Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Aug: GLP Jacknife Plug

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would yourate this blend?

Highly Recommend
25%
Recommend
25%
Neutral
38%
Discourage
13%
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: Aug: GLP Jacknife Plug

Postby Smokedrift » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 am

ewlewis wrote:Well, i just cannot make up my mind with this baccy. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

My sentiments as well. However, I'm liking it more often than not as Aug draws to a close. I still wouldn't recommend it... too inconsistent. Obsessive compulsive types should avoid it at all costs :!:
Smokedrift
Smokedrift

Postby KevinP » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:30 am

ewlewis wrote:Well, i just cannot make up my mind with this baccy. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Way to inconsistent for me. I will not be purchasing again. This makes it a neutral for me.

I do love the stuff, but I do find it very sensitive to what pipe it's in, more so than any other tobacco I've tried, so stick with what works and consider anything else an experiment.

On the other hand, perhaps it's the cut and the inevitable variety of sizes that go into each pipe. That's obviously a variable, though I'm not sure it's as drastic and the pipe one (unless you prepare two bowls with drastically different cuts).

Everybody is cuting downward, right? across the natural slices? You need to get a cross-cut to get the full punch.If you go the other way (which is easier), I think you're just getting some of the tobaccos involved and not the full blend.
KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:39 am

kats wrote:Anybody try the GLP Triple Play? I've got a tin in the cellar I have not opened yet - but I'm very curious.

Speaking as someone who loves Jack Knife Plug, I don't enjoy Triple Play as much. It is somewhat of a variation of JKP; since perique couldn't simply be added to JKP without affecting the balance, he had to make other adjustments, but thinking of TP as JKP+perique is accurate in a rule-of-thumb sort of way. I'd probably like it more if I'd tried it first, but that not being the case, I much prefer Jack Knife.
KevinP

Postby Hermit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 am

KevinP wrote:
kats wrote:Anybody try the GLP Triple Play? I've got a tin in the cellar I have not opened yet - but I'm very curious.

Speaking as someone who loves Jack Knife Plug, I don't enjoy Triple Play as much. It is somewhat of a variation of JKP; since perique couldn't simply be added to JKP without affecting the balance, he had to make other adjustments, but thinking of TP as JKP+perique is accurate in a rule-of-thumb sort of way. I'd probably like it more if I'd tried it first, but that not being the case, I much prefer Jack Knife.

I like em both, but I also prefer Jack Knife.
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevinP » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:37 am

I just realised the TOTM posts don't show up when you view active threads which is why I haven't been active in them. I'll pay more attention from now on.
KevinP

Previous

Return to Tobacco Of The Month