Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Advice for Noobs (and old stagers?)

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

Re: Advice for Noobs (and old stagers?)

Postby Piperman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 am

Anthorn wrote:I smoke strong tobacco with a lot of nicotine most of the time so I don't need a lot of tobacco. If I'm smoking, say, Dunhill MM 965 and I get the urge to smoke another bowl when I've just finished one out comes Samuel Gawith 1792 or a twist. I'm currently revisiting Gawith Hoggarth Black Sliced Twist and I must say I'm disappointed with the nicotine. I still don't get the burned beef taste noted in reviews: More like burned pork crackling to me.

Why don't you try Five Brothers, Anthorn? It's a high nicotine kick.
Igor Image - Pipe Dreamer
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am

Anthorn wrote:I smoke strong tobacco with a lot of nicotine most of the time so I don't need a lot of tobacco.

I make a conscious effort not to smoke strong tobaccos most of the time. Okay, so perhaps I do get through medium strength blends too quickly, but the alternative would be that I'd miss out on a lot of great medium strength blends.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby ScotsJim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:34 am

Anthorn wrote:I smoke strong tobacco with a lot of nicotine most of the time so I don't need a lot of tobacco.

I make a conscious effort not to smoke strong tobaccos most of the time. Okay, so perhaps I do get through medium strength blends too quickly, but the alternative would be that I'd miss out on a lot of great medium strength blends. I do always smoke at least two to three bowls of high Vitamin N tobacco a day though. Keeps the hounds from the door ;) :lol:
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby HowlinWolf » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:05 am

Reported
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Brett » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Personally, I prefer to smoke 2 or 3 bowls of a medium tobacco that I like the flavour of, rather than one bowl of a hi-Nic tobacco of a flavour I'm not so keen on. I usually smoke 3 bowls a day, often from the same pipe, before giving it a good clean & greasing and putting it away for the night. I then use a different pipe the next day, rotating 4 or 5 of my favourite pipes on a regular basis over the week.
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby Anthorn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:21 pm

I think it depends on the reasons why we smoke; For me it's both for nicotine and the enjoyment of discovering different flavours with the accent on nicotine. So I smoke principally strong tobacco but I also have a liking for medium, balanced English blends. "English" in the sense that they depend on the tobacco alone for their aroma and flavour.

I'd say that if someone is smoking for nicotine or at least nicotine is their principle pleasure and they are going over 10 bowls a day then their tobacco is not strong enough for them. They are also wasting money in buying too much tobacco. So in such a circumstance moving to a stronger blend will likely be better for them. The other effect of smoking a tobacco which is too weak is the temptation to inhale the smoke to get more nicotine. One should not need to inhale pipe tobacco smoke to get nicotine beyond expelling it through the nose.
Favourite tobacco: Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Kendal Brown Twist (Sliced Brown Bogie), Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, Dunhill My Mixture 965, Ashton Artisan's Blend, Peterson Irish Flake. Most disiked tobacco: Peterson Sunset Breeze, Samuel Gawith Perfection.
Anthorn

Postby ScotsJim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Anthorn wrote:I think it depends on the reasons why we smoke; For me it's both for nicotine and the enjoyment of discovering different flavours with the accent on nicotine.

Definite +1 I am a Vitamin N freak ! :lol:

A while back Anthorn, there was a thread asking, "Do you smoke for nicotine?" Surprisingly ( to me ) enough, many smokers on this forum claimed they did not smoke for nicotine.
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby Slickheadhunter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:26 pm

ScotsJim wrote:
Anthorn wrote:I think it depends on the reasons why we smoke; For me it's both for nicotine and the enjoyment of discovering different flavours with the accent on nicotine.

Definite +1 I am a Vitamin N freak ! :lol:

A while back Anthorn, there was a thread asking, "Do you smoke for nicotine?" Surprisingly ( to me ) enough, many smokers on this forum claimed they did not smoke for nicotine.

That's just plain silliness!
Slickheadhunter

Postby highstump » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 pm

ScotsJim wrote:A while back Anthorn, there was a thread asking, "Do you smoke for nicotine?" Surprisingly ( to me ) enough, many smokers on this forum claimed they did not smoke for nicotine.

