Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Oct: Presbyterian Mixture

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Highly Recommend
52%
Recommend
29%
Neutral
14%
Discourage
5%
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 21

Oct: Presbyterian Mixture

Postby ewlewis » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Well here we go with the new month. Everyone that is participating please feel free to comment here. Also there is quit a lengthy thread for this mix already, so for further opinion you can also look there.

As many may already know, I highly recommend this all brothers of the briar.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Re: Oct: Presbyterian Mixture

Postby TxChef77 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:33 pm

So far I have smoked 2 bowls of this. One yesterday and one this morning. It is still highly confusing to me although the flavor is growing on me although the room note is still not very pleasant to me.
~Travis

"I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you." - Anthony Bourdain

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby cakeanddottle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:18 pm

I guess this is my incentive to finally order a tin.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby TxChef77 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm on my 3rd 1/2 sized bowl today. Getting used to the room note on this one finally I think. Not really bothering me except on initial light up. Really starting to enjoy the flavors. Thought I was going to be indifferent at best to this, but the more I try the better it gets.
~Travis

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby chaissac1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:01 am

I bought a tin awhile back because of all the hubbub from everyone here--I guess I'll skip that Samarra I was going to crack, and try out Presby after all this time...

Heck, I'll crack both of 'em. I have a couple empty mason jars
Jim
chaissac1

Postby Trumpetboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:23 am

I really tried to like this blend, given so many positive things have been said about it. To me, there's an element of a really "ashy" drying taste in there that comes out mid- bowl that makes me simply put the pipe down. There are so many better blends of this type out there....
Trumpetboy

Postby Falconeer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:44 am

I only got round to trying this tobacco late in life; I can only say I wish I had tried it earlier. I found when I opened the tin the initial smell was offputting, but when I lit up what a fascinating tobacco I found this. Taken slowly and savoured sudden notes of sweetness and then hints of lemon/lime pop up unexpectedly. I'm sold completely,

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby jwh891 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 am

This was the second or third tin of tobacco I ever bought. The only two other tins I had ever smoked were Epiphany and Dunhill My Mix 965. The tin smell was way more intense than the other two. Similar to 965 but a little more musky. The room note is strong and I have since been regulated to the porch for this one by She Who Commands.

The taste is smooth and still leathery and very sour. Touch of saltiness, reminds me of a Scotch that is heavy on the peat. Burns well for me and I found it was pretty useful for making some cake in a new briar.

This is one of my favorite tobaccos, not sure if it is because it was the third tin I ever bought and had no prior experience or what, but it is in my regular rotation now.
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby bearded1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Had a bowl of this yesterday. This tobacco really needs a windless day or an indoor arena to fully enjoy. I find it too subtle for distractions of any kind really. I like the cut of the tobacco, I like the smell of the tobacco both in the tin and lit. I do find it to be stubborn on the initial light, but seems to get better as the tin has some air time. Wonderful flavors, both subtle and nuanced weave in and out...there really is a lot going on here if your keen to find it.

Recommended. I've a few measly bowls left, time to go move it up the re-stock list.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby nesta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 pm

I've smoked through about half a tin since I first got it in July or August. I'm smoking a bowl now. I really enjoy it, and while there is some debate still as to whether or not it contains any latakia (it no longers claims to but old tin descriptions include it) I find the point irrelevant.

It's a wonderful blend, very Oriental forward (something I usually really like) and I have a hard time believing that many people who enjoy English blends will dislike it. The VA offers just barely enough sweetness to really keep it well balanced. It's rich, slightly leathery, slightly smokey, deep and mellow without the in-your-face quality some latakia blends have. I would recommend it to anyone who likes English or Oriental blends. I will definitely buy more when I'm done with what I have.
nesta

Postby aquaholic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Gonna have to pick up another tin of this. I bought a tin back in January, smoked a bowl (I remember liking it btw) and put it in a jar. Went to get it out of the cellar yesterday and it was covered in mold. White stringy spiderwebs all through it, smelled like cat piss (strong ammonia odor), not sure what happened there but apparently that jar shouldn't have passed the sanitation inspection :? . Spent a good part of today going through the cellar looking in jars (wife thinks I'm batshit crazy I'm sure :lol: ) but that seems to be the only victim, thank goodness!

