Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pipe rotation

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Pipe rotation

Postby winston » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 pm

I need help on how many pipes I should keep in my rotation. It seems to me that I would rather have the least amount of pipes possible to keep a cool clean smoke and spend my money on a huge selection of tobaccos for my cellar. So if I smoke 2-3 bowls a day how many pipes can I get away with always getting a clean smoke. Keeping in mind that I clean the pipes at the end of every day. Right now I have 3 boswell's and a no name tinder box briar. Thanks for your help in advance.
winston

Re: Pipe rotation

Postby Falconeer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi,

Obviously your pipes need time to dry out if they're not going to start tasting "off." If you smoke a pipe for a whole day I'd say you need to rest it for at least a day and preferably two - so I reckon the minimum you need is three briars or cobs. Meers cope well with moisture but they still benefit from being allowed to dry - you could probably get by with two but three'd still be better.

For me three is the minimum figure and a seven day set is just about ideal.

That said - like most people I've one or two more than that!

Best meantime

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby burro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:15 pm

if you are only smoking 2-3 bowls per day and cleaning at the end of each day, you really only
need ONE pipe. You could justify more pipes if you want to dedicate a tobacco to a specific pipe.

of course those who are in the business of selling you pipes, will tell you need more, but i have found
that a well smoked pipe performs better than a well rested pipe.
"I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat" Grannie Hawkins
burro

Postby acaciavet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 pm

I agree with Burro.I own 52 but that is becuase I am weak and I am also a collector.I have 7 I smoke all the time,Like Burro said these well smoked pipe performs better then old # 52. Oh I also have over 100lbs of Tobacco and I am 61.

Cheers Mate
Chuck
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Muddler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:56 pm

I go along with Gerry on this - at least 3. You can either smoke one each day or just smoke a single bowl in each of the 3 every day.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ewlewis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:26 am

Personally I rotate by the smoke. I hardly smoke the same pipe twice in a day. After each smoke I run a pipe cleaner through it and set it to dry on the rack. IN this way each pipe has approx. 24 hours between smokes. According to that method, and rate of smoking, 3 would still work.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby morleysson » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I have a rotation of 12 in one rack and 8 in another rack. I'll probably go through the larger rack in two days, and the smaller round rack in a day or so, but there are so many factors involved in selecting which to smoke. Now, each of these racks are reselected every few months to ensure that I try to smoke all of the pipes in my amassing. Collection is far too orderly, and I don't collect, I amass pipes. I may go through all of the 80+ pipes in a year's worth of smoking.
morleysson
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Falconeer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:35 pm

It's amazing how we all find our own different ways; I've aways said I'm a Smoker not a collector but that said I've accumulated a fair few despite having given away three sets this last three years.

In the big static caravan where I spend a lot of my time in Northumberland there's a rack with eight standard Falcons beside the bed, theres a rack with seven meers in my personal cupboard and a tin box with seven cobs in my drawer. At home in Scotland there's my set of Falcon Extras (8) and around 10 good briars (Sas' and Peterson.)

My choice varies with the season - eg cobs in the summer, meers in the winter, briars in the spring, but being honest my "go to" pipes remain my Falcons, but that's probably just the comfort of the familiar,

Best to all

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion