Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Feb: C&D Cordial

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In context of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Highly encourage
75%
Encourage
25%
Neutral
No votes
Discourage
No votes
Highly Discourage
No votes

Total votes : 4

Feb: C&D Cordial

Postby ewlewis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:38 am

Sorry about getting this out so late but life has got really busy. I hope you all enjoy this blend.

I also want to note that we need a volunteer to keep this series going for the rest of this cycle. I am not participating this time around and may forget to keep it going. I will come back in April and start the thread to get the next quarter going.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Re: Feb: C&D Cordial

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 am

Looks like I'm smoking Cordial tomorrow :D
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby cakeanddottle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 am

Cordial doesn't have any Perique in it, but it smokes a little like a Lat blend that does. It has that spicy sweet fermented fruit smell and taste. It's a lovely note. It's Va, Oriental, Latakia and Cavendish, in a blend intended to recreate Dunhill's Aperitif. I haven't smoked Aperitif, but I have smoked Park Lane's interpretation, and Cordial is much fuller and tastier.

The tobacco is about 2/3 black and 1/3 dark brown, in a characteristically C&D/GLP dense, dry, coarse cut. Bag smell is big, fruity, dark. In the pipe I find it medium-full with the accent on sweet, spicy and sour. It's definitely not an English blend, and while it isn't exactly a Balkan either it bears more resemblance to that side of the tracks. This isn't smoky or leathery in the way a straight English would be. Ashton Artisan's Blend and this one bear some resemblance to one another.

I do like this one better in a narrower chamber, as it seems to tighten up the presentation and focus all those flavors. In a 13/16 or bigger bore the individual elements are less, well, individual, and the whole thing turns into one big spicy-sweet curry. Still delicious, but in a smaller or conical bore this one shows consistent flashes of brilliance, allowing defined sweet and sour notes to reach the bit of your pipe.

Cordial is one of my favorites. It doesn't show the refinement or sheer brilliance of Odyssey or Westminster, but they're like fine dining. Cordial is that cheap Indian joint you go to for lunch that you miss if you don't hit it regularly. Variety, big flavors, tasty, filling and cheap. Cordial is a very extraordinary tobacco at the low asking price. There's an awful lot to like here.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby Cptaz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Good review, Mike. Thanks for kicking things off. I enjoyed your review on TR.com, too. I'm gonna spend some more time with it before I share my thoughts, but it's rapidly growing on me, and I also discovered that a smaller and/or tapered bowl is Cordial's preferred vessel for combustion.
-Chris
Cptaz

Postby cakeanddottle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

I discovered C&D Super Balkan and Cordial within a short amount of time of each other. Before that, I hadn't really cared for the C&D Lat blends I'd smoked, and thanked my lucky stars that Greg Pease was making such magic from that stock. SOTE, Mountain Camp, Byzantium and Pirate Kake all left me fairly cold, at least with all the other great blends out there. Super Balkan and Cordial changed that. Aside from being a great value, both are excellent tobaccos. I should add Red Odessa to that list, but I don't really think of that one as a Lat blend, it always makes me think Three Friars with added Latakia.

In any event, C&D just had to raise their bulk prices again. There is no better time than the present to stock up on C&D bulks, before the vendors update their pricing. lilbrown has the good deal on Cordial during February, and pipesandcigars is doing 15% off all C&D during May. I've had that one marked on my calendar since December and plan on buying a lifetime supply of a couple C&D blends.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby Cptaz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Good to know on prices, thanks Mike. I've read your review of Red Odessa on your blog and that sounds right up my alley. It also sounds a lot like how I would describe Chelsea Morning, which I love. Have you tried it?
-Chris
Cptaz

Postby cakeanddottle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 pm

no not yet, I'm still making my way through the fuller Pease fare
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby Cptaz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Well, let's see how this goes. I take extensive notes, but have never tried putting it into narrative, which should help to explain the wordiness. :? Anywho...

A nice coarse ribbon cut of light brown to black tobacco. In the jar, I smell more leather/latakia than I can account for in the smoke, and, I almost want to say a bit of overripe banana…I know, weird. No drying is required for an easy pack, light and a nice, even burn. In fact, outside of OTCs, this is one of the most consistently easy-to-smoke mixtures I have come across.

My first couple of smokes were unremarkable. Good enough, but lacking complexity. Some more time spent with it led me to the same conclusion as Mike, that it wants a smaller bore.

To my tastes, there’s a nice base of VAs and orientals, providing a sweetness that reminds me of cooked cherries, port wine, and, at times, a bit of citrus. I cannot detect the Cavendish directly, but imagine this is contributing to the sweetness, and may be partially what Mike is getting at with the perique reference (or not, but that was my take). The latakia comes to the front from time to time, never dominating, but sometimes with a bit more bitterness than I care for in the sidestream.

It’s a forgiving mixture: puffed heavily, it puts more of an edge on the latakia for me, but it never bites and always leaves the bottom of my bowls dry. Sipped, and everything seems to come together. I hadn’t really considered it until now, but the name may be a reference to those tasty little cherry cordials that so many women received yesterday, not the after-dinner drink. Between the cherry, the port and maybe even a bit of chocolate just on this side of creamy, I can get behind that idea.

Cordial doesn’t blow my mind, but it’s consistently tasty, and considering how easy it is to smoke (and pay for), I plan on putting some of this in my cellar. I am quite sure that a little age will knock off some of the hard edges, and if the VAs develop in sweetness, even better. It’s a little something different, but similar, than what I am used to, and I like it. Give it a shot.
-Chris
Cptaz

Postby cakeanddottle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 pm

good call on that citrus note, I hadn't put my finger on it but I think you're right there
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Return to Tobacco Of The Month