Damn shame really, that's the first tobacco I've ever had to bin, kinda hurts :lol:
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby calipuffer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 pm

aquaholic wrote:...put it in a jar. Went to get it out of the cellar yesterday and it was covered in mold.

This scares the crap out of me. I JUST transferred a bunch of tobacco from plastic bags into mason jars. My wife commented that does the air space cause problems, and I said "no, this is what the pipe guys do with tobacco."

:( So now I'm really not sure if I did the right thing?? I have had some light mold on cigars previously (a fine white mold) but nothing like a deep rooted mold... should I put back into plastic baggies and remove as much air as possible? I don't forsee using up my tobacco reserves for some time, and it would be such a wasteful loss. :(
calipuffer

Postby TxChef77 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:04 am

calipuffer wrote:
aquaholic wrote:...put it in a jar. Went to get it out of the cellar yesterday and it was covered in mold.

This scares the crap out of me. I JUST transferred a bunch of tobacco from plastic bags into mason jars. My wife commented that does the air space cause problems, and I said "no, this is what the pipe guys do with tobacco."

:( So now I'm really not sure if I did the right thing?? I have had some light mold on cigars previously (a fine white mold) but nothing like a deep rooted mold... should I put back into plastic baggies and remove as much air as possible? I don't forsee using up my tobacco reserves for some time, and it would be such a wasteful loss. :(

My guess is that no you are fine. I think aquaholic just had a fluke with this happening. I haven't had any issue with storing mine for the last 6 months or so and most people have had them stored in mason jars for much much longer. As long as it was clean and dry and you store it somewhere out of direct light and at a moderate temp you should be fine 99% of the time as far as I know.
~Travis

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:21 am

wash your jars in the dishwasher between blends, you'll be fine 98% of the time
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby aquaholic » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 am

cakeanddottle wrote:wash your jars in the dishwasher between blends, you'll be fine 98% of the time

Pesky 2% :evil:

TxChef77 wrote:My guess is that no you are fine. I think aquaholic just had a fluke with this happening. I haven't had any issue with storing mine for the last 6 months or so and most people have had them stored in mason jars for much much longer. As long as it was clean and dry and you store it somewhere out of direct light and at a moderate temp you should be fine 99% of the time as far as I know.

Yep he's right, there just musta been somethin bad in that jar I missed. All the rest of my stash is a-okay.

The "fine white mold" you said you got on cigars probably wasn't mold, I'd guess bloom, which is just sugars in the tobacco. You'll know mold when you see/smell it for sure
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby GTPowers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 am

I picked this mixture up on a whim about a year ago. Twelve empty tins later and I'm still a bit lost about it. Love it but it is a very confusing mixture. Contrary to common suggestion, I enjoy this mixture in a smaller bowl. There is where I find more chocolate and leather, less rotten fruit. Mild blend for sure, I've never really felt the nicotine hit. Presbyterian Mixture can be a nose-full with a fresh tin but jarred it evens out. Taste varies from bitter coco to sour fruit. I think I enjoy the think body of the smoke when it's on the sour fruit end of the spectrum. Room note pisses off the wife, I enjoy it in the house regardless. Whoops.

-GT
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - The Man Who was Thursday, 1908
GTPowers

Postby Muddler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 am

Opened my tin earlier in week. An excellent Oriental-forward Va blend. Apparently there is some Lat any it but it's so subdued I could hardly notice it. This stuff has been around forever, so it must have a solid following. Some similarity to Red Rapparree but more muted.

Personally, I prefer Embarcadero & Tudor Castle.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby calipuffer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Transferred the tin to a jar a few days ago. Smoke a gravity pack only bowl. The room note was off-putting to my family so this one will not get me anyone to chat with outside. On the palate for me I found it very mild. More to come, but first impression is on a totally different scale than with HOTW.
calipuffer

Postby nesta » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:50 pm

aquaholic wrote:The "fine white mold" you said you got on cigars probably wasn't mold, I'd guess bloom, which is just sugars in the tobacco. You'll know mold when you see/smell it for sure

You mean I threw away an entire box of Opus X for nothing?? :o

;)
nesta

Postby aquaholic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:22 pm

nesta wrote:You mean I threw away an entire box of Opus X for nothing?? :o

;)

:lol: , I'd smoke those even if they were covered in mold! :D
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic