Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Do corncob pipes need to be broken in?

Do corncob pipes need to be broken in?

Postby francism » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Just got my first corncob pipe from c ashtons, smokes fine, but just wondered...

A, should i break it in, and if so how?
B, does the very rough surface, either smooth down, or get softer with time and use?
Attachments
IMAG0078.jpg
IMAG0076.jpg
francism

Re: Do corncob pipes need to be broken in?

Postby jwh891 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:45 pm

A. Cobs don't need any much of a breaking in period. That is one of the nice things about cobs. The first few smokes may taste sweeter and depending on how the shank is built you may burn into that wood at the end of the first few bowls until it becomes charred and a cake is built up.

B. That looks to be a natural finish cob, meaning there is no coating of plaster of pairs or other materials. This makes the cob smoke incredibly cool and dry, just don't smoke it outside in the wind as natural finish will burn out rather quickly. It won't smooth down, although it may change colors. I have had kernels turn black on my cobs. As far as softer, not sure. Haven't smoked a natural finish long enough to find out.
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby francism » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 pm

I don't remember what the shop called it, but it looks a lot like the "Missouri pride corncob pipe"
http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php? ... 269&page=1

Heh, I was smoking it within 5 mins of leaving the shop, then having just missed the bus, was smoking it for an hour outside the bus station, I just hope I did not damage the bowl.

It does have a very dry smoke to it. And stays very cool, Im haveing second thoughts about getting the bent stem, but thats just me.
francism

Postby jwh891 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm sure you didn't. I would imagine that it would have to pretty high winds, I've just heard that due to the porous nature of the cob it is easier to burn out. I've even seen MM Pride's that if you put your hand over the top of the bowl, the ember will stay lit due to the air coming in through the cob. Never tried it myself but that is what I have heard.
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby ScotsJim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm

It could be a Legend. Most of the cobs I've seen here in the UK have been Legends. My first cob was a bent Legend just like that, with the orange stem.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:53 am

I agree with John. No real break in needed. Most just wipe them out after smoking and don't try to build a cake ... but I've heard others do build a cake in them. They're so cheap you can do whatever you want. I wipe mine out and don't let a cake build ... just my preference. I started with those but now enjoy a larger size like the Diplomat. Enjoy your cob!
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Wez » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:08 am

jwh891 wrote:A. Cobs don't need any much of a breaking in period. That is one of the nice things about cobs. The first few smokes may taste sweeter and depending on how the shank is built you may burn into that wood at the end of the first few bowls until it becomes charred and a cake is built up.

+1

jwh891 wrote:
just don't smoke it outside in the wind as natural finish will burn out rather quickly

A couple of months ago I filled my legend with som CH and went off for a 30 minute walk, I never quite realised how windy it was, I had about two puffs from that bowl, the wind smoked the rest...lesson learned.
Wez

"Well, I guess I'll just leave it at that" - OldPipePops
Wez

Postby ScotsJim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am

Smoking burley in the wind is like taking a block of ice out of your freezer and into the garden in mid July to ice sculpt :lol:

Buy a wee hat ( metal lid to you matey ) for your pipe.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby ChuckMac » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:41 pm

francism wrote:I don't remember what the shop called it, but it looks a lot like the "Missouri pride corncob pipe"
http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php? ... 269&page=1

Heh, I was smoking it within 5 mins of leaving the shop, then having just missed the bus, was smoking it for an hour outside the bus station, I just hope I did not damage the bowl.

It does have a very dry smoke to it. And stays very cool, Im haveing second thoughts about getting the bent stem, but thats just me.

That's identical to my MM Missouri Pride. A damn good smoker for sure.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby Falconeer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:47 pm

The only thing I do with Legends once I have the stem protrusion well charred is to fill the bottom of the bowl to the smoke hole with pipe mud which I find helps them on no end. Make up mud quite stiff, inser pipe cleaner into pipe, fill the bottom of the bowl with mud, tamp it down with a wet finger, leave 24 hours and you are in business

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Wez » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:01 pm

What's pipe mud?

Whatever it is, it sounds like I need some.
Wez

"Well, I guess I'll just leave it at that" - OldPipePops
Wez

Postby KevLa » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Wez wrote:What's pipe mud?...

There are various recipes. The only time I've used pipe mud was when I received my first cob (a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman) and found there to be a hole in the bottom of the bowl, covered only by the sticker. Following advice from my fellow Tamp-and-Puffers, I mixed a bit of ash with a bit of my spit and let this "mud" dry in the bottom of the bowl. Did this two or three times and my cob was good to go. It's a great smoke, now :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm

francism wrote:Just got my first corncob pipe from c ashtons...

I just realised that you bought this pipe from C. J. Aston's. What did you think to the place?
I visit Manchester about once a month, so perhaps we could arrange to meet up some time, if you're interested? :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby BrownPipeMan » Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 pm

KevLa wrote:
francism wrote:Just got my first corncob pipe from c ashtons...

I just realised that you bought this pipe from C. J. Aston's. What did you think to the place?
I visit Manchester about once a month, so perhaps we could arrange to meet up some time, if you're interested? :)

Went here for the first time a couple of weeks ago, an amazing place, pity I live so far from it.... was trying to convince them to get online, there were some amazing pipes in there I would spend my hard earned cash on!
BrownPipeMan

Postby Merkurio24 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 am

I just got my first, no wait, second corncob. I got my first cob on Sunday and fell in love with it after the first smoke. I just got another one, a natural which am smoking now. I like that unlike briars, you can actually taste the tobacco on this pipes. Enjoy your corn cob pipe!
Last edited by Merkurio24 on Fri May 18, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I'm addicted to buying pipes not to smoking them.
Merkurio24

Postby SidStavros » Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 am

No need for a broken In, for the first bowl you just not fill it to the top with tobacco.No matter how you clean it before 1st smoke they still will have some detritus of corn/glue etc inside. After the 1st bowl you clean it again and in the 2th you fill it up to the top with your favorite tobacco.
SidStavros

Postby Deimitori » Sun May 20, 2012 11:45 pm

SidStavros wrote:No need for a broken In, for the first bowl you just not fill it to the top with tobacco.No matter how you clean it before 1st smoke they still will have some detritus of corn/glue etc inside. After the 1st bowl you clean it again and in the 2th you fill it up to the top with your favorite tobacco.

I agree with my friend SidStavros!
Deimitori

Postby Taspiper » Sat May 26, 2012 7:35 am

I think they are better once the stems darken inside and the corn gets all busted arse looking but I don't break them in as such, just smoke em.
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby KevLa » Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 am

Taspiper wrote:...I don't break them in as such, just smoke em.

Ditto :)
KevLa

Postby Anthorn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm

According to the blurb I've read, yes they do need breaking in to get rid of the wood stem at the bottom of the bowl. The blurb say as soon as you smell wood give a few more puffs and by the third smoke the stem should be gone. Personally I can't do it because I don't have an asbestos mouth and as soon as I taste wood I have to stop. I have a Diplomat which attracts the flame to the top of the bowl and the only one of my cobs that does that. Consequently it has burns all around the rim but curious that it's my best smoker.
Favourite tobacco: Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Kendal Brown Twist (Sliced Brown Bogie), Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, Dunhill My Mixture 965, Ashton Artisan's Blend, Peterson Irish Flake. Most disiked tobacco: Peterson Sunset Breeze, Samuel Gawith Perfection.
Anthorn

Next

Return to Non-briar pipes