UK maker to fit a new stem.

Any sad tales to tell?
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Disappointing pipes?

Postby Wizhunter » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Bought a Joyoldelf Pearwood pipe which tends to get to hot,it's not because i'm using Virginia's which i know burn hot or because i am smoking to fast because my Corn cobs and Grabow are perfectly fine.Could it be because it's a new pipe or is Pearwood usually a wood or root that burn hot ?.Sticking to Briar in future.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby acaciavet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 pm

A 1949 Dunhill Shell. I still have it but I just might launch it on to the expressway. Smokes like an Old log!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ratatosk » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 am

acaciavet wrote:A 1949 Dunhill Shell. I still have it but I just might launch it on to the expressway. Smokes like an Old log!

Chuck, I've seen you complain about that Dunhill many times. My theory is that even in 1949, the Brits were still not using best quality aged wood, what with the WWII thing and all. I would imagine that a Dunhill made between 1942 and perhaps 1955 is going to be somewhat suspect just because of the war.

I can promise you that they are making some excellent pipes now though, worth the money if you either buy cheap out of Europe or find an estate in the US that is not priced too crazy.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion