Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

May: Brown Bogie

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

In terms of recommending to others, how would you rate this blend?

Highly Encourage
9
64%
Encourage
4
29%
Neutral
1
7%
Discourage
0
No votes
Highly Discourage
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 14

May: Brown Bogie

Postby ewlewis » Mon May 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Here all go, sorry so late, but lets make up for lost time
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
User avatar
ewlewis
Moderator
 
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby englanddave » Mon May 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Excellent choice A+++++ for this one
Regards Dave
Dave

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb
User avatar
englanddave
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: sunny cornwall. uk

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby bearded1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm

This rope is right in my wheelhouse! Strong, earthy, some cigar-like qualities, many different ways to prepare.

This needs some age on it IMO...and some drying time, or it's a bitch to get burning proper. I have taken to shaving off thin (THIN) shaving and rubbing out completely. Turns out like a shag cut and seems to take to the flame much better this way. A bit thicker coins, then cube cut delivers some great flavors and makes for a longer smoke. It has strength on it's side. I'd say it's relatively similar to Irish Flake & Dark Flake Unscented. The smell of the rope is intoxicating!

I bought a 500g spool a year or so ago and split it up into a bunch of jars. It is a pleasure to see those waiting for me patiently in my cellar.
-Paul
User avatar
bearded1
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:32 am

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby RompinDonkey » Mon May 07, 2012 6:19 pm

bearded1 wrote:This rope is right in my wheelhouse! Strong, earthy, some cigar-like qualities, many different ways to prepare.

This needs some age on it IMO...and some drying time, or it's a bitch to get burning proper. I have taken to shaving off thin (THIN) shaving and rubbing out completely. Turns out like a shag cut and seems to take to the flame much better this way. A bit thicker coins, then cube cut delivers some great flavors and makes for a longer smoke. It has strength on it's side. I'd say it's relatively similar to Irish Flake & Dark Flake Unscented. The smell of the rope is intoxicating!

I bought a 500g spool a year or so ago and split it up into a bunch of jars. It is a pleasure to see those waiting for me patiently in my cellar.


That about sums up my feeling for this blend. I greatly enjoyed pulling that nail out of the coil!

I'll have another bowl soon and make some notes to post here.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
User avatar
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Coventry & Stoke on Trent, England

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby bearded1 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:50 pm

RompinDonkey wrote: I greatly enjoyed pulling that nail out of the coil!


Me too! I still have it too (for some reason).
-Paul
User avatar
bearded1
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:32 am

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby ChuckMac » Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:
bearded1 wrote:This rope is right in my wheelhouse! Strong, earthy, some cigar-like qualities, many different ways to prepare.

This needs some age on it IMO...and some drying time, or it's a bitch to get burning proper. I have taken to shaving off thin (THIN) shaving and rubbing out completely. Turns out like a shag cut and seems to take to the flame much better this way. A bit thicker coins, then cube cut delivers some great flavors and makes for a longer smoke. It has strength on it's side. I'd say it's relatively similar to Irish Flake & Dark Flake Unscented. The smell of the rope is intoxicating!

I bought a 500g spool a year or so ago and split it up into a bunch of jars. It is a pleasure to see those waiting for me patiently in my cellar.


That about sums up my feeling for this blend. I greatly enjoyed pulling that nail out of the coil!

I'll have another bowl soon and make some notes to post here.


The Brown (Happy) Bogie is a fave here too along with Sweet Rum Twist.
___________________________________________________________
Former Seabee. Served in NMCB5 & NMCB3 1970-74. Home ported Port Hueneme Calif. Construimus, Batuimus - "We Build, We Fight."

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
User avatar
ChuckMac
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby Smitty » Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 pm

This is one of my faves. You can't beat the strong pure tobacco taste of this. Satisfying nic hit too but not overpowering imo. I get many compliments on the room note as well.

