Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

TOTM August 2012: GLP Sextant

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

Re: TOTM August 2012: GLP Sextant

Postby PipeWife » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 pm

I'd like to thank everyone who posted up their impressions of this blend. I got hubby a tin of it last week, and he is VERY pleased with it.
101st ABN (AASLT) Div - 501st SIG BN '99-'04, OIF1
PipeWife blog ~ S&G Homesteade blog, our new 2-1/2 acre adventure
PipeWife

Postby Dodger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 pm

While this is a well rounded blend and well worth trying I found the rum topping to be too light .This is to be expected from me as I prefer dark rum as opposed to light ,so Sam Gawith Navy Flake remains top of my rum list .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 pm

heh, I also like SG navy flake well enough to have bought a kilo of it.

I recently tried some sextant and think it's good too, but will stick with the SG.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby englanddave » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17 am

Reported
Dave

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb
englanddave
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:42 am

A bit late to the game here, but this became one of my top favourite blends, and it practically did so on the first bowl, if only because I just happened to match the tobacco to the right pipe on the first go. (This pipe, which I've had for 25+ years, has now become dedicated to Sextant. It's formed such a strong a psychological association that I can't imagine anything else in it, even after all these years.) I even captured that first bowl live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUbZ_ ... DyBrbRk1u4

We tend to label blends with multiple things going on either as 'complex' or as 'can't make its mind what it wants to be.' This blend is complex, but just. I don't agree with earlier comments that the latakia is muted. To me it's very strong (though not a bomb) and plays leapfrog with the rum, both of them vying for dominance which is what engineers the complexity.

Have probably smoked ten tins of this over the past year.
KevinP

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Muddler, a fine review! I haven't smoked this yet, and given the number of tobaccos clamoring for my attention, it may be awhile; but this is Greg Pease tobacco, and to my view now, that is it's best recommendation. Of the many toppings, alcohol is one that I favor, but tonquin is my favorite, so very complex and wonderful in its odd way.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Previous

Return to Tobacco Of The Month