Of course this won't apply to everyone but in my case, while I don't use nasal snuff I do go through my fair share of Copenhagen. I don't know for sure but depending on the tobacco I probably don't get near the nicotine punch from a pipe that I do from the Cope. I suppose in this regard I don't smoke so much for the nicotine as the flavor. Since we have more than a few snuff users here, this may explain the claims you are talking about. Interesting question. :)
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby William » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 pm

I completely deny any nicotine addiction and smoke purely for the flavor. It just so happens that the blends having the most flavor, for me, also have a high nic content. ;)
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 am

If you choose to believe Wikipedia:

Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties.[56] However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.[36]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Psychoactive_effects

This destinction is not something that the Cancer Industry chooses to acknowledge as it's simpler to just claim that nicotine is addictive in itself rather than to conduct a pharmacology course. However, it may explain why nicotine delivery systems that are offered as a way to "quit smoking" generally fail.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 pm

The Cancer Industry states ;

Smoking causes cancer :roll:

To which I ask ;

So everyone who smokes gets cancer ?

Scare mongering bollocks !
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby highstump » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 pm

ScotsJim wrote:The Cancer Industry states ;

To which I ask ;

I tried and tried but just could not find a better way to put it myself! :D
Jim

highstump

Postby ScotsJim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:32 pm

highstump wrote:

To which I ask ;

All advertising ( and that's basically what health warnings ultimately are ) are more often than not based on scaremongering and downright lies ;

Use this toothpaste if your gums bleed or all your teeth will fall out

Use this wrinkle cream or by the time your 50 you'll have a face like a contour map of Ben Nevis

Use this anti-perspirant or you'll smell like an old sock

Eat this cereal or else you'll spent your life constipated

Drink this lager or else you're an untrendy saddo who'll never pull the ladies

Eat these chocolates and your sophisticated. Not in any way just a fat fuck

Wear this aftershave and you'll pull all the ladies and be able to drive like a tosser at 100mph down the road to your penthouse

Drive this car and you'll be really cool even though you do have an incredibly small penis for your age.

Take out this insurance or else you'll leave your loved ones in debt up to their eyeballs after your inevitable death

Take out this insurance in case you end up paralysed and begging for scraps on the streets

Buy a TV license even though you signed no contract with the BBC and most of their programmes are repeats

Use this mobile phone or else you're obviously so still in the 1990's and an unmodern tosser

Don't eat meat or you'll get mad cow disease and die a horrible death

Buy a nano mask or else you'll get bird flu and die a horrible death

And that's just off the top of my head.... ( Which has obviously just been washed with an anti-dandruff shampoo just in case....sigh )
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby highstump » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:34 pm

ScotsJim wrote:
highstump wrote:

To which I ask ;

All advertising ( and that's basically what health warnings ultimately are ) are more often than not based on scaremongering and downright lies...

True enough. Many people seem content to just let the "experts" do the thinking for them, after all they are experts... :roll:

I smoke a pipe (and sometimes on payday a good cigar) simply because I like it. How much of that is flavor and how much is nicotine I don't know, and bottom line is I don't care. :)
Jim

highstump

Postby Brett » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 am

ScotsJim wrote:
All advertising ( and that's basically what health warnings ultimately are ) are more often than not based on scaremongering and downright lies ;

It's brainwashing. Sales Propaganda to make you believe you need something that you don't need at all.
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby 4nogginsmike » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 pm

I went through a period of about 5 years when at least 50% of what I smoked was high nicotine. It I heard of another such blend, I'd jump on it and order a pound. Though I still like nicotine and Dark Flake is my favorite tobacco, I neither seek out such blends nor feel cheated if what I'm smoking is medium nicotine. The ratio of medium nicotine to high nicotine blends is probably at least 20:1. Insisting on high nicotine meant that I was missing out on a lot of great medium-nicotine blends. In sum I enjoy high nicotine when the blend I want to smoke has it but don't miss it that much when does not.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby HowlinWolf » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Rusticated and sandblasted finishes are used to conceal poor briar and so (implied) such a pipe will be an inferior smoker, be full of faults and will probably burn out sooner or later.

Probably, if there's anything poor about the briar in a rusticated pipe, it's the grain. If made up into a smooth pipe the grain wouldn't evoke a "Buy, buy, buy!" reaction from the consumer. If a $100 Savinelli is offered in rustic and smooth, how much worse can the briar on the rusticated pipe be than the briar on its smooth brother? Conversely, how much better can the briar be on the smooth sibling? Both are equally likely or unlikely to have fills.
Notch it up to the $600 Italian jobs. Does anyone really think that a $600 blast pipe is made of poor briar? But it might be made of an otherwise flawless piece of briar that if made up smooth would not evoke the reaction "Now that pipe's worth every penny of $600" from a buyer.

Smaller bowled pipes are best for flake tobacco.

I've been buying into this one myself lately, but I'm not convinced it's true. If there's any justification for it, it might be the case that maybe flake tobacco loses more of its flavor magic when a whole lot of top of the bowl smoke has been passed through it than do other types of tobacco, therefore the second half of a big bowl is less satisfying than it might otherwise have been. Maybe. Could be just a folklorish prejudice, too. For a long time I smoked VA flakes in a huge Canadian dedicated to VAs, now I smoke them in a little Bing. Both pipes delivered a satisfying smoke.

The ghost of a previous tobacco will ruin the taste of any other tobacco smoked in a ghosted pipe.

With the caveat that it really depends on what the ghost is (aromatics, Mixture 79 and Condor come to mind), this is in the eye of the beholder. Those who genuinely taste little hints of grapefruit in certain VAs, and hints of lingonberries in certain red wines are given full rein to hold this opinion. Those who hold this opinion mostly because opinionated experts say so are also of course at liberty to do so.

Pipes made long ago were made from superior briar and so will smoke better than modern ones.

I've heard this a lot, but I've never, never, never heard of anyone doing an A - B test of an unsmoked new-old-stock 40 or 50 year old pipe vs. the same brand modern, new & unsmoked. Maybe someone has; wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't run across it. That's one point to consider. Here's another: better or worse quality wise, in the time since it was made the wood in the old pipe has in a sense aged for 40 - 50 years longer (in the form of a finished pipe), and the pipe's really thoroughly broken in via decades of use. Both of those factors make an apples and apples comparison of old/used and new unsmoked pipes problematic at best on account of a long list of differences between the two pipes.
Could it be that the briar in the vintage Webers I have is better than the briar in a new high end? I don't know. But I think the answer is probably "no." But the difference doesn't make much of a difference to me - see next entry.

You will be unlikely to get a really good pipe if you buy an entry level model.

I often wonder how "really good" a pipe has to be to successfully fulfill the task of burning tobacco ;) Any pipe that doesn't gargle, overheat, etc. has by definition successfully completed 99% of its mission. What the remaining 1% of the task is and how much $$$ one is willing to spend to achieve it is an entirely personal decision that the smoker should never be put in the position of defending unless he takes it upon himself to call high end pipe smokers pretentious snobs, or say that people who smoke $100 Savinellis, Petersons, Stanwell etc. are ignorant boors who have no conception of what smoking a pipe is really like. Whatever happens after statements of that sort are made, the person brought it upon himself.

I have about 60 or so pipes that "count" and about 10 or so rather sketchy ones that came in lots and "don't count." With less than a half dozen more pricey exceptions, all of them cost or originally retailed (inflation adjusted) for $150 or less. They all fulfill 99% of the mission task, and some of them are cute enough to grab that last 1%, too.
What my favorite pipes among them are tends to fluctuate arbitrarily. For instance, for quite a while I thought the sun rose and set on Savinelli's #316. Lately, not so much. Not for a justifiable performance reason, either. Fickleness, really.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby WigglePig » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:59 am

OK, here's a noobie question for you.
Both my girlfriend and I have a pipe each; mine is a Barber B-line (can't complain as its quite pretty and seems excellent value) and hers is a small-bowled long, curved pipe (the make of which I cannot remember) and we are having very different experiences with them.
I seem to be able to keep the pipe going reasonably well but she keeps having hers go out. Her pipe gets very hot, so much so that the bowl is uncomfortable to hold. Mine just gets warm.
Is this common with smaller pipe bowls or is it likely some feature of our different techniques?
She is a committed cigarette smoker whereas I had never smoked until I tried a pipe (perhaps a month ago) and decided that it was a thing I could quite like. Perhaps this makes a difference too?

Regards
Jason
WigglePig

Postby 4nogginsmike » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 pm

HW's position above re: old vs new briar has occupied my thoughts from time to time. Frankly, I wonder about those who have such rarified perceptions, whether it could be true, and if so, is this due to a more highly developed palate. I don't know, but I tend to think that my palate is capable of such discriminations as well. The people who claim Algerian briar, which I guess was only available until WWII, fosters fantastic smokes; that Italian briar has this flavor and Grecian another; and that corncobs taste like corn frustrate me, but that isn't to say that either side's position has more value than the other.

WP it's likely that your girlfriend is smoking too fast. If the bowl gets hot enough to hurt your fingers, she's smoking too fast. In my opinion mastering a smoking technique propelled by sipping is the most difficult aspect of pipe smoking. Not only does it allow holding the bowl comfortably, it also keeps the tender oral tissues from being burned from the hot smoke. Take a few puffs and tune into just how hot that smoke is. It is only six inches or so distant, from burning tobacco. The reverse calabash design mitigates that heat by condensing the hot vapor into water within the secondary chamber, and thus by the time the smoke enters the mouth, the amount of hot gas is reduced resulting in a cooler smoke.

Sip don't suck the smoke into your mouth, very small sips. That should help!
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

PreviousNext

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion