Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Home Made Storage

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Home Made Storage

Postby Nomad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I've been making some more storage bits, but felt that the Jar Storage thread in tobacco discussions wasn't suitable for these, or the pipe making section, so in here seems the most suitable. After making the little shelves for getting the baccy jars tidied up, I've moved on to making more general storage for accessories and pipes.

Here are the two bits that I've made...

A box for holding pipe cleaners, and a stand for my gourd calabash. Both are made from the same 12mm thick oak used for the shelves, again finished with a coat of amber shellac with a light sand afterwards to flatten the grain (which gets raised a little with the shellac).

The box was pretty straightforward, but it took a bit of time to make the inside of the loop shape for the pipe stand. The rounded ends were cut out using forstner bits (big round things that cut very cleanly and precisely), and the straight inner edges done with a coping saw. It was then a case of a fair amount of filing and sanding to tidy things up. The stand is made from four layers of the oak stacked up and glued together (the in-between bits were worked out after the loop was made so that I could see how much the pipe dropped down). The loop is a bit wider at the top surface than at the underside to create a tapered profile for the pipe to settle into - less likely to mar the pipe than presenting a harder edge that would result from vertical walls on the inside.

Here they are on the shelf with their stored things added...

The box has about 60 cleaners in it. It was sized to strike a balance between the cleaners not being too tightly packed, keeping the box size reasonably small, and having enough to not have to replenish from stock too often.

I'm planning to make a pipe rack (or racks) at some point, but the calabash is a bit too oddly shaped to work in one of those, so making a dedicated stand made sense. It also gave me a bit more experience with working the oak - I've found that it machines quite well, and responds nicely to abrasion and sandpaper, but is a bit splintery when worked with a chisel. All this will help to inform how I approach the pipe rack, which I expect will have some fiddly shaping.
Nomad

Re: Home Made Storage

Postby ratatosk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 am

wow, that is just excellent, Sir! I don't have the patience/skills/tools to do anything like that.

If you enjoy making these things, then please continue and perhaps offer them for sale on ebay or otherwise? At any rate, you did good work from what I see and I congratulate you on a job well done!
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Yes, good job! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Nomad » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks, chaps.

Richard, I enjoy making them, but only as far as one-offs. As soon as I tried making a batch of them to sell, it would feel like a job (and I already work full time). If anything, it's more about the whole creative process, from conceiving the idea, designing it, making it, and then having it to use. There's always a satisfying moment when a piece is finished, where I look at it and remind myself that it didn't exist earlier.
Nomad

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am

Simply excellent. Fine skills there. I have no abilities in this area and these objects are impressive. Well done.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:37 am

Nomad wrote:Thanks, chaps.

Richard, I enjoy making them, but only as far as one-offs. As soon as I tried making a batch of them to sell, it would feel like a job (and I already work full time). If anything, it's more about the whole creative process, from conceiving the idea, designing it, making it, and then having it to use. There's always a satisfying moment when a piece is finished, where I look at it and remind myself that it didn't exist earlier.

I understand, Sir, and it's great that you are able to do something like this that gives you satisfaction. Keep up the good work.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Creativity is a splendid thing :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion