Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Breaking and Fine Tuning your Falcon

Re: Breaking and Fine Tuning your Falcon

Postby mgtarheel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 am

Gerry
Both of the ones I am looking at have white mouthpieces and the bowls look like the briar is almost black in color. It might be that hard briar that you talked about in an earlier reply. The Falcon with the blue stem has a dark rustic "Genoa" briar bowl and is supposed to have been made in the 1960s. The Shillelagh Falcon has a dark rustic bulldog briar bowl and was supposed to have been made in the early 1970s. Sounds interesting. Mike
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
mgtarheel

Postby Falconeer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:20 am

Agreed 100%. Could well be worth collecting just for their interest value alone - Good Luck!

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby mgtarheel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Well there were 3 of the Falcons on Ebay and I was able to win the Shillelagh Falcon. I think there was one person trying to buy all three. I let you know more when I see it.
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
mgtarheel

Postby Add » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 pm

I got another bowl a few weeks ago (a rustic hyperbole) and I thought I'd try and reduce the fresh falcon bowl nastiness that I'd experienced in the couple before that.

I thoroughly cleaned out the inside of the bowl with a clean kitchen towel soaked in scotch. I kept cleaning until the tissues stopped coming out purple. I guess the purple is the stain and I don't think it tastes very nice.

Anyway, I think this process helped. But one result under non-controlled conditions is hardly a fair test.
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Add

Postby DrT999 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:06 pm

On a lark, I bought a Falcon ('curved' stem, Dover bowl) last month. Parts of this thread were v helpful. A v nice-smoking pipe!
"Life is too short to drink bad wine or smoke bad tobacco."
DrT999

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 am

A lot of great info Falconeer, thanks for posting.
BladeBoy

Postby GordonS » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 am

Hello fellow pipe smokers.
I realize this is a rather old posting, but I do want to thank Falconeer for the great advice.

Just wanted to say hi to other Falcon pipe smokers. I think I'm pretty typical of many of you. During college and my early 20's, I smoked a pipe just because I thought it was sort of cool - thinking about Tolkien and his pipe - how cool is that? But I have to admit, I went through several stages where I'd smoke a pipe for a few years and then stop and then start again etc.

However, several years ago I came across a pipe that I had received after my Dad had passed on. I examined it more closely and saw the name "Falcon". I immediately started doing some reserach via the internet and found this great history of the Falcon pipe. Damn, the internet is great when used correctly!

I ended up buying a Falcon pipe set (stem, 2 bowls, and misc items like cleaners and filters) and loved it. One of the great lovely surprises was that the bowls from the new pipe were perfectly interchangeable with my Dad's pipe, which had to be at least 62 years old!!! Yes, I hate to admit it, but I'm 62 years old now (where did the years go) and I know my Dad had the pipe before I was born. I'll smoke it occasionally and it's great.

Anyhow, I just recieved a new Falcon pipe set yesterday and I went on the internet to refresh my memory on how to break in the pipe and found this site. Ran out today and bought some Prince Albert ( Burley) and I'm going through the very pleasant process again.

Thanks for listening. :)
GordonS

Postby Falconeer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Glad you found it helpful!

Bought my first Falcon in 1968 for the princely sum of 30 shillings in old money £1.50 new money - yup and I'm 63 and like you wondering where the devil all the years went!
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby RompinDonkey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Falconeer wrote:Glad you found it helpful!

Bought my first Falcon in 1968 for the princely sum of 30 shillings in old money £1.50 new money - yup and I'm 63 and like you wondering where the devil all the years went!

.... and what is worse, the older you get, the faster time goes by!

BH we will have been married two years soon, it's nearly a year since we celebrated our first wedding anniversary in Aachen, Germany. Where the heck that year went I simply have no idea. (Great pipe shop in Aachen :) )
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby Unit562 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:26 am

I recently bought a meershaum bowl on ebay.
Are these still in production? If not when did production cease?
Any special care requirements?
Unit562

Postby Falconeer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Welcome. Yes, Greens of Leeds still sell them. Don't know. Little experience of them.
Falconeer

Postby ratatosk » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 pm

I assume that you are talking about the meerschaum-lined bowls and I have a couple of them. The only special care that I give is to wipe them out well with a tissue since there is no point to trying to build cake on meer.