I only have a little left of this so I've been trying to savour it. Gonna have to order more asap.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
User avatar
Smitty
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 am
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby TigerJack » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 am

Hi guys, Sorry, I am a bit late here on the thread, I have been a bit under the weather as of late. Anyway Bogie, This will go in the list along with only a very few tobaccos as one of my favorites, along side 5 brothers G&H Black & Brown Irish twists. This tobacco has the strength I like & flavor , I just love the tobacco , there isn't anyway for me to describe it to you any better than, "a good stout full smoke" 5 STAR all the way.
Last edited by TigerJack on Thu May 10, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
User avatar
TigerJack
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby winston » Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

How does this compare to Brown Rope #4 from SG? I've only had Brown Rope #4 and G&H Coconut Twist , which both of I Love.
winston
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby Dodger » Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm

The bb arrived today and so far I have only smoked 1 bowl .My first impression is that it is a very pleasant smoke ,but there is nothing in it saying I must buy more .Before any body gets upset ,I will not be marking it until I have finished the 25g bought .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 6829
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby Dodger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Dodger wrote:The bb arrived today and so far I have only smoked 1 bowl .My first impression is that it is a very pleasant smoke ,but there is nothing in it saying I must buy more .Before any body gets upset ,I will not be marking it until I have finished the 25g bought .

My first impressions stayed with me ,I may buy more but probably not ,as there better (to me) blends out there.But I would encourage people to try it ,although it is not for me .

Dodger
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 6829
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby cakeanddottle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:13 pm

I have to offer a dissenting point of view. I voted neutral.

These dark, strong fire cured tobaccos leave me sort of cold. Deep, rustic, earthy, robust. Often cigar-like notes. I have an incredible nicotine tolerance, between being a lifelong oral snuff and now nasal snuff user, so I'm not put off by the nicotine.

I think, for me, the reason I don't get excited about these tobaccos is that smoking a pipe is about flavor as much as it is about nicotine. I can't hold simplicity against these, because Burleys aren't terribly deep and I love Burleys. I suppose I just find the predominant note offered by Brown Bogie and similar tobaccos just isn't a note I find particularly compelling. Good tobacco and my opinion may very well change on it as it has with other tobaccos.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
Image
User avatar
cakeanddottle
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Red Oak, IA

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby bearded1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:58 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:I have to offer a dissenting point of view. I voted neutral.

These dark, strong fire cured tobaccos leave me sort of cold. Deep, rustic, earthy, robust. Often cigar-like notes. I have an incredible nicotine tolerance, between being a lifelong oral snuff and now nasal snuff user, so I'm not put off by the nicotine.

I think, for me, the reason I don't get excited about these tobaccos is that smoking a pipe is about flavor as much as it is about nicotine. I can't hold simplicity against these, because Burleys aren't terribly deep and I love Burleys. I suppose I just find the predominant note offered by Brown Bogie and similar tobaccos just isn't a note I find particularly compelling. Good tobacco and my opinion may very well change on it as it has with other tobaccos.


This is a totally valid opinion, and in my experience, right on the money...I differ however, in that I find them brilliant in their consistancy, and intoxicating in their deep earthiness. I love the bit of harshness that they bring to the table.

The similarities in descriptions yet polarization in tastes really stands out to me that tastes differ and there is no right or wrong here.
-Paul
User avatar
bearded1
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:32 am

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby Gearhead43 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 am

I love fire cured tobaccos. IMO they deliver where it counts most - in the flavor department. Too many times I've bought some Virginia flake or blend only to wonder where the flavor is, no matter how gently I puff etc. I really like dark leaf tobaccos and I'll take flavor over "complexity" any day. I have noticed that higher nicotine blends seem to have a fullness of body to the smoke also, almost a creamy mouthfeel.

I understand the strong ropes aren't for everyone though, we are all looking for different things of course. Not everyone likes being wacked over the head the way these ropes can.
User avatar
Gearhead43
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: May: Brown Bogie

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Granted Brown rope is not complex, but I love tobacco both in pipes and cigars that hit one one note and do so incredibly well, and in my mind the Bogie does so: somewhat dark, substantial, making me think of the solidity of woods.

And I also love the unapologetic Gawiths approach to securing the coil, that nail, apparently new when inserted, rusted from the moisture of the tobacco. I don't think rust is smokeable, and I come up even on whether a batch with the rust smokes any better than that without. Nonetheless that's the first part I smoke, in celebration, like downing the well-preserved worm in Mezcal.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:08 pm
Location: Piedmont, North Carolina, USA


Return to Tobacco Of The Month

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron