Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

September: Billy Budd

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

September: Billy Budd

Postby ewlewis » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 am

Well we are a few days now into a new month and with it comes this fine tobacco. I have smoked 2 bowls and am now smoking the third. The blend is most definitely expertly blended and changes a bit through the smoke. However, for me there is a certain something, possibly the cigar leaf, that sits a little odd with me. It is not that I do not like it, it is simply different. This shall be an interesting month.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Re: September: Billy Budd

Postby ChefJ » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:04 am

It might be the cigar leaf that makes it so enjoyable for me. Not sure though.
Jeremy
ChefJ

Postby SmokinFool » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 am

It's the cigar leaf that makes me unsure of wether I even want to try it. I may end up sitting this one out. I just haven't decided for sure yet.
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby Muddler » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:57 am

A great burley blend. I enjoyed the cigar leaf in it. Unfortunately, I seem to have pretty much gone off burleys over the past little while. I passed a mason jar full of the stuff onto a good friend of mine. He loves it!
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ewlewis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 am

For even more opinions you can go here http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1799

Also do not be afraid to post here.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby ChefJ » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:35 am

I know folks call it a burley blend, but it says that it also contains a nice bit of latakia. Since I'm not as seasoned as some I pose a question: Is the burley more prevalent than the latakia?
Jeremy
ChefJ

Postby acaciavet » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:28 pm

I am not a big fan of the cigar leaf.Now let me get my hands on some Squad Leader :D
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Brooklynpipeguy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 pm

I just finished a tin of Billy Budd, my first and probably last. It smokes pretty well, burns well and doesn't leave much but fine ash. I'm not a fan of cigars, and this blend tastes like a cigar to me. The room note is pretty strong, I can smell it lingering hours after I finish a bowl. I had the tin about two months or so and it took me that long to finish it. It is not that I dislike it, I would smoke it if that was all I had, but I am not planning on buying more of it any time soon. I smoked the tin in a Boswell I have for English blends, and the pipe is holding the aroma quite well even after a few bowls of Northwoods. Actually, the very first bowl of Northwoods after the tin of Billy Budd tasted strangely good. Perhaps I should have tried blending a little together before I finished the Billy Budd. Anyway, this is not my idea of a tobacco to have on hand.
Kenny H.
Brooklynpipeguy
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby SmokinFool » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:59 am

Brooklynpipeguy wrote:I just finished a tin of Billy Budd, my first and probably last. It smokes pretty well, burns well and doesn't leave much but fine ash. I'm not a fan of cigars, and this blend tastes like a cigar to me. The room note is pretty strong, I can smell it lingering hours after I finish a bowl. I had the tin about two months or so and it took me that long to finish it. It is not that I dislike it, I would smoke it if that was all I had, but I am not planning on buying more of it any time soon. I smoked the tin in a Boswell I have for English blends, and the pipe is holding the aroma quite well even after a few bowls of Northwoods. Actually, the very first bowl of Northwoods after the tin of Billy Budd tasted strangely good. Perhaps I should have tried blending a little together before I finished the Billy Budd. Anyway, this is not my idea of a tobacco to have on hand.

That is exactly why I am sitting this one out. If it tastes anything at all like a cigar, then I don't want it. I have some cigars in my humidor that I can break out and smoke whenever I have a taste for that flavor profile. They should be aging nicely, as I haven't had any for a good while. I want my pipe tobacco to taste like pipe tobacco, not cigars.
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby ewlewis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:56 pm

It is interesting th efocus on cigar leaf inthis discussion. When I smoke Billy Budd, which I have come to love, I notice the leaf a bit, but it palys second fiddle to the latakia. Over all I find the blend quite nice and I will be ordering more.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm

This doesn't do it for me. I already smoke two cigar blends, Cuban Mixture and Key Largo, and this just seems rough and unbalanced in comparison. The cigar here tastes like ground up White Owls instead of a good maduro. I smoked a few bowls then traded mine.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Return to Tobacco Of The Month