Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

March: Escudo

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

March: Escudo

Postby TigerJack » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Ok guys Ewlewis was the first one to respond to my post suggesting Escudo as tobacco for the month of march so here we go . I have never smoked this tobacco so I will order some & then review.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Re: March: Escudo

Postby N7COF » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Great, Escudo is one of my top three blends & just got another 6 tins last week. :D
N7COF
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RompinDonkey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:22 pm

I will have to get a tin - this a blend that I haven't tried before.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby gnossos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm

It's great, rompin!
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ewlewis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm

waht exactly are the rules here. I guess I should have known what I was getting into.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby TigerJack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:07 am

I don't know the rules & hope I haven't broke any I just noticed this post wasn't being used since I joined the forum so I thought I would try & get it back running, If I have broke any rules, someone please let me know . Hopefully I have not broke any & if not before April someone, Anyone pick a tobacco for April & just post it like I did UNLESS of course I have broke a rule.

EDIT; I guess at some point the moderator would have to take over or not I don't mind what tobacco is picked just so someone picks one for each month ,That will keep the post going.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby HBGhost » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 am

Sooo,
I have to purchase a tin to participate :D

Dang ;)
"O muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending
A wanderer, harried for years on end..."
HBGhost

Postby TigerJack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:31 pm

OK, I got lucky and my uncle had a extra tin of this, and give it to me woo hoo. Anyway coins rubbed out nicely, felt a bit moist to me so I let it set for about 30 minutes rubbed out, loaded it in a Meer packed sorta light , lit and knew from first puff that I was going to like this baccy & I was right, It just got better as I went, with that said I would say this is more of a evening smoke for me because of the spicy / peppery note from the Perique. All in All I would give it 4 stars out 4, & I will definitely be making a order for a few tins.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby ewlewis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am

At first with this baccy i was confused, the fold and stuff did not seem to work. So I rolled it out and smoked away. I notice less perique than FMoB, but maybe that is just me. The VA is very nice and i do overall enjoy the overall smoke
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby gnossos » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 am

brim325 wrote:I don't know the rules & hope I haven't broke any I just noticed this post wasn't being used since I joined the forum so I thought I would try & get it back running, If I have broke any rules, someone please let me know . Hopefully I have not broke any & if not before April someone, Anyone pick a tobacco for April & just post it like I did UNLESS of course I have broke a rule.

EDIT; I guess at some point the moderator would have to take over or not I don't mind what tobacco is picked just so someone picks one for each month ,That will keep the post going.

BWAAA BAN THE MAN!!!

no of course not man, the tobacco of the month has been stagnant and we aren't too picky here. Good on you for getting it started again. I think the only rule here is "be civil", and even that has shown to have a little leeway.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby bearded1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:00 am

Escudo is one I miss for sure. I need to procure a tin or 5. Great smoke.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby Jay » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 am

Woo been a minute since I posted. Just wanted to let anyone who is interested know, I've got an unopened tin of Escudo with nearly a year of age on it that's up for a trade. Tins only, anything I haven't tried is fine by me. PM me if yer interested. If not, more for ME!!!

Escudo is one of my all time favorites, my usual method for packing is to dry a slice and a half just slightly, and that depends on how old the tin is and how dry the stuff is to begin with. I kind of roll/fold/stuff the full slice into the bowl, leaving just a hint of an air pocket. Then I rub the half slice out to near-powder state and sprinkle it on top. I haven't smoked Escudo in quite a while, and I'm literally drooling right now. Hear my tummy growl?
Throw the stick, Let the bulldog roll.
Jay
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby SmokinFool » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:11 am

I really like Escudo, as I do all the vapers I have tried. Problem is it doesn't always like me. The peppery-ness of the perique sometimes feels just like tongue-bite, and I have to be very careful when I smoke it. But - love the flavor!
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby TigerJack » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm

2nd & 3rd bowls of this baccy better than the first & the first was great.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby BHMitchell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:09 am

UGHHH! You guys are killing me! I found this tobacco very smooth, very satisfying, great blend. This will likely be a regular. I believe I am starting to enjoy VaPers. But, the TAD...UGHHH! :lol:

Looking forward to April already.
The believing we do something when we do nothing is the first illusion of tobacco. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
BHMitchell

Postby viper37 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 am

On opening the tin the aroma was quite pleasing, maybe a little like figs to me. I had a little trouble getting it lit but once I got it going no problems. At first I noticed the virginia's. The perique is there but not overpowering. I smoked it slow so I could really pay attention to it and there was no tounge bite. Overalll I found it to be very enjoyable and tasty.
Bill
viper37

Postby steppenwolph » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 pm

It is good timing that the tobacco of the month is Escudo, and I find myself in possession of a newly delivered tin of the stuff. I've not smoked it before, so I am looking forward to a revelatory experience. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by the sweet and fruity aroma of the tobacco, and the lovely presentation of the coins. Very nice. Now having smoked a bowl, I am impressed with how full and strong it is. My head was a little dizzy during that bowl. This bowl was smoked outdoors, so the room note was lost, but what cloud of smoke that did remain near was very nice. Of course, more must be smoked to get a better understanding of this tobacco, but my first impression is one of delight.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Postby TigerJack » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 am

I'm on my 10th bowl now, and I am very mad at myself for not trying it sooner. This will be well stocked from here on out.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby ewlewis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I have been staying fairly quiet so far, but now I will say a little more.

This tobacco to me is a small bowl smoker. For the first 20 to 30 minutes of this smoke I mildly enjoy it, but once it continues I become annoyed. I think it may simply be the perique. I may just not like it that much. The only other variety I have had is FMotB. With that said, it does smoke slowly and fully. the VA is of good quality. So overall it must be a good baccy for the perique lovers, but for me a Presby lover, it will not become a mainstay.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby raf66 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:55 pm

This is in my top 2 or 3 blends of all time. Very rich yet smooth, and the coins rub out very nicely. Definitely in a class all by itself in the VaPer category (or in any category for that matter). That's just my opinion though. Taste is such a personal quality.
"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head."-Winston Churchill
raf66

Next

Return to Tobacco Of The Month