Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Poll: Reboot TOTM?

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

Should we restart TOTM?

Yes - I will mostly participate
45%
Yes - I will mostly spectate
35%
No
5%
Maybe another time
15%

Total votes : 20

Poll: Reboot TOTM?

Postby ragefather » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:51 pm

It seemed like some people wanted to get this started again, but it really got no momentum. With Spring here (more so in some places than others), I am going to grab the bull by the horns and try to get this started again. If I'm stepping on someones toes, please let me know and feel free to take this over.

Before we figure out what tobacco to do for April, we should find out what the participation level will be and if it is even worth it. If there is enough participation, we can take a poll for the TOTM - April.

Anyone have a better idea?
ragefather

Re: Poll: Reboot TOTM?

Postby ratatosk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm in!
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 pm

:oops: :oops: I've never been real clear on how TOTM works :oops: :oops:
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 pm

If I can get the TOTM in the UK then I will participate
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 pm

I would assume that candidate blends would be limited to those that are distributed globally and are not in a perpetual state of shortage. I'm not necessarily opposed to having to import something like Condor myself, but a lot of people probably aren't that interested in going to the trouble, so I'd guess Dunhill, Peterson, etc. would be the better choices versus St. Bruno and Penzance.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ewlewis » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 am

IN the past TOTM was essentially picking a tobacco that all participants agree to test that month and post their opinion. It was also found to pick the tobacco's to be smoked quarterly. In this fashion you only have to make 4 purchases all year long, instead of monthly ones. We have done anything from a blender tour, a style or ingredient tour, American OTC tour, or just random picks for each month. Hope you guys get this going and have fun.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 am

I'm in. I hope you're in EW. :)

Edit: On second thought I'm out. I have too much tobacco to smoke as it is.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ragefather » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 am

Dodger wrote:If I can get the TOTM in the UK then I will participate

I think the first couple moths should be blends that are already in a lot of our cellars so a lot of people dont have to buy, and have the opportunity to participate. Going forward it should definitely be global blends that everyone has an opportunity to buy. Of course if we have a super generous person who wants to send samples of hard to find tobaccos to everyone, I don't think anyone will object :D
ragefather

Postby ragefather » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 am

HowlinWolf wrote::oops: :oops: I've never been real clear on how TOTM works :oops: :oops:

In general it's a specific tobacco that participants try to smoke throughout the month and give a review, impression, opinion, etc. It's just something to spur conversation about a specific tobacco. And if you look back at the previous months, there's a lot of good archival information there.
ragefather

Postby highstump » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I am one of the spectators in the poll. I enjoy reading of other folks experience with various tobaccos but don't necessarily want to commit to the prospect of buying a tin of something each month.
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby aquaholic » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 pm

highstump wrote:I am one of the spectators in the poll. I enjoy reading of other folks experience with various tobaccos but don't necessarily want to commit to the prospect of buying a tin of something each month.

Ditto for me. When I first picked up the pipe the TOTM threads were in full swing, it was an invaluable tool in helping me find the tobacco's I liked. I feel like I've found a lot of favorite blends now that I cellar and I'm not really looking to pick up too many new ones. I do, however, enjoy reading others take's on various tobacco's.
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby briandevlin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 am

Let's get this going :):):)
briandevlin

Postby ragefather » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 pm

While 80% of the respondents said we should start this up again, that is only eight people, four of which want to only spectate. It is possible that more people will participate as we go along, so perhaps we ease back into it. Lets toss around some tobaccos that everyone has in the cellar or can easily acquire. Keeping in mind that global supply of tobacco is different, I think we should stick with something like Dunhill, SG, Peterson, Ashton, Rattray, etc.

Couple blends off the top of my head that haven't been a TOTM that I think could consider:
- Dunhill EMP
- Dunhill My Mixture 965
- Ashton Artisan Blend
- Peterson Perfect Plug
- SG Navy Flake
- SG Commonwealth Mixture

Anyone have something they want to add?
ragefather

Postby briandevlin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:42 am

Dunhill night cap
Solani 633 blend
Lets get the show on the road, well done OP :):):)
briandevlin

Postby Anthorn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:23 pm

yeah count me in so long as I can get the tobacco: In United Kingdom we can only import tobacco by visiting the country and bringing it in ourselves. If we attempt to import it by mail order even from E.U. countries it is seized and allegedly destroyed.

Suggestions:
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake - puts hair on your chest
Robert Lewis Tree Mixture - English Oriental blend, almost Balkan. It doesn't have trees in it
Robert Lewis 123 - Havana leaf said to be like Sobranie No. 10. I don't know, I never smoked Sobranie No 10
Favourite tobacco: Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Kendal Brown Twist (Sliced Brown Bogie), Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, Dunhill My Mixture 965, Ashton Artisan's Blend, Peterson Irish Flake. Most disiked tobacco: Peterson Sunset Breeze, Samuel Gawith Perfection.
Anthorn

Postby jwh891 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:04 am

Kind of sad to come back and see that TOTM had gone by the wayside. I'd love to open it back up.

I like 1792 Flake or Nightcap.

Maybe get a Virginia or lighter blend in so we can have? Either way I just wasn't to see this come back...really helped me build my cellar when I first started smoking :smile:
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Return to Tobacco Of The Month