Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

First ever tobacco?

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

First ever tobacco?

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:12 am

Can you remember your first pipe tobacco?
Mine would have been St. Bruno, though it may have been Condor instead. St. B is likely to be the one as it featured in TV adverts (along with all the others) at the time and appealed much more. The memory fades a little as time goes on. Some forty years ago now. Ready Rubbed as far as I can remember. It took a lot of lighting, I recall, as I struggled to come to terms with this it. Got there in the end!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: First ever tobacco?

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Ennerdale Mixture, as recommended by local, non-smoking tobacconist. I enjoyed it :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Can you remember your first pipe tobacco?
Mine would have been St. Bruno, though it may have been Condor instead. St. B is likely to be the one as it featured in TV adverts (along with all the others) at the time and appealed much more. The memory fades a little as time goes on. Some forty years ago now. Ready Rubbed as far as I can remember. It took a lot of lighting, I recall, as I struggled to come to terms with this it. Got there in the end!

Same here .
They almost put me off pipe smoking for years. I found a decent tobacconist in Swindon (long gone) in 1970 who carried a wide range so I carried on with the pipe .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Nomad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake was my first. Don't know what led me to choose that - nobody recommended it or anything. Even though I was a noob, I just got hot smokes, lots of gurgle, and no real satisfaction. It became apparent that the flavouring doesn't come across in the smoke - can smell it in the tin and in the room, and if you get a whiff of the smoke while puffing, but it's not really there when you draw on it. At the same time, there wasn't much tobacco taste from it.

I eventually moved on to other things, like Special Latakia Flake and Irish Flake, and discovered the joys of quality tobacco that has a decent amount of flavour and isn't adulterated. I started to wonder if aromatics tend to be made with somewhat bland tobaccos to make room for the artificial flavouring (which isn't apparent in the smoke). I moved away from aromatics and never went back.

Until now...

In the interests of science, I found the last of the Vanilla Cream (a few flakes in a jar) and have lit one up, in the same pipe they were originally smoked in. Even with a few years experience, it still burns hot, can develop some gurgle, is a bit nippy on the tongue, and seems lacking in flavour. There's maybe some Virginia grassiness, but it seems somewhat subdued, or perhaps overshadowed by the burning of whatever is added to give the vanilla smell (not really a flavour).

I'm glad I persevered and got past this stuff to proper, straight tobaccos. :)
Nomad

Postby ratatosk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Pretty sure it would have been one of the Borkum Riff blends, probably the cognac topping. In a Dr. Grabow Duke which I still have but only as a reminder of how bad a cheap pipe can be. That was around 1971, I did not really smoke the pipe much because it was too hard to keep lit, just cigarettes and cheap cigars, same as many college youth of the era.

I eventually wound up with a few semi-decent tobacconist-branded pipes that I think were probably English seconds and suffered though various Tinder Box house aromatics that my eventual wife would buy because "they smelled so good in the jar." I don't think that I really encountered a decent tobacco until I started smoking tinned Dunhill blends in the 80's.

So long ago. :?
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion