Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Dr Grabow in the UK

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Dr Grabow in the UK

Postby Wizhunter » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi Guys
Though pretty new to pipe smoking i have got a thing about Dr Grabows after buying a Viscount last week,which is my one and only Grabow at the moment. I am in the process of looking for others but am finding that here in the UK they are pretty rare to find. I have my eye on 2 which are pretty good condition and am hoping the bidding doesn't go to high as i'm not the richest pipe smoker in the world.I have joined quite a few forums (3) apart from this but they are pretty much mainly American pipers and really have no idea where i should look on this side of the pond, which is where you guys come in.If any of you guys know where i might be able to locate some at a cheapish price could you let me know,i don't want them if they are needing a lot of work because i am no good at that sort of thing. If they need a bit of a clean and a wax alls good :).The reason i won't buy them from the States is because the majority of the sellers are charging import tax on top of shipping, which makes a $10 pipe a $60 pipe which is a bit more than i want to pay.All i ask is that if you here of any Grabows in the UK can you give me a message and let me know.

Thanks in advance
Wiz
Wizhunter

Re: Dr Grabow in the UK

Postby Dodger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Don't give up on the US vendors ,when I was collecting there was a great difference between dealers on postal charges .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Wizhunter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for the reply Dodger, ebay seems to be getting worse with the shipping and some of them also charging import tax, i have seen a couple of Grabows that i will bid on later, they are sellers in europe and a decent price at the moment. It's becoming a thing that is putting me off ebay,the postal charges on some items are getting ridiculous even in the UK, though i suppose they have to make their money some way. I also think the pipe smoking community is dying away, i am a member of 4 forums one being Dr Grabow only sort of forum and there is nothing on this side of the pond and on the Grabow site there isn't much activity which is a shame.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby Dodger » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:04 pm

When I stopped collecting it was starting to be a regular thing for the postage to exceed the cost of the pipe ,and this as well as a lack of room was the reason I stopped .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Wizhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:12 pm

I won the Crown Duke and The Viscount, paid £10 each so i am well pleased :D

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Well done for the new additions. Good prices there. Hope the postage didn’t exceed them! I rarely look at eBay these days, only when the odd pipe madness grips me. Seem to be an awful lot of expensive pipes there, though, as you’ve proved, you can grab a bargain at times. Hope they smoke well for you.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Wizhunter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:18 am

Your right George, some sellers hike their prices up and some try to make extra cash through postage, i have seen a few Grabows in the States with reasonable shipping but some add import tax as well. I have spoke to a few guys in the States who can't understand why they are adding import tax when there is supposed to be no need for it. The 2 Grabows i won are pretty much new, infact one was sold as unsmoked, the postage was £4.90 but they were coming from Lituania. The same seller had some beautiful pipes, but i am wanting Grabows. He has just put up a Westbrook and i am considering bidding on that one. I now have 3 and am needing a few more for my rotation, especially since my packing the pipe is more or less spot on. I can't wait to try the new ones because if the viscount i have is anything to go by, they will smoke like a champ.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 pm

There are still bargains to be found on eBay, though. I bought a Bjarne estate in lovely condition, the other day, from Spain; less than £25, including postage.

And the import charges are the same as you would otherwise pay Customs, I believe.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Wizhunter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Kev-la...Idon't think you have to pay import tax on pipes, but you do if buying tobacco, there must of been some sort of complaint because some of the sellers that were charging it have taken it off their listings. I don't think there are many UK buyers that would want to pay import tax on top of shipping unless it was a rare pipe at a bargain price, even then i would have to think about it. The Dr Grabows i am looking for are classed as the drugstore pipe, or poor mans pipe i have heard them called. So when i see one at $10 dollars and the shipping is $30 then they add $15 for import tax, that bargain isn't much of a bargain. I am still hunting for them in the UK and Europe but will give the States a wide berth.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Virtually any package of value £15+ entering the U.K. from a non-E.U. country must have V.A.T. paid by recipient, + approx. £8 Royal Mail handling fee before it'll be released at delivery office. This is different from paying duty on tobacco etc.
Kev-La
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Wizhunter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 pm

I stand corrected but the items i am talking about are $15 tops, i don't think i will be ordering from the States anyway even though there are some beautiful Grabows being offered.I was going to look into ordering tobacco from the States but i think it will turn out just as expensive.

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Yes, you are correct in that a pipe of value $15 should not have any import fees added :)
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion