Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Oct: Presbyterian Mixture

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Highly Recommend
52%
Recommend
29%
Neutral
14%
Discourage
5%
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 21

Re: Oct: Presbyterian Mixture

Postby NCDuke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:45 am

cakeanddottle wrote:I guess this is my incentive to finally order a tin.

I have mine coming in the mail as we speak..
Little tube of mighty pow'r,
Charmer of an idle hour,
Object of my warm desire.
~Isaac Hawkins Browne, "A Pipe of Tobacco"
NCDuke

Postby calipuffer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 am

Second bowl gave me a wicked headache. Still won't write it off, could have been other factors. It does not excite me like HOTW did, and I had to convince myself to grab that tobacco rather than something else. Was a bit windy earlier today, and I think I was pulling harder than I would normally on the pipe. Just went out to put the garbage on the curb and the weather is just sublime. That after storm quiet period with a sharp cool air and the dampness. I should enjoy a bowl now, but I'm beat for the night.
calipuffer

Postby barredbenny » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Okay, I have decided to play along for this month! I was in my local tobacconist last Friday and saw this on the shelf and couldn't resist!

I have just popped the tin which sports a German inlay, strangely enough (I suspect an Lutheran plot), with an interesting bit of history on the blend.

I smoked one bowl of this and had three distinct initial impressions:

1. I feel I can definitely pick up Latakia in this.
2. it strikes me as a very tart tobacco, I don't get much sweetness at all. However...
3. I do get citrus type of fruit flavours from this (but lacking in sweetness).

All in all, not a very frivolous tobacco but rather solemn with presumably some depth, provided one dedicates time and effort to it. I can see why the good Calvinist minister took to this ;)

For my sins :twisted: , I shall smoke it some more and see what revelations it has in store for me.
Pinch taker in residence.
barredbenny

Location: London town, where the streets are paved with gold...

Postby Lestrade » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 am

Just popped a tin. :)
May your Pipe always be full of great tobacco!
Lestrade

Postby calipuffer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:24 am

Finally had a good smoke with Presby. A gravity filled bowl smoked cool and long with only a few relights. There is much more flavor than I had found in previous attempts. Could it be that it is "airing" out since I've opened the tin? Read Russ' article (pipesandcigars.com) which said you should make sure you have air for adequate aging... and I did transfer this tin to a mason jar after opening.
calipuffer

Postby NCDuke » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Don't wanna write it off.. not very exciting to me it reminds me so much of Dunhill's London Mixture. Got some fruityness to it, but its somewhat tart. got a blueberries and plum thing going. still gonna keep going.
Little tube of mighty pow'r,
Charmer of an idle hour,
Object of my warm desire.
~Isaac Hawkins Browne, "A Pipe of Tobacco"
NCDuke

Postby Emil » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:33 pm

I have not yet tried it, but I recently realized that of the (quite few btw... :cry: ) sealed aging tins in my collection, the Presbyterian tin which I bought in a small town in northern Sweden on tour with an orchestra and never thought much of, was actually produced in West Germany according to the tin stamp! So its the oldest one I have.
Can´t wait to crack it, but the hamster within me is forcing me to wait.
Nice to learn that so many of you guys like this tobacco. I will give a review when I open it.

Hmmm, this was supposed to be a review thread...sorry if this was sort of OT. Just too proud of this tin to miss the chance to boast a little :D
Emil

Postby calipuffer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:08 am

Realized I didn't give a final thought on this blend. Final Thought: Meh. I am not getting the complexity others speak of. I really wanted to like this, but I didn't get it. It is well made, has good moisture out of the tin and behaves well in the bowl, but I didn't get the flavor. I have a square bowl on my PAD list and will have to give it another go to see if the wider bowl gives this blend more room to show off. I'll give it another try in 6 to 12 months. Might actually be fun to have a second part of the TOTM where we all cellar half or so of the TOTM blend and respond in 12 months. CTOTM (cellered tobacco of the month) :geek:
calipuffer

Postby GTPowers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 am

Burn the heretics!

;)
-GT
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - The Man Who was Thursday, 1908
GTPowers

Postby RobD » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:02 am

[quote="ewlewis"]Well here we go with the new month. Everyone that is participating please feel free to comment here. Also there is quit a lengthy thread for this mix already, so for further opinion you can also look there.

As many may already know, I highly recommend this all brothers of the briar.[/quote]

I think Presby is a finely-crafted tobacco. I can appreciate it, but it's too sweet (or rich . . . not meaning 'strong') for me. RobD
RobD

Previous

Return to Tobacco Of The Month