Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Aug: GLP Jacknife Plug

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would yourate this blend?

Highly Recommend
25%
Recommend
25%
Neutral
38%
Discourage
13%
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 16

Aug: GLP Jacknife Plug

Postby ewlewis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:46 pm

I have to admit that I could not wait until August to give this a whirl. I opened it a couple days ago and so far I am really enjoying the blend.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Re: Aug: GLP Jacknife Plug

Postby StormCrow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:23 pm

It smelled dilicious in the tin, and I love the plug presentation which is so rare in US baccys...but I found it to be somewhat of a harsh smoke. I really wanted to like it, but I lost interest in this one quickly unfortunately.
Mark Twain
~ As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.
~ Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
~ I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices
StormCrow

Postby NCDuke » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Just got my tin of this in the mail, smells great. I'm going to have to wait until after dinner.
Little tube of mighty pow'r,
Charmer of an idle hour,
Object of my warm desire.
~Isaac Hawkins Browne, "A Pipe of Tobacco"
NCDuke

Postby NCDuke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 am

First bowl.. Really earthy, good quality leaf, but nothing really excites me about it.. neutral for now.
No room note that I can detect. Reminds me of jerky out of the tin. Decent taste.
Charmer of an idle hour,
NCDuke

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 am

StormCrow wrote:It smelled dilicious in the tin, and I love the plug presentation which is so rare in US baccys...but I found it to be somewhat of a harsh smoke. I really wanted to like it, but I lost interest in this one quickly unfortunately.

I have to agree with StormCrow.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Smokedrift » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:15 am

bob9039 wrote:
StormCrow wrote:It smelled dilicious in the tin, and I love the plug presentation which is so rare in US baccys...but I found it to be somewhat of a harsh smoke. I really wanted to like it, but I lost interest in this one quickly unfortunately.

I have to agree with StormCrow.

Ditto.
Smokedrift
Smokedrift

Postby TxChef77 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:55 pm

I haven't lost interest in it yet as I have only smoked a single pipe at this time, but other than that I completely agree with the above by StormCrow.

The flavor and aroma is neither appealing or repulsive, just kind of middle of the road and to me has a large nic hit to it.
~Travis

"I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you." - Anthony Bourdain

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ewlewis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I have to ask how much age you guys have on your samples of Jacknife. Mine has a few months and I do not find it harsh at all, and usually I am quite sensitive. I have only had 3 bowls and maybe perceptions will change. It looks like this one will be interesting.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby TxChef77 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 pm

ewlewis wrote:I have to ask how much age you guys have on your samples of Jacknife. Mine has a few months and I do not find it harsh at all, and usually I am quite sensitive. I have only had 3 bowls and maybe perceptions will change. It looks like this one will be interesting.

None whatsoever for me. Received it and that night and cut off a piece to smoke. My guess is this is how most people who are participating will be smoking it since we probably didn't own it before we decided on TOTM.

Maybe if it really does need a few months of age to mellow, we should let it sit for a while and then revisit it.
~Travis

"I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you." - Anthony Bourdain

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby aquaholic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 am

I'm interested to give this one another try. I bought 3 tins when it first came out and there was a bit of a rush on it. All three were tinned 01/26/11 and I opened the first one the first week of February and wasn't impressed at all, way to harsh and not a lot going on in terms of flavor. Guess I never really thought that only having a week and a half in the tin may have had something to do with that :oops: .

At the time I was kinda ticked off at myself for getting caught up in the frenzy and buying 3 tins but now it should make for an interesting comparison. I'll crack one open tonight and see if 6+ months helped it out at all ;)
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby NCDuke » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 am

Second bowl.. Same results. Like Tx said. Just kinda middle-of-the-road, not bad, not great. Maybe something will change.

No age on mine whatsoever. Did the same as him got it, cracked it open, sliced it, put in pipe. does it need to age? It's not so harsh as it is strong.
Charmer of an idle hour,
NCDuke

Postby KevinP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 am

Interesting reactions because I love this stuff. Earthy is the best term. It's one tobacco that, for me, lives up to the hype.

I do remember that my first bowl wasn't special though. I didn't think it was bad; I just smoked it and did something else and forgot about it. But the next time I tried it, I loved it. May have been a pipe-mismatch or I just smoked it at a time when I shouldn't have, when I couldn't give it the attention any new tobacco deserves.

Love the stuff now though. It's one of the most unique tobaccos I've encountered, completely unlike anything else.
KevinP

Postby StormCrow » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Some stoving and perhaps cutting it with a small portion of cav might go a log way to a smoother and slightly sweeter smoking experience.
Mark Twain
~ As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.
~ Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
~ I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices
StormCrow

Postby winston » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 pm

I really really like this blend. I'm surprised about some of the reviews thus far, as I think the taste and strength are amazing. It has such a deep earthy natural tobacco taste that it is hard to deny the quality leaf in this one. I bought some tins during the 1st offering and any harshness is gone. To me it is way smoother than Haddo's Delight with the same strength. It kind of reminds me of another blend of his, Cumberland, in a plug form. I'm really not a fan of messing with a plug, but once I cut the whole thing into flakes and put back in the tin to dry out a bit the smoke is remarkable. I like to fold and stuff a couple dry flakes in a small bowled pipe and just savor the flavors by gently sipping. To me it is very satisfying and rewarding! Don't give up on this one yet and I think some of your opinions will change.
Jon
winston

Postby aquaholic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Well I'll tell ya what, it's amazing what a few months can do to a tobacco. I opened the second tin of this and the blend has changed completely from what I remember 6+ months ago. In the first tin I remember the Kentucky being the dominant tobacco hot, harsh and not a whole lot of flavor. In the new tin I'm getting much more flavor out of the virginias, earthy and a good sweetness popping in and out. Definitely still has a good vitamin N kick although I wouldn't say it's as strong as say Irish Flake (for example). I don't know now if it's a tobacco that would make it into my regular rotation but it's definitely one I'd recommend. I'm gonna try to hold onto my last tin for another 6 months and see if the change is even more pronounced.
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ewlewis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 am

So I have been casually smoking this blend and have been falling more and more out of love with it. Perhaps it was the having to mess with the process of preparation and then not getting a consistent smoke experience. So as a last resort to regain my original appreciation I took the baccy and broke it up the best I could. Then I took it and put into a coffee grinder and what do you know I have a consistent cut and once again I appreciate the smoke
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby Slickheadhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 am

I cut some flakes then diced them up into small cubes and let them dry out quite a bit,I've also zapped the small cubes in the microwave. Then gravity feed the pipe till full and tamp down very lightly.The cubes give off a ton of flavor and also seems to produce a thicker creamier smoke,excellent tobacco!
Slickheadhunter

Postby NCDuke » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 am

Prolly not going to get any more... might try Chelsea Morning though...
Charmer of an idle hour,
NCDuke

Postby ewlewis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 am

Well, i just cannot make up my mind with this baccy. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Way to inconsistent for me. I will not be purchasing again. This makes it a neutral for me.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby kats » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 am

Anybody try the GLP Triple Play? I've got a tin in the cellar I have not opened yet - but I'm very curious.
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Next

Return to Tobacco Of The Month