Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

March: C&D Three Friars

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In the context of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Highly encourage
29%
Encourage
29%
Neutral
No votes
Discourage
14%
Strongly discourage
29%

Total votes : 7

March: C&D Three Friars

Postby Cptaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm

For March, we have C&D's Three Friars, a mixture of ribbon cut VA, burley and perique. I've been getting my first tastes over the last couple of days and first impressions are quite positive. Let's hear what you think of this one!
-Chris
Cptaz

Re: March: C&D Three Friars

Postby ragefather » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 am

The aroma out of the jar is very pleasant and somewhat tart.

This one seems quite spicy to me. Not in a bad way, but definitely a burn in the nostrils when blowing out the nose. A good amount of spice on the tongue, but no lingering burn. I've been enjoying this blend for a while (I bought 8oz about 8 months ago), but tonight was the first time smoking it in the cold. To me it was a meaty smoke but seems somewhat one dimensional. I'm not good at picking out specific flavors so I'll end this here.
ragefather

Postby bearded1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am

This is one I wish I'd gotten to try...how does it relate to OJK?
-Paul
bearded1

Postby Cptaz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 am

Similar flavor profiles, Paul, but they come at you differently. I need to spend some more time with it before making too many judgements, but for now, I would say that Three Friars leans more heavily on the VA than OJK. On first blush, I might say it's a VaPer with a bit of burley to round it out. Much more subtle than OJK.
-Chris
Cptaz

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

bearded1 wrote:This is one I wish I'd gotten to try...how does it relate to OJK?

I would say that this, HB and OJK are kind of a series. I guess this one and HB are two sides of the same coin, with Three Friars showcasing the Va instead of the Burley.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby bearded1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Cptaz wrote:Similar flavor profiles, Paul, but they come at you differently. I need to spend some more time with it before making too many judgements, but for now, I would say that Three Friars leans more heavily on the VA than OJK. On first blush, I might say it's a VaPer with a bit of burley to round it out. Much more subtle than OJK.

Sounds like a key fit in that series. I'd bet a pound of this and OJK would be sure to satisy whatever itch I had at the moment. Summer is coming and my burley cellar is woefully inadequate.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby Hermit » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 am

cakeanddottle wrote:
bearded1 wrote:This is one I wish I'd gotten to try...how does it relate to OJK?

I would say that this, HB and OJK are kind of a series. I guess this one and HB are two sides of the same coin, with Three Friars showcasing the Va instead of the Burley.

Yeah, I think of those three as siblings.
I really love OJK, but I think I like
Three Friars best of the three, prolly
'cause I like Virginia more than Burley.
I think OJK has more Perique than TF
and HB has less and is mostly burley.
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby CaptainD » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm having a hard time finding C&D Three Friars... Where can I get it online?

Thanks,

Shane
CaptainD

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm

What kind of world do we live in where this tobacco gets 2 "strongly discourage"s on T&P?
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby Cptaz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:What kind of world do we live in where this tobacco gets 2 "strongly discourage"s on T&P?

:D I thought it more odd that those ratings were given without comment. Fess up! ;) I'm having a hard time getting acquainted with this one, which is why I haven't reviewed or rated yet. I've had a handful of really tasty smokes, but it's been pretty inconsistent for me.

Captain, I got mine from 4noggins, or you could just get it direct from C&D.
-Chris
Cptaz

Postby CaptainD » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks
CaptainD

Postby ChuckMac » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Three Friars is funny stuff. In some bowls the perique makes itself known and in others seems totally absent. Sometimes it comes across with a harsh edge to it but other bowls are almost smooth. Sometimes I love it and other times I hate it.
It's not due to not being thoroughly mixed either. Put an ounce of it into a bowl and mix hell out of it. Jar that ounce and 24 hours later mix it again and then just for the hell of it mix it some more and the inconsistencies still show up. Just like Chris says. Inconsistent. I'll not be getting more of it. I don't like those kinds of surprises. A man should be able to rely on his tobacco not to shit on him at the end of a tough day.

Maybe with 15 years age on it the stuff might settle down into a good smoke. Tuggle Hall, Pirate Kake, Orient Express and Exclusive all settle down nicely and I suspect that Three Friars will too.
Last edited by ChuckMac on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby Cptaz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Well i've given this one a few more runs in various pipes. At its best, there is a great honeyed oats kind of sweetness that sometimes approaches creaminess. It always burns easily and consistently without much effort. I just can't recommend it for the inconsistency in flavor. I'm with Chuck, I don't want that kind of surprise, either. I noticed the here today gone tomorrow perique, too, and some bowls just taste...flat.

I'll give this another go in six months or so in hopes that some time will bring it together. As a young batch, though, I marked "discourage."
-Chris
Cptaz

Postby Falconeer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:18 pm

This one was always punted as being the nearest equivalent to the original Three Nuns that you could get.

One of my hill walking heroes A. Wainwright would smoke nothing else other than Three Nuns and often mentions smoking a pipe of it while awaiting the dawn atop a Lakeland Fell. That said I could never get along with Three Nuns - I decided in th end that I was basically allergic to Perique.

From you guys comments so far I'd say this does indeed merit being called the equivalent to Three Nuns.

A great tobacco if you can hack it

Happy smoking whatever

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Return to Tobacco Of The Month