Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Dec: McClellands Christmas Cheer 2011

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Highly Recommend
56%
Recommend
22%
Neutral
22%
Discourage
No votes
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 9

Dec: McClellands Christmas Cheer 2011

Postby ewlewis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:46 am

Alright guys, can you believe it is already December. Anyway I cracked this tin about a week ago and I just now think I figured my preferred smoking method. Now I can get into what I like about it. Happy puffing and I hope we get a lot of feed back. Also, given the limited availability any discussion on the series (not just this years vintage) is welcome.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Re: Dec: McClellands Christmas Cheer 2011

Postby jwh891 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 am

I plan on cracking my tin and having my first smoke tomorrow. I have been really looking forward to this for a couple of months now :D
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby jwh891 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:41 am

I am on my second bowl of this tobacco right now and I must say I love it. I am partial to Virgina's and Virgina blends and I have to say this is one of my favorite. Something sweet and spicy about it, without the mouth tingling spiciness one associates with a Virgina Perique blend.

I do smell the ketchup whiff in the tin (only realized that was what I smelled after reading another post today) but I find that appetizing as I tend to put ketchup on most everything 8-)
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby Muddler » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:56 am

I had my first bowl of it yesterday. This is as good as McClelland Va gets! Outstanding! Probably the best CC I've tried.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby TxChef77 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:38 pm

I will preface this with I am much more of a burley than a virginia smoker and I have only smoked 1 bowl of this so far, but I'm not sure this is my cup of tea. It was ok, but in no way was it something that I really found enjoyable. I will give it at least 2 more tries before giving a recommendation on it though.

Any recommendations on how to pull the best out of this blend?
~Travis

"I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you." - Anthony Bourdain

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ewlewis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:13 pm

i have come to enjoy drying this blend out completely and then rubbing it out. To me this provides the best smoke. When I roll out I stll leave it chunky in order to retain some of that slow burn rate.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby TxChef77 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Take 2 went worse than take 1. LOL I let it dry out a good deal, then rubbed it out sort of chunky as suggested. It certainly burned better, but was still not a fan of the flavor. The GF has also decreed this one to be an outdoor smoke as she is not a fan of the aroma at all. I have another bowl set out to dry at the moment. I am going to either try cubing it up or rubbing it out fully to get as fine a thread as I can. My first go round was just rubbing it out well but straight from the tin, so I have tried that as well.
~Travis

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Wawalsh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:10 pm

I purchased three tins of this tobacco a few months back and enjoyed the first bowl so much I ordered ten more to cellar. i recently opened a new tin and decided to coarsely rub out the entire tin. I don't know if it was that or the couple of extra moths of maturation but this tin is fabulous. I don't let it dry out more than 10 minutes and load it as a medium rub out. This could easily be an everyday smoke for me. Puff easy or it could burn hot.
Love this stuff.
Wawalsh

Postby TxChef77 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Had try 3 last night. It burned almost picture perfect cubing it up, but still was a very meh tobacco for me flavor wise.

TOBACCO HAS BEEN TRADED - If anyone out there is interested in a trade for the remainder of my tin (100g minus 3 bowls) let me know.
~Travis

Tobacco Cellar
TxChef77
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby BrCuthbert » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:51 am

I'm a relative new comer to VA blends. But I have to say I was disappointed by this blend. It has a full VA flavor but none of the sweetness that is touted on the label or that I have come to expect from aged VA. Since it says the tobacco in the 2011 blend was harvested in 2007, I guess I was expecting a little more of the sweetness to come through. I do like its long burning characteristic a small bowl can last me for 30 min or so. Not one to be easily shaken, I bought another tin to put in the cellar for 3-4 years to see if it improves.

Cheers,

Br. Cuthbert
"When you pray with this pipe, you pray for everything in the universe,
and everything in the universe prays with you." -Black Elk, Holy Man of the Oglalas
BrCuthbert

Postby SmokinFool » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:33 pm

BrCuthbert wrote:I'm a relative new comer to VA blends. But I have to say I was disappointed by this blend. It has a full VA flavor but none of the sweetness that is touted on the label or that I have come to expect from aged VA. Since it says the tobacco in the 2011 blend was harvested in 2007, I guess I was expecting a little more of the sweetness to come through. I do like its long burning characteristic a small bowl can last me for 30 min or so. Not one to be easily shaken, I bought another tin to put in the cellar for 3-4 years to see if it improves.

Cheers,

Br. Cuthbert

You've got the right idea, aging it a bit. I bought a couple tins of CC 2011, but they went directly into the cellar. I am currently smoking through a tin of 2007 vintage, and it's fantastic, at least to me. Aging it does make for a sweeter flavor.
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby RobD » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:00 am

[quote="Muddler"]I had my first bowl of it yesterday. This is as good as McClelland Va gets! Outstanding! Probably the best CC I've tried.[/quote]

My favorites have been 1994, 1997 and 2001. I have almost a complete date set of CC. Love it. Always have a tin open. Years ago, when I found a tobacco I liked I bought a few tins, smoked one and put the rest away. When I needed a tin to open, I opened the newer stuff. Now, nearing 70, I'm working from the oldest tins forward. I have "enough to last." Loving' it!!

RobD
RobD

Return to Tobacco Of The Month