Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Nov: DUNHILL Nightcap

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Strongly Encourage
35%
Encourage
42%
Neutral
23%
Discourage
No votes
Strongly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 31

Re: Nov: DUNHILL Nightcap

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Wilke No. 400 is medium-full to my palate and I don't detect the nicotine when I smoke it. It is good, I have inconsistent experiences with it and it didn't wow me more often than it did. Any of the Hermit blends packs more flavor and nic IMO.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby jwh891 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:28 am

I've smoked about half of this tin and I think I am going to have to rate it recommend. I like it enough to keep a tin on hand, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it in regular rotation.
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby jpberg » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 am

cakeanddottle wrote:Wilke No. 400 is medium-full to my palate and I don't detect the nicotine when I smoke it. It is good, I have inconsistent experiences with it and it didn't wow me more often than it did. Any of the Hermit blends packs more flavor and nic IMO.

As a rule, nicotine in pipe tobacco escapes me, twenty some years of Copenhagen will do that.

I can understand the inconsistencies that you describe, when it's green, one condiment can easily skew the blend, but after mellowing for a couple of years the perique kicks up and the latakia smooths out and then it's, to me, what my somewhat faded and jaded memory of Murrays NC was.

I really don't follow where any Hermit blends come into a Nightcap conversation.
jpberg

Postby cakeanddottle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

jpberg wrote:
cakeanddottle wrote:Wilke No. 400 is medium-full to my palate and I don't detect the nicotine when I smoke it. It is good, I have inconsistent experiences with it and it didn't wow me more often than it did. Any of the Hermit blends packs more flavor and nic IMO.

I really don't follow where any Hermit blends come into a Nightcap conversation.

No more than the 3 or 4 posts that preceded mine that discussed Wilke No. 400, started by you in fact, which is what I was replying to. Follow the conversation ;)
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby Emil » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:30 am

I have had many wonderful bowls of Nightcap, both the old and new one.
This being said, I nowadays find it a bit too "much". Also I seem to have an ever decreasing tolerance of Perique, which makes Nightcap a blend which I dont buy often any more.
I agree that heavy Lat blends like this one taste fantastic in cold dry weather though!

Emil
Emil

Postby Countryman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 pm

This one is growing on me and in a good way too,love the stuff. :D .
Find a quiet spot,sit down and light your pipe whilst the madness of the modern world rushes by.See the shapes of things,their colours lights and shades and simply be at one with yourself and your surroundings.Love life.
Countryman

Postby ragefather » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:08 pm

I love it too and I can't figure out why. Nothing remarkable about it and I think that's why. Its good at what it does.
ragefather

Postby Deimitori » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Nightcap is such a great pipe tobacco!
Deimitori

Postby 4nogginsmike » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:08 pm

I love the strength, but it is the full latakia set against a backdrop of complexity that I really enjoy. ****
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:25 pm

I think Nightcap is one of the great tobacco blends, with or without latakia.

Latakia is a curious weed, so much controversy, year after year. Though I give you that it is different due to the smoke and herbed wood, I find it delicious! There's strong latakia and latakia as condiment, both yielding a very different, and lovable, smoke.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby SanJu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:04 am

The nightcap and the 965 are two blends I love. I discovered the nightcap in Barcelona, in the dutyfree area. I bought it for curiosity and I won. Since, I never had so many luck than this glory day ! Thanks Dunhill. :D
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Gustav Jung
SanJu

Previous

Return to Tobacco Of The Month