Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Sept.: Rattray's Hal O the Wynd

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would yourate this blend?

Highly Recommend
76%
Recommend
24%
Neutral
No votes
Discourage
No votes
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 29

Sept.: Rattray's Hal O the Wynd

Postby ewlewis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:19 am

So today is the first day of the blend. I have been anticipating this for a long time and am currently smoking my first bowl out of my Ser Jacopo bent bulldog. So far so good. I know this is a highly discussed blend as it is, but make sure to chime in with good notes here as well.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Re: Sept.: Rattray's Hal O the Wynd

Postby cakeanddottle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:01 am

the thing that makes this tobacco for me is that it has both backbone and nuance. I like FVF and McClelland Va's, but I've never had to put any thought into which I liked best. It's always been HOTW. Delicious and substantial=win in my book.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby KevLa » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:11 am

cakeanddottle wrote:...backbone and nuance...Delicious and substantial...

I concur :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby calipuffer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 am

This is the first "tinned" blend I have tried. This is also what I would consider my first Kentucky, Virginia, Perique mix without any aromatic.
I very much enjoy this tobacco. It really works for me... great flavor, easy to relax with and has a decent nicotine hit.
Delicious would be apt for me, but I'm not sure how to classify substantial in my experience. Compared to Boswell Berry Cobbler, it is much bolder/bigger, and I would expect that to be true.
From a "noob" perspective (for lack of comparison) it is an easy to get into tobacco with a lot of character, burns cool, and I can easily get all the way to ash. I find myself eager to get home and get a bowl going. I purchased another 100g and put in the corner of my cellar to enjoy after the many new tobaccos I've lined up to try.
Last edited by calipuffer on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
calipuffer

Postby cakeanddottle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 am

calipuffer wrote:Delicious would be apt for me, but I'm not sure how to classify substantial in my experience. Compared to Boswell Berry Cobbler, it is much bolder/bigger, and I would expect that to be true.

substantial=nicotine content, which is much appreciated after you smoke some tobaccos lacking in vitamin N
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby TigerJack » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:35 am

I'm not much on reviews, but I can say this is one fine tobacco,at the top of the list , I much prefer it to FVF & to me that says a lot.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby GTPowers » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:49 am

How do you lads prefer to take you HoTW? Small pipe, big pipe, rubbed out, stuffed? I have a Bass jar of HoTW sitting around for when the moment strikes me but I can't figure a way to take it that I enjoy.

-GT
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - The Man Who was Thursday, 1908
GTPowers

Postby NCDuke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:04 am

Extremely liking this blend. I don't taste the perique... But the nuttiness, and full Vitamin N are a perfect combo in this one.. This is an all-day smoke for me.
Little tube of mighty pow'r,
Charmer of an idle hour,
Object of my warm desire.
~Isaac Hawkins Browne, "A Pipe of Tobacco"
NCDuke

Postby Hermit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am

NCDuke wrote:Extremely liking this blend. I don't taste the perique... But the nuttiness, and full Vitamin N are a perfect combo in this one.. This is an all-day smoke for me.

One of my favorites
. (I don't detect any perique either.)
I have seventeen pounds of this stuff. :twisted:
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby bearded1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:00 pm

GTPowers wrote:How do you lads prefer to take you HoTW? Small pipe, big pipe, rubbed out, stuffed? I have a Bass jar of HoTW sitting around for when the moment strikes me but I can't figure a way to take it that I enjoy.

-GT

Smallish pipes, fully rubbed out. I believe I taste perique, but what's important is this stuff is an amazing tobacco whatever it contains! Worthy of cellaring and always having at the ready. I don't smoke it too often, but when the mood strikes, nothing else seems to satisfy.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby Taff » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:07 pm

I love this tobacco. If I was allowed only one tobacco ever again this would be it. Ok, my experience is limited, but even so it's divine! I do get a hint of the perique (now I know what to look for) it generally pops it's head up about halfway down, but on other days I get a whiff of it straight away. Frankly though, I don't care what is in it, whatever the combination actually is, it works!!
I went to sea to see what I could see, and all I've seen is the bloody sea !
Drop by my YouTube channel ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/YCymroAiGetyn
Twitter account
https://twitter.com/YCymroAiGetyn or just follow @YCymroAiGetyn
Taff

Postby ScotsJim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I can't recommend this tobacco enough. It was love at first puff. Nuff said.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby cakeanddottle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 pm

I have smoked this in 1.75-2" depth bowls, but I like it best in a 1.5" depth bowl.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby ewlewis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:39 am

Currently am smoking my second bowl and I must say it does not disappoint. I have to laugh because there are 10 highly recommends and recommend. This is clearly a lopsided baccy that everyone loves. Now if I just get enough bowls in my recommend should turn into a highly recommend quite quickly.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby aquaholic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:50 am

Definitely my go to virginia, its cousins arn't to bad either but HOTW has the perfect mixture of flavor and Nic for me :D
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Markw4mms » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:41 am

ScotsJim wrote:I can't recommend this tobacco enough. It was love at first puff. Nuff said.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
Markw4mms

Postby GTPowers » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 am

I've been having some bite issues with this months tobacco. I'm smoking a month old tin that has been sitting on my shelf in a sealed glass jar. The jar is air tight and left the HoTW with plenty of moisture. After about 5 bowls since I opened the tin I came to the conclusion that this stuff bites me despite how slow I smoke. It also gave me the sneezes and set my sinuses a-flare.
I thought maybe it was due to the moisture level so I rubbed out a bowl's full, put it on a plate and toasted (read; stoved) it with my evening toast and jam, about 4-5 minutes at pretty high temps. Think toaster.

Currently I am about half way through this bowl and it is 100% smoother. Pushing the smoke out my nose has no sting and there isn't a tinge of pain in the mouth. So I figure I'll leave my Bass jar open over the night before sealing it back up and the moister level should be at a more tolerable level. The sweetness doesn't really pop in my large Chacom but I don't have anything that isn't ghosted with Latakia or Orientals so I think I'm stuck smoking it out of a larger pipe. The burn is now much more even and manageable, so far no relights.

HoTW is a bit difficult to get a hold of in-store here in Chicago so I may be limited to this single 100g jar. It will defiantly be something I pick up when money and opportunity arise. Otherwise, I'll stick with my normal Orlik flake, which, I believe, is an admirable stand in.

-GT
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - The Man Who was Thursday, 1908
GTPowers

Postby vaburp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:00 am

One of my favorites. Has a lot more backbone and flavor than some, but still offers subtle flavors. Tastes different to me in a size 3 pipe, sweeter. Stuffed in a large meerschaum the flavor is bolder and I pick up some spice. I cellar a pound every year and should start cellaring two.
vaburp

Postby StormCrow » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 pm

I voted recommended. I've had VAs (more a VA to me than a VaPer) that I enjoyed more, but overall this fell into the upper echelon. It also had a bit more nic than I typically go for. Based on TR rating system I'm more of a medium to mild or medium strength blend kinda guy. I tend to be very easily affected by any sort of substance including liquor or persciption narcotics...ie, I'm a cheap date. :lol:

A magnum sized bowl of Blackwood Flake (medium strength) would have me feeling bad at around 3/4 of a bowl.
Mark Twain
~ As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.
~ Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
~ I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices
StormCrow

Postby Legend » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:00 pm

I got a tin 2 weeks ago and have blown through it already! I can't say that for anything else I've ever smoked...period. that and I am normally a burley guy!
Legend

Next

Return to Tobacco Of The Month