I can't say that I am impressed by these. One had a hairline crack in the meer from the beginning which I decided to ignore and which doesn't cause any problems after nearly a year of use. The other developed a hairline crack in the briar across the rim of the bowl after a couple of months, straight as a ruler and I have no idea of the cause since I never, ever knock a pipe out into anything but my palm. I ignored that too without any problems to date. Aside from these defects, the upside is that there is essentially no break-in required, the downside is that the meer lining takes up some room in what I would consider fairly small bowls.

I won't be buying any more, but they are serviceable and provide a very slightly different experience. Good luck.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Unit562 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm

No, i have a meer bowl, no briar. It is an awesome smoker.
Unit562

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 pm

I'll put my thoughts on my new Falcon here rather than in an acquisitions thread simply because Falconeer is pretty much the definitive word on these pipes and it is proper that his thread be kept up to date.

My father smoked a Falcon, and as a child, its detachable bowl and swirled centre stem fascinated me. This is probably the same pipe he gave to me when he quit smoking. I never smoked it because it seemed in pretty bad shape at the time. I assume he bought it in Leeds around the early 60s and by the time it came to me in the late 80s it had seen a lot of Condor and Erinmore Flake. It's somewhere in the house I just don't know where.

I have never been a heavy pipe smoker. One or two bowls a week. So my two BCs have shouldered my smoking needs for the last 30 years. Lately however, and I blame you lot for this, I have been smoking a few bowls a day, and that probably isn't enough time for 2 pipes to dry out properly. I have a hatred of cobs, and, all things considered, the Falcon is the most practical and inexpensive way of getting the most pipe for the money, so the choice was simple.

My standard straight stem with Dublin bowl cost me AUD$50.50 including postage from Smoke-King in Leeds. (Yes, I enjoy the circularity in this.) To which needs to be added an international transaction fee of AUD$1.52. To put that total in perspective, that is about the price I would pay for a 50g tin of tobacco at my local tobacconist.

After a 2 week wait, and a brief visit to Aussie quarantine in Western Australia, my new Falcon was in my eager hands.

I was a little bit surprised by the appearance of the stem. I was accustomed to the aluminium grey and the shiny chrome like finish took me aback. This looks, feels and even sounds like metalised plastic. Disturbed, I check the enclosed product flyer, which conforms that the stem is all aluminium. There's a part of me that still isn't convinced. Maybe I just need for it to turn grey.

Certain aspects of the Falcon's finish remind us that though this product started as an 'improved' pipe, it has settled into a niche as a budget working man's pipe. Cast marks are clearly visible and even unpleasant to the hand along the stem supports. The mouthpiece is cheap plastic, overly large to my taste, and offset a few degrees in rotation, probably a result of the crimping process attaching it to the aluminium stem. My hands were covered in purple, yes, purple, dye from the bowl for the first half dozen or so smokes. This could easily have ruined a good shirt. The falcon head burnt into the plastic mouthpiece looks and feels cheap and nasty. I don't remember this being on the old Falcons. If any pipe did NOT need further elaboration as to its identity, it is the Falcon. The sheer pointlessness of that logo annoys me.

But these of course are minor disappointments, quibbles even. The pipe itself smokes fine straight off and will only improve with time. Bear in mind that the goop that condenses in the humidome has nothing to prevent it flowing into the stem and from there into your mouth and as has already been mentioned, you can, and probably should, make your own absorbent rings from pipe cleaners.

All in all, very happy.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby William » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:43 pm

JacintoCupboard wrote: ... Lately however, and I blame you lot for this, I have been smoking a few bowls a day ...
Glad we could help and that the Falcon seems to be a good thing for you. I enjoy mine. :D
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Thank you for the kind offer to send me tobacco William. That was what you meant, right? ;)
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby aquaholic » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 pm

JacintoCupboard wrote:Thank you for the kind offer to send me tobacco William. That was what you meant, right? ;)

^^^ I like this guy, he's sharp :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby William » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:05 pm

aquaholic wrote:
JacintoCupboard wrote:Thank you for the kind offer to send me tobacco William. That was what you meant, right? ;)

^^^ I like this guy, he's sharp :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. Me, not so much. I sent some tobacco but forgot to get an address.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby bazaarofsmokey » Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 pm

This is a real treat gerry, and works perfect for me!
bazaarofsmokey

Postby Falconeer » Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks - glad if it helped!

Took out your duplicate post - we are a bit short on Mods sometimes so regretfully new members posts take a wee bit longer than they should to get through...but they do in the end!
Falconeer

Previous

Return to Non-briar pipes