Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Old and New

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Old and New

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 am

What are the oldest and most recent pipes in your collections?

I have a Peterson 314 system that is getting on for almost 30 years now. I bought it when moving into my present house. Smooth finish. Still smokes great. The colour, a walnut shade, is just up my street, as I am not a great fan of the reddish stains that seem to pop up these days. The grain on this pipe is lovely.
The latest is a Blakemar Briars Pennine with saddle stem. Also smooth. Walnut again.

The oldest pipe I own, bought about 10 years ago, is a small straight Peterson with silver band. About 70 years old I think. Compared to more contemporary designs, this pipe is petite, but it has given a couple of good smokes, though I tend to let it sit on the rack.

The issue of size is intriguing as my more recent pipes simply don’t fit into older pipe racks owing to the stem and bowl being broader. I’ve adapted one of the racks (no woodworker am I) to accommodate the size difference.
Modern pipe design has definitely enlarged its boundaries in more ways than one...
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Old and New

Postby ratatosk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 am

The oldest pipe I own is a Barling EXE Fossil Ye Olde Wood that was made sometime before 1962. Depending on whom you choose to believe, the wood may have begun to grow while Napoleon was galloping around Europe.

The newest is a Dunhill Bruyere 5103 Estate that was made in 2014. Both are excellent smokers, but I would have to give the edge to the Dunhill. The idea that only ancient pipes are worthy of special praise is just wrong, contemporary ones can be as good or better if you are willing to spend the money.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 pm

My oldest pipes are meerschaums and a few briars, but I never smoke them .
The oldest I smoke on a regular basis are a cased pair of Albec pipes with a 1929 hallmark on the go;d bands .
The newest is a Peterson 2017 Christmas 999 .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby NoBail » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:03 am

I own 2 Dunhill birth pipes. 1956. Both smoke very well. I bought them about 6 years ago.

The newest is a pipe purchased last fall from Benningtons in Florida. It is a nice Randy Wiley.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
NoBail

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:44 am

NoBail wrote:I own 2 Dunhill birth pipes. 1956. Both smoke very well. I bought them about 6 years ago.

The newest is a pipe purchased last fall from Benningtons in Florida. It is a nice Randy Wiley.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nice to hear. 1956 is also my birth year. As yet, don’t have a corresponding pipe! Enjoy them.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 pm

Mr. Dodger- I remember when you got the Albecs, those are treasures!

Birth year pipes- I would like one, but I'm a 52er and have concluded that British pipes made between maybe 1941 and 1955 are iffy because of the war, wrecked economy, and resulting use of ersatz materials in some cases. So no Dunhill, Charatan, Barling, etc., for me even if getting the provenance right is not the usual struggle.

Best shot would be to investigate Peterson, Castello, and Danish pipes from the era, but I don't really know how you would tie any of them to a specific year? First World Problem I reckon.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:18 pm

ratatosk wrote:Mr. Dodger- I remember when you got the Albecs, those are treasures!

Birth year pipes- I would like one, but I'm a 52er and have concluded that British pipes made between maybe 1941 and 1955 are iffy because of the war, wrecked economy, and resulting use of ersatz materials in some cases. So no Dunhill, Charatan, Barling, etc., for me even if getting the provenance right is not the usual struggle.

Best shot would be to investigate Peterson, Castello, and Danish pipes from the era, but I don't really know how you would tie any of them to a specific year? First World Problem I reckon.

Yes they are my best smokers.
As for birth year pipes if you after British or Irish .silver or gold banded are the way to be certain as there are year marks in the hallmark .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 am

I've got some very nice, old pipes in my collection. Several are cased meerschaum pipes with undamaged, amber stems. If I recall correctly, I've at least one from the late 19th century. And I've smoked very nearly every pipe I own :)_,~
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion