Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Penzance

This is for the box passes or if you have something you'd like to trade, post about it here.

Penzance

Postby butterspread » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:36 am

For some reason I think I am going to like it. But I don't know until I try it. Now, as we are about trying I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere in the UK. Would anyone be willing to sell me some? I am quite happy to take a risk and buy a full 50g, but if anyone have any loose I would even buy 10-20g to have a few good taster sessions.

Please let me know if you would like to help your fellow smoker.

Kris.
butterspread

Re: Penzance

Postby ColoradoHusker » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:53 am

Kris, I have been on a hunt for this blend ever since I picked up the hobby in July. If I score a tin I'll send you half as one BOTL to another.
ColoradoHusker

Postby ratatosk » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Penzance and most Esoterica blends are extremely hard to come by. I don't even know that Penzance has ever been sold in Europe, but Germain Krumble Kake is nearly the same thing. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-tobacciana-a-history Unfortunately, none of this stuff is regularly available.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ColoradoHusker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:23 am

Very interesting read. Thanks Richard. I'll give Krumble Kake a try.
ColoradoHusker

Postby tarheel7734 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:15 am

I really enjoy Penzance. It was a staple before I had the break in 2010 and had plenty of it that I sold. Now I back into smoking and still love it. I am always searching for more as I only have about 12 oz total left. 3 tins from 1999 and most of an 8oz bag from 99.
tarheel7734

Postby KevLa » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Our fellow Tamp-and-Puffer Frizz (where are you, Frizz?) was kind enough to send me some Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance a while back. It may have been all the hype spoiling me, but I have to say I was disappointed. It tasted all right but nothing special, and is probably the weakest unflavoured blend I've ever smoked. Oh, well! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:35 pm

I never considered Penzance to be especially weak, but find it to be quite subtle. It is certainly over hyped and will not change your life, but is one of those blends like Nightcap or 1792 that is sometimes the only thing that will do if you are in a particular mood.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby mgtarheel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm

If I remember correctly, Germain's Rich Dark Flake is exactly the same as Penzance. It is only sold overseas, while we get Penzance in the US. You will find that Krumble Kake is just as hard to find as Penzance, IMHO.

I guess that's what happens when you get older, you frigging lose your mind. :lol:
Last edited by mgtarheel on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
mgtarheel

Postby tarheel7734 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Tarheelmike wrote:If I remember correctly, Germain's Rich Dark Flake is exactly the same as Penzance. It is only sold overseas, while we get Penzance in the US. You will find that Krumble Kake is just as hard to find as Penzance, IMHO.

Rich dark flake is simikar to stonehaven not penzance.
tarheel7734

Postby HowlinWolf » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:01 pm

ratatosk wrote: It is certainly over hyped and will not change your life

About six or eight years ago you could buy Esoterica tobaccos at will. True story. That's when I had Penzance, and I agree with Richard - while freely admitting that Penzance IS very good.

I think there is a cadre of a few dozen guys buying up everything Esoterica makes as fast as it is made. Having fifty pounds of Penzance in your basement definitely marks you as a Kemo Sabe in the right company.

Anyway, Kris, if you see any Penzance you might want to buy it, if for no other reason than to prove you really did see it! :lol:
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:55 am

When I started smoking Penzance sometime in the early/mid 90s, it was generally available at the B&M I favored, as were all of the Esoterica blends. Even 10-12 years ago, that was still true.

Sadly, now the B&M is gone and Esoterica stuff is as rare as an albino panther. The problem with the theory that there is a small cadre buying it all up is that most vendors put 1 or 2 unit quotas on purchases, so that would not be especially practical. More likely is that the crafty Channel Islanders realized that limiting supply enhanced mystique, or maybe they are just committed to properly aging it before shipment and don't really have the facilities to meet internet-driven demand?
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Back order it from Iwan Ries. It may take a while but you will get it. I called them.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby noodle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Having never smoked it but did question what it was like someone in Facebook likened it to squadron leader from gawiths
No idea how accurate that is but if it is true
I'm fine never having any
in real life im known as john woods
noodle

Postby William » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:46 pm

noodle wrote:Having never smoked it but did question what it was like someone in Facebook likened it to squadron leader from gawiths
No idea how accurate that is but if it is true
I'm fine never having any

I'll have to smoke a bowl to confirm but even though it's been over a year since I opened a jar, I will still say they are not alike. I will also say that I like Squadron Leader more, and I don't think you're missing much. However, Stonehaven is another matter altogether! :lol:
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ColoradoHusker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:38 pm

It's been awhile but I have finally scored some penzance. Butterspread, PM me your address and I'll fulfill my promise.
ColoradoHusker

Postby butterspread » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:21 am

ColoradoHusker, I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it was delivered since I see it in Outbox and not Sent Items.
butterspread

Postby ColoradoHusker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:25 am

Kris, I responded.
ColoradoHusker

Return to Tobacco Swap